Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questionable advice from embassy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Questionable advice from embassy

A friend was applying for a visa to China and was informed by the Chinese official that if his flight was delayed his visa would not be valid. This seems unlikely to me. Anyone know what they were likely trying to say?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:19 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Some people will book a refundable ticket, get their visa, and then cancel their flight. I am not believing that a delay will have any affect after receiving the visa.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zkzkz
A friend was applying for a visa to China and was informed by the Chinese official that if his flight was delayed his visa would not be valid. This seems unlikely to me. Anyone know what they were likely trying to say?
Huh? I've been delayed 8 hours, no visa problem.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:47 am
qpr

Which embassy told you that in which country?

Your friend applied for what kind of visa?

For example a tourist L visa is valid for 3 months after issue.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Chinese immigration is practical. Involuntary changes to an itinerary while at the airport on the day of departure will not be subject to penalty.

If there is a delay or penalty which will push the passenger over their allowed stay I would make sure they proceed to the airport (or other exit point) to make contact with immigration. Don't simply stay at the hotel and take the flight the next day without telling anyone.

For flight delays or cancellation which are still within visa validity, or even if you just change your mind and want to stay longer - no problems. The passenger is free to make alternative arrangements as long as their new flights depart before the visa runs out.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:54 am

I think that we may not have the whole story here.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There would be a problem if the person were planning to enter China on the last possible date for doing so. Then a delay (long enough to mean that the flight would arrive the next day) would mean that the person has no valid visa. However, since this wouldn't be the passenger's fault, I'm not sure what the Chinese immigration officials would do. In the extreme, if it were a delay that arose after the flight had left its departure gate (i.e., a delay while sitting on the tarmac), the passenger would have no good options for deplaning. A similar situation could arise if a flight to China were diverted overnight. However, these very rare situations just seem to say that there's some risk associated with planning to enter China on the last possible day for your visa.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There would be a problem if the person were planning to enter China on the last possible date for doing so. Then a delay (long enough to mean that the flight would arrive the next day) would mean that the person has no valid visa. However, since this wouldn't be the passenger's fault, I'm not sure what the Chinese immigration officials would do. In the extreme, if it were a delay that arose after the flight had left its departure gate (i.e., a delay while sitting on the tarmac), the passenger would have no good options for deplaning. A similar situation could arise if a flight to China were diverted overnight. However, these very rare situations just seem to say that there's some risk associated with planning to enter China on the last possible day for your visa.
I almost found myself a test case for this. We decided to play it safe and get new visas. As scheduled we would land with 8 1/2 hours left on our visas. Due to a mechanical we hit customs with a few minutes left on the old visas but we had new ones anyway.

The new visas were because we couldn't get a clear answer on whether the date on the visa was an enter before or enter no later than.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.