Wiki Posts
Search

ICBC US Union Pay credit card experience

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
ICBC US Union Pay credit card experience

Can anyone share experiences of using ICBC US issued Union Pay credit card in China? TIA.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:10 pm

Can't comment on the ISBC US issued UnionPay credit card but I have a Bank of China Australia issued Unionpay Card as well as a Load and Go Union Pay card (Aussie post and BOC collaboration) and they don't work with online payment systems like Wechat pay and Alipay. Also can't use the ATM to transfer money out of these cards.
They work fine for withdrawing cash. I haven't tried them with in store POS terminal payments but that's exactly what they're designed for so there should be no problems there.
I think you will have a similar experience with your card. Have you attempted to register it onto Wechat Wallet or Alipay? Give it a try and let me know how it goes, I'm curious about that.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I made one purchase to test it out in Hong Kong, and it worked well. I'll have a more complete post on this thread. In short, I couldn't get QuickPass to work. The regular chip works, and there is no worry about DCC. While the card offers no foreign transaction fee, in practice the exchange rate with UnionPay is around 0.25-0.50% above the wholesale rate based on other reports and the posted transaction amount for my purchase.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

It failed at first try in SHA: at a Japanese, try to use it , the Union Pay POS did not take it
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by HowieG
It failed at first try in SHA: at a Japanese, try to use it , the Union Pay POS did not take it
Which was in Shanghai? There shouldn't be any issues if it is a native UnionPay terminal.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
No problem using the card in China but can confirm it doesn't attach to wechat, etc.

I can safely say though that their systems are the worst I've seen in any credit card I've used. The operation is a joke.

Here's an example related to my first bill:

1. I can't make electronic payment through Bank of America bill pay.
2. I sent them a physical check from Bank of America billpay
3. 11 days later they have no record of it
4. I receive an email reminding me of my late payment
5. I reply to that email with a screenshot showing proof I paid
6. I get an out of office reply from [firstname] [last name] that she is out, and to contact [name] for underwriting, [name] for operations, etc. without their email addresses. This is clearly an outlook out of office message intended for internal audiences
7. I search on linkedin and this person is listed as "SVP, Card Businesses"

d'OH!

The good news is I have her work email now and can correspond directly with an SVP.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by YariGuy
I can safely say though that their systems are the worst I've seen in any credit card I've used. The operation is a joke.
I haven't logged in for awhile, but they were looking to enable external ACH transfers last month. What I do is transfer money to a checking account I opened with them then do the immediate payment. With their poor website functionality, I didn't trust mailing a check or initiating the bill pay from my financial institution when electronic payment wasn't available.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki
I haven't logged in for awhile, but they were looking to enable external ACH transfers last month. What I do is transfer money to a checking account I opened with them then do the immediate payment. With their poor website functionality, I didn't trust mailing a check or initiating the bill pay from my financial institution when electronic payment wasn't available.
Just paid my March statement directly through the ICBC site—can confirm this is now enabled.

Now, just need to chase down my signup bonus, which has failed to post...
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Please fous on where you can and cannot use the card in China. How you repay ICBC USA is not the issue here. Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DIAMOND, AA/US TBD
I've recently traveled to China quite a bit and have been able to use my ICBC USA Gold UnionPay credit card everywhere. No issues at all, and never have had to enter my PIN. Their website to pay the bill is a bit clunky, but payments always go through.

The ICBC UnionPay card also has a NFC chip, which also worked for swipe-less payments in China at those terminals.
ispy likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by saturnsk
I've recently traveled to China quite a bit and have been able to use my ICBC USA Gold UnionPay credit card everywhere. No issues at all, and never have had to enter my PIN. Their website to pay the bill is a bit clunky, but payments always go through.

The ICBC UnionPay card also has a NFC chip, which also worked for swipe-less payments in China at those terminals.
Thanks for the report. You've been able to make contactless payments in China? When percysmith and I tried to use the contactless feature in Hong Kong, we couldn't get my card to work.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Can the US issued Union Pay credit card be used to setup Alipay and Wechat wallets?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mrjay
Can the US issued Union Pay credit card be used to setup Alipay and Wechat wallets?
No, it isn't recognised. The only workaround for this is if you know someone who can override the system and manually link it with your account.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Scifience
No, it isn't recognised. The only workaround for this is if you know someone who can override the system and manually link it with your account.
Did you get this done for you? That would be very valuable for me...

More than a year of using the card, and I would say the benefits are:

- no chance of DCC
- some POS machines that don't work with other international cards will take this card
- NFC (swipeless) function at Family Mart stores, even for very small purchases

Some things I don't like:

- does not link to wechat
- sub-par (but acceptable) exchange rate
- does not work everywhere
- website interface / functionality
- physical card: it's pretty cheap (digits are printed not embossed); the expiration date has rubbed off and they won't tell me what it is over the phone so I can't make purchases on the internet
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Did you get this done for you? That would be very valuable for me...
I got a friend who is an engineer at Alipay to link it to my account last year because he was curious if it would work, and it's still working now. I don't think this is replicable at scale, unfortunately; my understanding from him was that it wasn't the type of thing that could be done by a customer service person since it required low-level access that essentially would skip all the verification.

The important caveat that makes it less useful than it sounds is that many things you might want to pay for don't take credit cards at all (domestic or otherwise)—you can't charge your wallet with a UnionPay credit card, only a debit card, for instance; bike deposits are the same deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.