Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai disneyland

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 10:05 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
Only 10,000 people per day have gone thus far, and on some days (e.g when one company rents out the entire park), much less. I'm puzzled how that could be worse than HK or Tokyo.
Its not open yet, this is the soft opening period.
Attendance is limited to staff members, their families, and invited guests.
A figure of 10K is consistent with startup.

Probably could fit 10K in that castle alone.

Old May 24, 2016, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Its not open yet, this is the soft opening period.
Attendance is limited to staff members, their families, and invited guests.
If your definition of "invited" entails forking over ~1 million cny to ensure your employees/clients are welcome, then I suppose we're on the same page.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:32 am

If your definition of "invited" entails forking over ~1 million cny to ensure your employees/clients are welcome, then I suppose we're on the same page.
Invitation has self addressed stamped "red envelope" enclosed for remittance
of consideration.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:36 am

Invitation has self addressed stamped "red envelope" enclosed for remittance
of consideration.
I know you're joking, but lest others be mislead, I feel compelled to point out that these schemes are completely above board.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:50 am

I know you're joking, but lest others be mislead, I feel compelled to point out that these schemes are completely above board.
Yes, the cost to rent out the park for a private event would be closer to 30,000,000 rmb.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:02 pm

Yes, the cost to rent out the park for a private event would be closer to 30,000,000 rmb.
To the best of my knowledge, only a handful of organizations have rented out the entire park, and the number is quite a bit shy of 30 million.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:12 pm

To the best of my knowledge, only a handful of organizations have rented out the entire park, and the number is quite a bit shy of 30 million.
I would imagine its discounted as the park is not fully functioning and it brings in some form of revenue, rather than just handing out complimentary passes.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:00 pm

Disney Dwayne

Boots on the ground highlights of Shanghai Disneyland.

Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Disney Dwayne

Boots on the ground highlights of Shanghai Disneyland.

Crowd Culture at Shanghai Disneyland - YouTube
I don't know if this guy was specifically looking for problems, but I was there on opening day and the day after (June 16/17) and I didn't see anything like this. I did notice that people will start creeping past you in line if you stand still; so what, I just pushed past them until I reached my original spot.

In two days there, the worst I saw was this illiterate moron who apparently can't read signs in both English and Chinese:

That lawn area in Fantasyland? Spotless. No trash to be seen.

The fireworks show was a bit disappointing. Very few high bursts like you see at Disneyland in California. Just low streamers and stuff like that for the most part. Well, they did have high bursts on the first night, in the 10 minute sequence after the show but that was a one time thing for the grand opening.

Check out the difference. This was the second night's show that I recorded from Mickey Avenue:

First night's show, recorded from Gardens of Imagination. Includes the bonus fireworks from the Grand Opening:

BTW, if you are going and planning to watch the fireworks, don't get too close to the Castle. Those black boxes are the projectors for the lighting on the Castle during the show, and they'll block your view if you get too close (as you can see, my view was blocked a little bit on the right side).

Last edited by STS-134; Jul 19, 2016 at 1:35 pm
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:57 am

From Dwayne's video, looks like they need to install some benches inside the Magic Castle.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
From Dwayne's video, looks like they need to install some benches inside the Magic Castle.
I wouldn't do that. It would make the area in there feel too cramped. Also I didn't see very many people sitting on the ground like he did; maybe it was an especially hot day and they were looking for a cooler place to sit?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
I wouldn't do that. It would make the area in there feel too cramped. Also I didn't see very many people sitting on the ground like he did; maybe it was an especially hot day and they were looking for a cooler place to sit?
I agree...the video was posted a few days ago...so temp in Shanghai now running close to 100 degrees and 90% humidity. Castles tend to stay cool
as they are made of solid stone, or at least some shade and stone floor.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:44 pm

I agree...the video was posted a few days ago...so temp in Shanghai now running close to 100 degrees and 90% humidity. Castles tend to stay cool
There are so many better places to cool down, if you know where to look for them.

1. The eating area across from Barbossa's Bounty. Part of it is even used as a backdrop for Pirates of the Caribbean (the equivalent of Blue Bayou at Disneyland although it's not full service)
2. The queue for Soarin Over the Horizon
3. The queue for TRON
4. The eating area behind Wandering Moon Teahouse

I'm sure there are more but those are the places that come to mind. Unlike the center of the Castle, those places actually have air conditioning.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Originally Posted by STS-134
I don't know if this guy was specifically looking for problems, but I was there on opening day and the day after (June 16/17) and I didn't see anything like this.
I was there at the same time as you, and definitely saw some of what was in the video. Huge crowds sitting the castle walkways blocking traffic, check. Kids peeing in the landscaping, check. People shoving past you in line, check (of course, that was everywhere, not just Disneyland). And as in your photo, people smoking pretty much anywhere they felt like it.

I do agree with your choices of places to cool off. I ended up in Tribal Table a couple times myself, as I'm not a fan of river rapids rides, and I waited out my friends there.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Fake Chinese solid stone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.