Reload this Page >

China no fire wall luxury hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China no fire wall luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:56 am

The latest "upgrade" to the GFW has blocked one of the VPNs I use (St***gVPN on both PC and mobile with local China number). I can try to see if using a foreign number makes a difference later today.

Incidentally using other VPNs (6x2 VPN, and one more) I can still connect from said PC and local mobile number as of now.

* VPN names revised to make it a bit less easy for Chinese monitors to pick up
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KIXman
The latest "upgrade" to the GFW has blocked one of the VPNs I use (St***gVPN on both PC and mobile with local China number). I can try to see if using a foreign number makes a difference later today.

Incidentally using other VPNs (6x2 VPN, and one more) I can still connect from said PC and local mobile number as of now.

* VPN names revised to make it a bit less easy for Chinese monitors to pick up
Using a foreign network is what makes a difference (I.e. phone number isn't relevant on WiFi), but data roaming is typically pricey (even for hk based plans).
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cooljw
IME all Hiltons in China route their internet servers through HK. HK is unaffected by the Great Firewall.
I have not stayed with hilton in china yet. Can anyone else confirm this? Just to get a vacation away from have to get around china's great firewall (also so I can quickly update my google play apps which I downloaded in the US) I might just move more of my business to Hilton while in china .
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by phiota
I have not stayed with hilton in china yet. Can anyone else confirm this? Just to get a vacation away from have to get around china's great firewall (also so I can quickly update my google play apps which I downloaded in the US) I might just move more of my business to Hilton while in china .
While fast internet at hotels is definitely nice, I couldn't fathom making this a deciding factor. 4g data with a good VPN blows away pretty much all WiFi in this country.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Using a foreign network is what makes a difference (I.e. phone number isn't relevant on WiFi), but data roaming is typically pricey (even for hk based plans).
I have a China mobile HK plan where data roaming in China is free (Up to my total limit of 5Gb combined with HK usage).
The setback is that it works only at EDGE speed.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Using hotel Internet svc

I had varied results at the IC CSX a couple of weeks ago. Most everything was blocked in the room. Public area Internet was 90% working.

At the GH Shenzhen in October, very sporadic Gmail access, no Facebook, etc. Guangzhou was was very different. The Grand Hyatt and Holiday Inn had almost no restrictions.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by kawaii
I'm having VPN issues in Shanghai at the moment, although friends and co-workers have noted that their HK or US-based cellphones seem to not have any issue. I wonder if this is one of those, if the GW knows you're not a local, then they really don't care about what you can access, things?
No it's got to do with how roaming works. When roaming you are still using your carrier's internet network not the roaming provider's internet network.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: Basement Lurker Club
Originally Posted by HKtraveller
I have a China mobile HK plan where data roaming in China is free (Up to my total limit of 5Gb combined with HK usage).
The setback is that it works only at EDGE speed.
Is that because of a limitation of your phone or the sim card?

EDIT: Found this
# The Mainland China 4G data roaming service is applicable to China Mobile's 4G TDD-LTE network which covers three bandwidths: 1900/2300/2600MHz. Availability of the service will depend on users' device model.
Sounds like a problem with your device not the service. For China Mobile, we TDD LTE over here and an weird version of CDMA for 3G where as HK uses more international standards. I've found the Chinese Mainland version of the OnePlus One is a great phone that works for most Asia LTE networks and China's homegrown version. Not very expensive either and better then most flagship phones on the market.

Though it would be nice if someone could confirm that TDD-LTE is available under this roaming plan.

Last edited by hessinger; Feb 7, 2015 at 2:02 am
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:34 am
Original Poster

FWIW am at hilton garden inn lijiang and the usual websites are still blocked. So guess not hiltons have this special feature. Also was blocked at hilton doubletree hangzhou.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:04 am

FWIW am at hilton garden inn lijiang and the usual websites are still blocked. So guess not hiltons have this special feature. Also was blocked at hilton doubletree hangzhou.
Why don't you have your own VPN?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Why don't you have your own VPN?
I do but it is pretty slow and sometimes hard to connect.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by cooljw
IME all Hiltons in China route their internet servers through HK. HK is unaffected by the Great Firewall.
I was unable to access Google, etc., from the Xi'an Hilton in March.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
The crowne plaza Chengdu panda garden have unfiltered internet (and it's very reasonably priced at around 100$/night).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.