Wiki Posts
Search

Airline choice (SHA-XIY)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Airline choice (SHA-XIY)

Hi all,

I mentioned in another thread that I wasn't going to fly and just do local trips, but I think that I have one decent weekend (2 nights, maybe 3) before I had back to Canada and am thinking of going to Xi'an. I have 2 'free' nights at the Kempinksi from my previous hotel stays so it would be a nice break even if all I saw was the TC warriors though the Hilton looks nice!

I do dread the crowds a little after my non-visit to the Forbidden City in Beijing!

I have looked at flight prices and they seem incredibly low, but I am looking for advice on airline. The direct options seem to be Juneyao, Shanghai Airlines, China Eastern and Spring Airline (I would prefer Hongqiao over Pudong). Any advice between these? First class seems like a decent price but is it 'worth' it with these airlines? I have a PP for lounge access and may not check luggage depending on the rules (rollaboard + backback with laptop and camera gear).

Thanks

Dr. PITUK

Last edited by painintheuk; Nov 22, 2014 at 1:55 am
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Ugh. That's a pretty bad list - especially if you're looking for comfort. IMO, from least worst to worst should China Eastern = Shanghai > Juneyao > Spring. That being said, at least Spring is completely clear that it is a no frills airline. If you take that into account, I think Spring is just fine (flew to HKG from PVG for under 350Y a few years ago!). Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with buying business/first class on 99% of domestic flights because the product is so underwhelming unless it was hugely discounted. New terminal out there is not terrible though.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: UA MP - 1K
If you can get domestic "First" for a decent price, I think it is definitely worth it (especially so, if you can get a wide-body aircraft, but don't think this route is served by any....).
However, I have only flown First on Air China & China Eastern, not on any of the airlines you mentioned.

Have taken around 20-25 domestic flights in the last 24 month within Mainland China and for the often very low premium, I definitely felt I got extra value.
My cutoff would probably be a 50% premium over regular Y pricing.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tnkngn
If you can get domestic "First" for a decent price, I think it is definitely worth it (especially so, if you can get a wide-body aircraft, but don't think this route is served by any....).
However, I have only flown First on Air China & China Eastern, not on any of the airlines you mentioned.

Have taken around 20-25 domestic flights in the last 24 month within Mainland China and for the often very low premium, I definitely felt I got extra value.
My cutoff would probably be a 50% premium over regular Y pricing.
SHA-XIY economy fares can usually be fetched for around Y250+ while first starts at Y1250+ to the best of my knowledge. That difference of Y1000 ($160) yields slightly better food and seating on the same crappy airplanes. Not an especially enticing value proposition to me.

As for the OP, here's how I'd approach the flying to Xi'an thing:
1) try to leave from Wuxi --and as a bonus-- on Shenzhen Airlines (flights from Wuxi on other airlines would also trump Shanghai if I were you because you live in Suzhou)
2) avoid PVG (in addition to being far away, Xi'an flights often get relegated to bus gates with sorry waiting areas in the armpit of the airport)
3) avoid Spring
-Spring features the nicest employees of any airline I've experienced in China, but the seats are uncomfortable enough to force me to steer clear
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Spring and Junyao have been really unreliable for me. As mentioned on other threads, thus far, purchased tickets three times. Airlines cancelled the flights within weeks of the flight to hours prior to flight.

Each time, ended up on China Eastern on standby.

While I am not a fan of China Eastern, I have ended up on them more for domestic then any other airline and they have treated me pretty well.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I didn't even realize Wuxi had an airport or that there would be direct flights anywhere useful - perfect!

I'm still not 100% sure I'll go but this certainly makes more sense than going to Shanghai.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Unless you got plenty of time up your sleeve i would avoid Spring Airlines.

A couple of times I've been at SHA and their flight has been cancelled. Other airlines were flying (albeit with delays), but no such luck on Spring.

First class? I'd say it's worth it. On a smaller aircraft such as the 737 or A320 it's gonna be pretty similar to domestic USA First in terms of seating. But The advantage is being able to skip queues, and get pretty prompt service on board.

I always fly F domestically, but then I fit my schedule around when the cheapest F fares are available (and sometimes F on China Eastern may be the same price as Y on Air China). You might not have that luxury.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
First class? I'd say it's worth it. On a smaller aircraft such as the 737 or A320 it's gonna be pretty similar to domestic USA First in terms of seating. But The advantage is being able to skip queues, and get pretty prompt service on board.
Even in cases when status doesn't help me get those queue skipping benefits, I never seem to wait more than a minute or two in lines (and luggage delivery times have been super fast of late). I'm also quite skilled at getting my choice seats (i.e. can't recall the last time that I've not scored a reclining exit or bulkhead aisle).

Prompt service isn't an issue for me because I generally only consume water in flight (the smell of Chinese airplane food usually makes me nauseous).
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks for all your help. I am (99%) going to Xi'an in 2 weeks, Thursday-Saturday!

I have had a terrible time trying to book on Ctrip online and then on the phone, but will try again tomorrow. The other online options (elong, Shenzhen) are more expensive but I won't pay 4% currency on top of 3% CC when I have a 0% credit card! I decided that if nothing else works I can used 50k (+CAD18) miles for the ticket. I have lots of miles and they have been useless for years since I won't pay fuel surcharges.

I am thinking of using China Highlights for a day+ tour - any opinions about the company?

I am also unsure about hotel choice and would appreciate advice... I would have to pay cash for Hilton, but am Diamond so would get nice upgrades and lounge and the price isn't bad. I have lots of SPG points (and can transfer more from Amex) and the Westin looks pretty sweet, but not sure if I can use points as a gold to get lounge access (I have done this in Thailand). I have 2 free nights at the Kempinski (as a Platinum Omni member), but the reviews are pretty terrible.

3 more weeks in China and I am going to enjoy it to the fullest!

Dr. PITUK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.