Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Visa on old PP one nationality, Enter with other nationality PP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Not a straightforward issue (that is what FT is for!)

I have a chinese visa on a current PP nationality 'X' I am shortly getting a new passport and sending it off to get an unrelated Visa and that will take 2 months.

Can I enter China with annulled nationality X passort (that has visa) Along with nationality Y passport?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the Chinese won't be too fond of your plan as stated.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:28 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If you are still a citizen of X, then the easiest thing to do would be to get a new passport from X.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the Chinese won't be too fond of your plan as stated.
Nor the airlines that need to get me there... I guess I'll have to take some TWOV trips.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
If you are still a citizen of X, then the easiest thing to do would be to get a new passport from X.
Thats what I am doing. But that (new) PP is off to get a different visa (2 month process)
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: various
If you are wanting to enter China on a visa, and you are a dual citizen of X and Y, then you have the following possibilities:
1) If Chinese visa in PP X will still be valid when you want to enter, and you will be issued a new PP X in the interim, then you can use that Chinese visa only if you have both former (cancelled) PP with the visa AND the new PP with no visa. Chinese Immigration officials are used to seeing this situation but you can't split the "package".
2) If Chinese visa in PP X will not be valid when you want to enter, then you'd need a new visa and can get in either new PP X or PP Y. Whichever PP you get the visa in, that's your nationality as far as the Chinese are concerned, for the duration of your time in China.

There is no way you can present a valid visa in old cancelled PP X and travel on a current PP Y (with no visa). Ain't gonna fly, literally.

If the new PP X will be unavailable when you want to enter China (situation 1) OR timing won't work for getting a new Chinese visa (situation 2), then your only option seems to be getting a new Chinese visa in PP Y. Or live within the limitations of TWOV.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Needing a visa that takes two months to process and wanting/needing to travel internationally during that two month period would be an excellent reason to get a second passport from a country (including USA) that offers them. You might need to pay extra for expedited processing. However, note that at least USA second passports are of shorter duration, which might make you want to reconsider which passport will get the two month process visa and which you will use for other travel, including China.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: various
Yeah, the second passport gambit would be something to consider if your PP X country issues them --- not all countries will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.