Reload this Page >

exchange at Beijing airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

exchange at Beijing airport

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 3:14 am

You need your passport and many but not all bank can do this in the center of the city. Waiting time at the bank can be long so I prefer the airport for the small difference in pricing.
I heard about these machines too but never saw one.
Old May 9, 2015, 3:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
You need your passport and many but not all bank can do this in the center of the city. Waiting time at the bank can be long so I prefer the airport for the small difference in pricing.
I heard about these machines too but never saw one.
The machines are the way to go for smallish exchanges.
Old May 17, 2015, 1:40 pm

DO the machines in China surcharge like the ones in Thailand (with an additional surcharge) such as the THB 150 or 180 or whatever it is this week in the Kingdom?
Old May 18, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by moondog
I did a site search on beijingholiday because I was curious to read about the "fake 100 from the ATM", but couldn't find it. And, your LP quote makes absolutely no mention of banks distributing fake money (so is of ZERO relevance to this topic).

As for your question, here's a question in return for you: if 10 stones each weigh 10 pounds, which stone is the heaviest?
Although I too have not come across fake bills, I do believe they exist (not sure if they are more common than fake US$20 to be fair).

Re: fakes from an ATM, my understanding is that unlike western ATMs that take deposits and give withdrawals, where the two transactions are completely separate, in a Chinese ATM, the cash for withdrawal draws upon recently deposited notes. In which case, one could end up with fakes. I've heard it's best to withdraw from machines that don't take deposit, but I have withdrawn hundreds of thousands in cash and not had any problem.

tb
Old May 21, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by wanderlustoz
DO the machines in China surcharge like the ones in Thailand (with an additional surcharge) such as the THB 150 or 180 or whatever it is this week in the Kingdom?
I have not found there to be an ATM fee in China (not saying it doesn't exist, but not on the many ATMs I've used).

Of course, your bank may charge a fee for withdrawals from a "foreign" ATM.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
Re: fakes from an ATM, my understanding is that unlike western ATMs that take deposits and give withdrawals, where the two transactions are completely separate, in a Chinese ATM, the cash for withdrawal draws upon recently deposited notes. In which case, one could end up with fakes. I've heard it's best to withdraw from machines that don't take deposit, but I have withdrawn hundreds of thousands in cash and not had any problem.
Actually I have heard of a case where someone put fake bills into a withdrawal only machine. However, I do not think that it is possible for it to be withdrawn by the next person.

Basically the trick is to do a withdrawal, take the notes out, then quickly put fake notes back in. The machine will think that you didn't take your money and take them all back.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tauphi
Actually I have heard of a case where someone put fake bills into a withdrawal only machine. However, I do not think that it is possible for it to be withdrawn by the next person.

Basically the trick is to do a withdrawal, take the notes out, then quickly put fake notes back in. The machine will think that you didn't take your money and take them all back.
I remember that used to work at the Chuck E Cheese (kids arcade) when I was a kid, didn't think an ATM would fail like that.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.