Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
China Flight Delays Thread
Please share your non-CX / KA experiences

PLEASE post your CX / KA delays in the dedicated thread in the Cathay Pacific / DragonAir forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-asia-miles/1596758-china-flight-delays.html

Moondog: Here are my thoughts with respect to the Wikipost content:
Please post your delay experience in the following format, in reverse chronological order for currency:
  1. Background (including airport or region if appropriate (or airline, flight number, origin and destination,) delay period and nature of delay as pertinent
  2. Current status
  3. Alternatives to flying

September

August

Note: Moondog suggested a wiki for this. A wiki is a community-maintained product; moderators do not intervene as long as Rules are not being violated, or unless requested. This format is suggested, but the community can choose alternatives. /JDiver, Senior Moderator
Print Wikipost

Flight Delays

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DernierVirage
How will this work, does it mean that this thread will disappear and be replaced?
No. This thread will continue as normal. Check our the TWOV thread for reference.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:31 am

Took HSR (G4, NKG-PEK nonstop) and guess what.. almost an hour delay

Those trains on the same route but with stops had even more delay (up to 80min was shown for some)

(At least it was in First class, so not that bad..)
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
7 a.m Monday, sitting in an empty lounge at BJS. 40 minutes from getting out of the car to the lounge, but most of that was in the queue for security, which seemed slower than usual, even for a Monday morning. Everything seems on time today, beautiful weather, so I decided to share the good news!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
7 a.m Monday, sitting in an empty lounge at BJS. 40 minutes from getting out of the car to the lounge, but most of that was in the queue for security, which seemed slower than usual, even for a Monday morning. Everything seems on time today, beautiful weather, so I decided to share the good news!
It's sad that flights being on time has become news.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's sad that flights being on time has become news.
I actually spoke too soon!! I have just got into the arrivals lounge, KA905 arrived in HKG exactly one hour late. Not a big deal, but it was quite interesting stuff....

Boarding was on schedule, doors closed at 8.10 a.m, not bad at all for an 8.00 a.m departure, so I was already feeling pretty good. But not so fast....10 minutes later the captain tells us that we don't have a departure time, since the military air exercises that were planned to start at 9 a.m (and which he had been expecting to avoid) have already started early and that we have no idea when the airspace will be clear. He also mentioned that ATC had informed him that the PLA was not even replying to their requests for information and so they, like everyone else, would have to wait ! I settled down for a long wait, but surprisingly we got away less than an hour later, wheels were up at 9.20.

Further proof, not that we need any, that you can't breathe a sigh of relief until you feel the wheels leave the runway.

Last edited by DernierVirage; Aug 9, 2015 at 11:24 pm Reason: Typing mistake corrected
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:39 am

Currently writing while on board MU207 (PVG-YYZ) somewhere over the Pacific. New 777-300, comfortable herringbone seats in business, and free WIFI. As usual, much left to be desired in terms of service and food. Flight departed 25 minutes behind schedule, which I can live with.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I actually spoke too soon!! I have just got into the arrivals lounge, KA905 arrived in HKG exactly one hour late. Not a big deal, but it was quite interesting stuff....

Boarding was on schedule, doors closed at 8.10 a.m, not bad at all for an 8.00 a.m departure, so I was already feeling pretty good. But not so fast....10 minutes later the captain tells us that we don't have a departure time, since the military air exercises that were planned to start at 9 a.m (and which he had been expecting to avoid) have already started early and that we have no idea when the airspace will be clear. He also mentioned that ATC had informed him that the PLA was not even replying to their requests for information and so they, like everyone else, would have to wait ! I settled down for a long wait, but surprisingly we got away less than an hour later, wheels were up at 9.20.

Further proof, not that we need any, that you can't breathe a sigh of relief until you feel the wheels leave the runway.
I would suggest holding the sigh of relief until you're out of Chinese air space.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:33 pm

I've never had surprises come after we were airborne. Even if the flight needs to route through longer corridors, these are announced and known at boarding already.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:35 am

July 25 dragon air flight PVG/HK delayed 2+ hrs, thank god my connection to Bkk was 2 1/2hrs long so just made it, along my checked bag
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
July 25 dragon air flight PVG/HK delayed 2+ hrs, thank god my connection to Bkk was 2 1/2hrs long so just made it, along my checked bag
2.5 hour connection from PVG thru HKG isn't worth risking. You're lucky you made it. 6 hours is a reasonable MCT these days and even then there is a chance of missing your connection.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:12 am

I don't remember the last time my flight was on-time for any flights in China. It's almost always at least 1 hour delay, and of course more often than not it's 2-3 hours delay.

As for bullet trains being delayed for one hour, that's disturbing...
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I don't remember the last time my flight was on-time for any flights in China. It's almost always at least 1 hour delay, and of course more often than not it's 2-3 hours delay.

As for bullet trains being delayed for one hour, that's disturbing...
I have good luck between Shenzhen and Nanning/Guilin.

PEK-SHA is also usually surprisingly okay (methinks the big 3 used substantial political capital in order to preserve their livelihood on this route).

But, Shanghai to points south (e.g. Shenzhen/HK) and west (e.g. Nanning/Guilin/Chengdu) is about as bad as it gets.

I've only experienced one train delay during the past 20 years, and it wasn't that bad. Still, I prefer flying to Beijing during normal times. And, for Nanning/Guilin/Shenzhen/HK, flying is really the only choice apart from not traveling (8 hour delays or not). The trains are a nice option in theory, but getting from Gaungzhou to HK really isn't that easy.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
2.5 hour connection from PVG thru HKG isn't worth risking. You're lucky you made it. 6 hours is a reasonable MCT these days and even then there is a chance of missing your connection.
I was in no rush to get to Bkk as it was friday; worst case scenario, overnight in HK. Waiting 6 hours at airport is NOT an acceptable option for me, POV.

Last edited by dtsm; Aug 13, 2015 at 7:46 am Reason: Typo, missed the work NOT LOL
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
I was in no rush to get to Bkk as it was friday; worst case scenario, overnight in HK. Waiting 6 hours at airport is an acceptable option for me, POV.
I'm also semi cool with waiting in airports for 6 hours. However, the tarmac waits can be exceptionally unpleasant.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm also semi cool with waiting in airports for 6 hours. However, the tarmac waits can be exceptionally unpleasant.
Corrected a typo in previous post, forgot the word NOT
And totally agree tarmac waits are the pits......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.