Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

I find the customs entry x-ray procedure to be moronic, anyone else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:17 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

I recently experienced this flying to XIY on UA's new service. After immigration/passport control and gathering bags (which were smooth and quick by the way), we had to wait in a 45 minute (seriously) line after planeloads of other passengers. For screening of our bags by big old-style x-ray machines.

They only had 2 of these slow-moving machines for several hundred passengers. And the stupidest thing of all: only bags were screened, nothing on your person or jackets/etc. The bored x-ray operators hardly looked at the passengers walking through.

I suppose Chinese authorities believe things are only smuggled in baggage? I was fuming at this ridiculousness.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by TA
I recently experienced this flying to XIY on UA's new service. After immigration/passport control and gathering bags (which were smooth and quick by the way), we had to wait in a 45 minute (seriously) line after planeloads of other passengers. For screening of our bags by big old-style x-ray machines.

They only had 2 of these slow-moving machines for several hundred passengers. And the stupidest thing of all: only bags were screened, nothing on your person or jackets/etc. The bored x-ray operators hardly looked at the passengers walking through.

I suppose Chinese authorities believe things are only smuggled in baggage? I was fuming at this ridiculousness.
I can't answer for the procedures at XIY specifically, but at Shanghai they screen all incoming baggage on very rare occasions. But the screening is pretty quick.

Couple reasons they might do this... one to act as 'deterrence' the other is if they are looking for something in particular (on that day or on that flight).

Things they might be looking for are those which are subject to duty, or which might be prohibited. In luggage this might include excess baby formula, or technology products (iphones etc). Baby formula is a big thing, there's a limit of 6 cans or something.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:21 pm

The know what they are looking for as said above.
Most of times in Beijing and Shanghai they only send a few passengers through these, usually Chinese.
Better than those places in the world when they inspect by hand.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I can't answer for the procedures at XIY specifically, but at Shanghai they screen all incoming baggage on very rare occasions. But the screening is pretty quick.

Couple reasons they might do this... one to act as 'deterrence' the other is if they are looking for something in particular (on that day or on that flight).

Things they might be looking for are those which are subject to duty, or which might be prohibited. In luggage this might include excess baby formula, or technology products (iphones etc). Baby formula is a big thing, there's a limit of 6 cans or something.
1. I've noticed a clear correlation between iPhone releases and additional screening at customs
2. I don't believe Mainland China cares a great deal about milk powder, but HK (on exit) does
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:35 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by TA
The bored x-ray operators hardly looked at the passengers walking through.

Originally Posted by moondog
1. I've noticed a clear correlation between iPhone releases and additional screening at customs
94 iphones on this guy.

Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:50 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by TA

Seems, just my experience in general, smaller airports check more, for me Xiamen checked, never in in Pudong and PEK, SHA airports seems more but also has few international flights. My guess is at smaller airports they have more time to check or do these things as there can be big gaps between flights, where as PVG/PEK there always are arrivals without much empty time, so best clear out passengers. They do pull out people, and myself before for books/printed items (once they saw it's school info, on the cover they do not care, or just ask me what is all the printed items).
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Smile

IME the land crossings in Shenzhen are the most aggressive wrt to both milk powder (Hk side) and iPhones (Sz side), but iPhone arbitrage has a very short window once or twice per year.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:19 am

"I found last year that there were crowds of people, but this year almost no one. I came an hour early thinking I'd have to wait a long time before getting seen," Wu said.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN11M01N

Iphone 7 sales in China taking a big hit.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF Gold
X-ray screening of luggage after pick-up can happen in many countries, not only China. It's also quite common in Brazil as example. But in most cases it's more a spot-check procedure or specific passengers are picked, and not a general procedure.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: various
I'd say this was abnormal and just unfortunate timing on your part. They were probably tipped off and looking for something/someone specific during that time period. Another possibility, if this was between late August and Sept 7, was that it was connected to heightened security due to the G20 Summit being held in Hangzhou.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by quaxpilot
X-ray screening of luggage after pick-up can happen in many countries, not only China. It's also quite common in Brazil as example. But in most cases it's more a spot-check procedure or specific passengers are picked, and not a general procedure.
True in BOM too. Many a times if I am coming thru ME3 airlines, they choose to xray just the carry on. Gulf countries are a source of gold and many pax bring it in. The Customs officer has an option to ask you to place all luggage on outbound x ray. They are also trained in behavior spotting.
This is a good thing.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:25 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by HMPS
True in BOM too. Many a times if I am coming thru ME3 airlines, they choose to xray just the carry on. Gulf countries are a source of gold and many pax bring it in. The Customs officer has an option to ask you to place all luggage on outbound x ray. They are also trained in behavior spotting.
This is a good thing.
This was definitely not happening in what I experienced. Aside from a few cleaning ladies walking through gates next to the line that led to an exit with otherwise no security supervision, not a single customs agent gave anyone a second look.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:07 pm

Looks like there was an anyone else on tripadvisor.
Level 6 Contributor
Forum Posts (9,772)

3. Re: staying over night at the air port
Jan 17, 2015, 4:45 PM
May not be related to staying in airport overnight, but I found Xian airport to have the toughest and strictest security screening and overall airport security in all airports I have used worldwide. Those are the meanest with most thorough searches anywhere.

Edited: 4:45 pm, January 17, 2015
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
IME the land crossings in Shenzhen are the most aggressive wrt to both milk powder (Hk side) and iPhones (Sz side), but iPhone arbitrage has a very short window once or twice per year.
Will that even happen with the iPhone 7 due to the anti-scalper policy they're using this time around?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by TA
This was definitely not happening in what I experienced. Aside from a few cleaning ladies walking through gates next to the line that led to an exit with otherwise no security supervision, not a single customs agent gave anyone a second look.
At the Customs (after immigration) there are two channels. RED & Green.
If you walk thru Green, you still a Customs officer who may or may not x ray the baggage etc.
Nevertheless there are senior plain clothes agents keeping an eye on the goings on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.