Wiki Posts
Search

First Trip to Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Starwood
First Trip to Shanghai

Hi folks, I'll be making my first trip to Shanghai in a few weeks and I was hoping to get some suggestions about airport to hotel transportation. I'll be coming in to PVG and staying at the Crowne Plaza Fudan near Fudan University. Not sure if I should just grab a taxi or how easy that will be.

A second question is the best way to get a little yuan before I go. I know I can just order up from Travelex and have them ship it to the house, but I was wondering if there was a better/faster/cheaper method than that.

Thanks!
Old May 13, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
1. Print out the hotel address in Chinese. After you finish with immigration/bags/customs there will be signs to the taxi queue (in English^) The line might be long but it will move fast. (there's usually someone managing the line - assume it's an airport employee? I show that person my address and s/he'll make sure the taxi driver knows & also sees the address.

2) I always use ATMs for money when traveling. Believe I checked a bag on my first trip to Shanghai and got money from an ATM en route to baggage claim or possibly en route to the taxi but in the airport in any event....

Last edited by Hoyaheel; May 13, 2016 at 2:40 pm
Old May 13, 2016, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1. The #5 bus can get you fairly close to Fudan, but isn't worth the hassle IMO
2. Use ATMs to get money
Old May 14, 2016, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Starwood
Thanks everyone. I checked with Viator, but the cost for prepaying was $188 round trip which seemed high. Guessing I will brave the taxi queue.
Old May 14, 2016, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by askias
Thanks everyone. I checked with Viator, but the cost for prepaying was $188 round trip which seemed high. Guessing I will brave the taxi queue.
IMO that's a ridiculous price unless you're getting a luxury vehicle with meet and greet service. However, why Viatour? This sounds more expensive that the hotel's car service is likely to charge.

The hotel is well located (and the best around) for events at Fudan, but otherwise it's a bit away from the center of Shanghai and most tourist attractions. It's located roughly halfway between a "new" subway line (the station is almost underneath a large modern mall) that goes toward the Bund and the old elevated line.

A couple years ago, the metered taxi fare was around 200 yuan one way between this area and PVG. Depending on traffic, the taxi might take a big semicircular route on expressways that skirt central Shanghai; don't be alarmed if this happens. It doesn't seem to affect the fare versus going straight through the center and encountering more traffic.
Old May 22, 2016, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by askias
$188 is beyond ridiculous. Brave. The taxi queue - they seem pretty legit at PVG. OR take the maglev. You'll face a bit more BS re taxi's at the station there, but worth it to take the Maglev.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.