Wiki Posts
Search

newbie questions re: ATM cash machines

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
newbie questions re: ATM cash machines

I have searched but wanted some current info...am nervous about my upcoming trip in June to Beijing, Shanghai, then Hong z
Kong. Have been to HK twice but not since 1996.

I have a Wells Fargo Plus/VISA ATM card with a 4 digit PIN. Will the 4 digit PIN work in China?

I know to notify my bank about travel.

My ATM card is mag stripe. Will that suffice?

Should I try for a chip card?

Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You'll be fine. My Schwab card has a four digit pin, and I use it ATMs almost daily in both the PRC and hk. One in five machines don't like my card, but this isn't an issue in big cities. When in doubt, go for the big 4 banks.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by welltended
I have searched but wanted some current info...am nervous about my upcoming trip in June to Beijing, Shanghai, then Hong z
Kong. Have been to HK twice but not since 1996.

I have a Wells Fargo Plus/VISA ATM card with a 4 digit PIN. Will the 4 digit PIN work in China?

I know to notify my bank about travel.

My ATM card is mag stripe. Will that suffice?

Should I try for a chip card?

Thanks.
You can hit any ATM, however WF might charge you a conversion fee. I'm not familar with the Plus account type but look into the fees.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I am sure WF will have fees but they are better than traveling withtons of cash in my undergarments!
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
You'll be fine, no issues with WF cards. Just remember WF charges lots of fees for ATMs.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

WF travel checking/debit account

Went to WF today. For others who may be interested, WF in the DC area and maybe elsewhere offers a free special checking account and ATM card for travel. Card in only linked to the special travel checkibg account, not your other accounts. Can put money in, use ATM card to get currency at usual fees, but you get a few free ATM transactions. Can top up the checking account, etc. Might do that...my regular ATM card is linked to several accounts.

Thanks, all!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:52 pm

I work in Jiangsu Province and have a Wells Fargo account in Florida. I have used my regular ATM/Debit card (mag stripe) several times at Bank of China and Bank of Communications ATMs with no problem. Most ATMs offer English language options. The conversion rate has been fair and the only fee has been a $5.00 non-WF ATM withdrawal fee. NOTE: The most common problem I have seen with my coworkers and other expats is people leaving the card in the ATM, because unlike in the USA, your card is returned to you AFTER the cash is dispensed.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Very helpful, thank you! I shall be sure to retrieve my card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.