Chengdu worth visiting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chengdu worth visiting?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
We will stay 3 nights ( 2 full days) in Chengdu mid-August.

Plan is mostly to recover smoothly from jet-lag but how would you spend both days ?

Day 1: Panda farm
Day 2: ?
Old May 22, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: http://www.chengdutravelagency.com
HI,
3 nights 2 full days?There are a lot of places worth visiting.Such as Mount Emei,Leshan Giant Buddha,Dujiangyan water conservancy project, Qingcheng mountain,Sanxingdui Museum,Huanglongxi ancient town.
I suggest you this itinerary.
itinerary
Day1,you fly to chengdu.overnight in chengdu.
Day2,You become the panda volunteer.afternoon 16:00,go to Emeishan,overnight in emeishan.
Day3,go to golden dome,Watch the clouds sea and temple Temple.afternoon visit to Leshan Giant Buddha,and then back to chengdu.

Of course, you can also visit mount Qingcheng and Dujiangyan water conservancy project.
Old May 22, 2016, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sichuanguide
On May 11,Wolong Giant Panda Reserve Shenshuping panda base the opening ceremony
After efforts,, the Wolong Giant Panda Reserve - Shenshuping base has been open. Wolong Base that was destroyed by 2008 earthquake. The new Wolong base is located in Gengda. The CCRCGP built two new centers to replace the original Wolong base that was destroyed by the earthquake of 2008. The new centers are located in Dujiangyan and Gengda. Dujiangyan was completed in 2013. Arrangements must be made with the Dujiangyan base for volunteering or visiting the pandas. The Gengda center was completed late 2012. Opening to the public was delayed due to the roads being impassable due several catastrophes (washout, rock slides). It is now ready for visitors, ergo the re-opening. The old Wolong center is used by the CCRCGP for its wild training release program.

Closed for several years due to the earthquake, wolong giant panda reserve is expected to be opened for tourist again from May 12th. There are more than 32 giant pandas in this reserve.Base is giant panda breeding areas, wild training areas, wildlife public education area, there are 59 set of giant pandas housing, tourist center, office building scientific research, popular science education center, the vet, giant panda transition, wild training and other supporting hardware facilities.

The Shenshuping panda base, away from the Chengdu 105 km,ticket 90 Yuan/per.
Thanks for the info. My short time I spent in Sichuan was well worth it. For those having more than a few days and willing to try to adventure, make your way to the 4 sisters mountain area (Siguniangshan). Was a bit of a PITA to get there but probably one of my fondest memories of China.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:07 pm

Yes, Chengdu-Wolong Panda Bse - Balang mountain-Siguniang mountain,This route, it is very beautiful.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Hello! Heading to Chengdu for 3 nights (2 1/2 days) in early January. I'll be staying at the Sofitel by the river (I know it has mixed reviews, but got their opera suite for very cheap on a flash sale and with various perks it seemed hard to refuse).

Is it fine (as in both safe and pleasant) to walk in Chengdu? (mostly in the centre, roaming towards People's park, Tianfu square, Jin Li street and the likes or basically any other central area people would recommend!).

In a vastly original move [ ] I do fancy a half day or day trip to meet the pandas. In this thread, four different places are mentioned - is it worth going to one of the three more remote ones compared to the panda research base in Chengdu proper? Are there major differences between them beyond the "hold a panda" option (I'm considering it but it seems quite expensive. I need someone to convince me that they have done it and it has changed their life forever!! ). Great thread with lots of other useful recommendations which I'll be sure to use!
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:14 pm

Good morning
If you want to watch Sichuan Opera , I advise you to Park,Shufengyayun the show is the best in chengdu.
in chengdu panda base,There have stopped holding the Panda program. If you want to hold a Panda only in dujiangyan.....
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:59 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Is it fine (as in both safe and pleasant) to walk in Chengdu? (mostly in the centre, roaming towards People's park, Tianfu square, Jin Li street and the likes or basically any other central area people would recommend!).
The least safe aspect about most of China is the person behind the wheel/pedal/mobile phone. As for personal safety, it's extremely safe.

I'd say Chengdu is one of the more pleasant places to stroll, at least downtown.

One thing I appreciate about more and more Chinese cities is that they are creating decent pathways along canals, creeks, and rivers; Chengdu is one example of this.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
The least safe aspect about most of China is the person behind the wheel/pedal/mobile phone. As for personal safety, it's extremely safe.

I'd say Chengdu is one of the more pleasant places to stroll, at least downtown.

One thing I appreciate about more and more Chinese cities is that they are creating decent pathways along canals, creeks, and rivers; Chengdu is one example of this.
Thanks that's very helpful! Yes, I guess my main fear was "killer traffic" or what felt a bit like it in some of the larger cities I visited in the past (though nowhere as scary as Jakarta and the likes!). Glad Chengdu sounds like one of the more practicable ones as I love walking and if I understand correctly, January should be a more pleasant time of the year to walk about than anything summery!
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:54 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Just know that the smog can be quite bad in Dec/Jan
3pm can be dark already.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
3pm can be dark already.
Ouch!! Thanks!!
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
3pm can be dark already.
Perhaps the darkness is solely due to smog, but the sun never sets in Chengdu prior to 6p.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Smog or no smog, it's quite rare to actually see the sun out in Chengdu. It's always misty and overcast, which add to the air quality problem. Last winter, I unwittingly left the window of my hotel room open overnight (because it was quite pleasant, about 60F/17?C). I ended up waking up in the middle of sleep with a cough, something that had not happened to me by my best recollection.

The Panda Research Base is within city limits, but it's quite time consuming to get there and back because of the snarling traffic. I got there first thing in the morning, setting out before sunrise. I thought it was well worth the effort, because panda feeding time is around 8 or 9 am (check the website). They are active until about 10 am, and then fall fast asleep by the time the crowds arrive by tour bus.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:59 pm

Yes, see the pandas, the best time is in the morning.This afternoon, the pandas are resting in his room.from last May at the Chengdu Panda base, there cannot hold a Panda.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:17 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

If you want to hold a panda, then you will have to go to the China Conservation and Research Center for the Giant Panda Dujiangyan Base. It's northwest of Chengdu. I did it in July and it cost 1800 RMB. I also volunteered to clean and feed the pandas which cost me 700 RMB. It was an expensive day, but worth the experience if you love pandas.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:21 pm

Chengdu is worth going if you really want to see Panda....

I would recommend Niccolo and Temple House as they are the best boutique hotels in the central city. However I will stay at Fairmont for one night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.