A burning question for the Xi'an or China experts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

I visited Xi'an about two weeks ago, this was my first trip to Xi'an, but my 4th or 5th time in mainland China. I've also visited a fair number of other countries.

I notice something in Xi'an that I've never really seen before and I wanted to ask if anyone can explain it.

Xi'an has a number of scooters/motorbikes on the road, some are mototaxi drivers. Xi'an also has Thai-style tuk tuks.

Anyway, I noticed that a strangely high percentage (50%?) of the scooters and tuk tuks I saw driving around Xi'an at night weren't using their headlights. Why not? Are their headlights all broken? Are they trying to save the bulb life? Are they trying to save gas by not using headlights?

Is using headlights as a sign of being wimp in Xi'an/China?

I never noticed this phenomenon in Beijing or Shanghai, was I not paying attention?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:07 pm

Same thing in Beijing. Dangerous as hell when these electric scooters, making no noise, are driving on the sidewalk with no lights. I think that there is a false belief that not using the lights is saving some money.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:26 pm

I doubt anyone ever replaces the bulbs when they burn out.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:36 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by JPDM
Same thing in Beijing. Dangerous as hell when these electric scooters, making no noise, are driving on the sidewalk with no lights. I think that there is a false belief that not using the lights is saving some money.
Seen cars..motorcycles..mopeds with no lights on after dark. Had to ask...what's up.

Answer was always...lights use energy...saves money on fuel to not run lights.

That was pre led lights. Now...what reasoning?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:02 am
Suspended

It's not a city-specific or a cultural thing. People just don't care.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Seen cars..motorcycles..mopeds with no lights on after dark. Had to ask...what's up.

Still the same because people may not know LED is more energy efficient? Also all lights have the chance of breaking, LED or not.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JPDM
Dangerous as hell when these electric scooters, making no noise, are driving on the sidewalk with no lights.
That's what I thought.

I wonder why they do this in China though, there are plenty of scooters in Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia, where people are often "poorer," and they still turn on the lights at night.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:06 am

Who needs headlamps?

A young Chinese boy who was born with brilliant blue eyes - like those of a Siamese cat - claims to have the ability to see in pitch darkness.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:48 am

It is just because they don't have such knowledge that light should be turned on at night.

In most Chinese cities, the electric scooters are categorized as bicycles by authorities and only allowed to run <=15km/h. No license, no training required for the rider.

The tuk-tuk-like vehicles are in fact illegal in most part of China, the drivers usually do not have any driving license. They just don't know it is safer when light on.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dongyeh
It is just because they don't have such knowledge that light should be turned on at night.

In most Chinese cities, the electric scooters are categorized as bicycles by authorities and only allowed to run <=15km/h. No license, no training required for the rider.

The tuk-tuk-like vehicles are in fact illegal in most part of China, the drivers usually do not have any driving license. They just don't know it is safer when light on.
I find that a bit hard to believe. I don't remember anyone educating me that lights should be turned on at night when I got my driver's license.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by dongyeh
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I find that a bit hard to believe. .
From their marketing material the manufacturer appears to be focused on
other features.

Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I find that a bit hard to believe. I don't remember anyone educating me that lights should be turned on at night when I got my driver's license.
Here it's in the driver's training handbook. (A matter of what the law says about when your lights must be turned on.)
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu

I've asked some people and they told me the same thing - saves electricity.

Dr. PITUK
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:12 am

I read an article regarding motorcycle riding in China from the past. It said you can not operate your headlamp if another vehicle is approaching within 500 ft. Running lights provide sufficient light to drive safely. Back 20 years ago that seems reasonable as speeds and traffic were less.

The thought was as a courtesy you should turn off headlamp so as not to blind oncoming driver. So most motorcycle drivers never used headlamps as they would risk breaking rules-law. Debunks the cost saving argument...supports compliance with communist rules.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:33 am

1989 American Motorcyclist
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.