Travelling to China- Any Advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling to China- Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

@sts: your last post was needlessly confusing with respect to the context of this thread. The OP didn't specify that she was using an Android, let alone a desire to tinker with settings.

The short answer to her question is that if she gets a VPN, she is good to go.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:42 am

" . . .if she gets a VPN, she is good to go."

Not if she signs up for my VPN at least, which even offers a special setting for inside the Mainland. Nearly impossible now to connect, at least through hotel wifi anywhere.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by 889
" . . .if she gets a VPN, she is good to go."

Not if she signs up for my VPN at least, which even offers a special setting for inside the Mainland. Nearly impossible now to connect, at least through hotel wifi anywhere.
I included the "that works in China" qualifier in post #3, so figured doing so in my last post would be needlessly redundant. Plus, we have another thread on VPNs.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:39 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by STS-134
One hotel I stayed at in Shanghai (not even a Western chain) about 4 years ago had the entire place VPNed through Taiwan. Then their VPN failed, and I couldn't access anything through the wifi for about 3-4 hours. That was extremely annoying. As long as their VPN is reliable, it's nice, but if it's going to be unreliable, I'd prefer to use my own.
I think using your own VPN is probably the most reliable way. I know it can be frustrating not getting anything (I have an Android too) on your phone. Moondog recommended a good VPN to me before, I forgot what it's called.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I think using your own VPN is probably the most reliable way. I know it can be frustrating not getting anything (I have an Android too) on your phone. Moondog recommended a good VPN to me before, I forgot what it's called.
I use Express VPN...lots of discussion about various VPNs in the VPN thread.

Your point about Androids being especially VPN reliant is worthy of highlighting. iPhones are fully functional in China without VPNs; even Gmail works (as a mail client only). So, apart from Google, you really only miss a bunch of websites that you can surely live without.

Androids set to English, by contrast, especially Google phones, need Google apps in order to perform basic functions (e.g. maps, email, camera, calendar) properly.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:31 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by moondog
I use Express VPN...lots of discussion about various VPNs in the VPN thread.

Your point about Androids being especially VPN reliant is worthy of highlighting. iPhones are fully functional in China without VPNs; even Gmail works (as a mail client only). So, apart from Google, you really only miss a bunch of websites that you can surely live without.

Androids set to English, by contrast, especially Google phones, need Google apps in order to perform basic functions (e.g. maps, email, camera, calendar) properly.
I couldn't even search for girls nearby with my Android
Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Using AT&T data roaming and sites are still block. The VPN is working although I have to switch locations once in awhile. Keep in my mind that a VPN will increase your overhead so you will go through data a lot quicker than anticipated.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
Using AT&T data roaming and sites are still block. The VPN is working although I have to switch locations once in awhile. Keep in my mind that a VPN will increase your overhead so you will go through data a lot quicker than anticipated.
Flush your DNS cache. There's no way sites can be blocked using AT&T roaming as all data gets tunneled through AT&T (or are you on wifi?). But if you got a bad DNS entry from a Chinese DNS server when connected to wifi, that entry can get cached and used even when you're on AT&T, which would mean you'd be unable to access the sites.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by STS-134
Flush your DNS cache. There's no way sites can be blocked using AT&T roaming as all data gets tunneled through AT&T (or are you on wifi?). But if you got a bad DNS entry from a Chinese DNS server when connected to wifi, that entry can get cached and used even when you're on AT&T, which would mean you'd be unable to access the sites.
I've flushed my DNS. When I am connected through cellular, it shows China Mobile and not AT&T.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
I've flushed my DNS. When I am connected through cellular, it shows China Mobile and not AT&T.
What do you see when you go to whatismyipaddress.com (make sure wifi is disconnected)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.