Wiki Posts
Search

Best undiscovered restaurants in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Best undiscovered restaurants in Shanghai

We are heading to Shanghai in the next week and are looking for a few restaurants that are great but not well known. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Anyone???
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:41 pm

Sorry, but I don't know restaurants that I don't know.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
As JPDM alluded to - there are thousands of restaurants in Shanghai - and until you get taken to one of the 'undiscovered' ones you'll never know.

But try this one for a start, one of my regulars and excellent: http://www.smartshanghai.com/venue/2...rmant_shanghai

Their gong bao chicken is outstanding.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Goga is great, though certainly not "undiscovered".
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Goga is great, though certainly not "undiscovered".
I guess there it is a matter of personal taste. I know everyone raves about it, but I was underwhelmed. Yes it was an ok restaurant, and maybe a bit better than average for Shanghai, but that was about it (and very expensive!)
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I guess there it is a matter of personal taste. I know everyone raves about it, but I was underwhelmed. Yes it was an ok restaurant, and maybe a bit better than average for Shanghai, but that was about it (and very expensive!)
For 500/person, you can eat very well there. I'm pretty sure the westin brunch costs more these days, and isn't so great. And, where I live now (新天地), 500 doesn't get me anything decent. Next time you're in town, let's do goga. I'll make sure Brad is in the kitchen beforehand. The uni and avacado appetizer is simply to die for.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
For 500/person, you can eat very well there. I'm pretty sure the westin brunch costs more these days, and isn't so great. And, where I live now (新天地), 500 doesn't get me anything decent. Next time you're in town, let's do goga. I'll make sure Brad is in the kitchen beforehand. The uni and avacado appetizer is simply to die for.
I think 500 is a lot of money... for shanghai.

It's a hard comparison. I'd never eat in a hotel buffet, and while places such as Mr Mrs Bund are good (well... 'ok'), that's more for the novelty value (IMO). Shanghai has such fantastic Chinese food... different to say being in Hong Kong or Tokyo where you might seek out a truly good western restaurant.

But I'll take you up on the offer next time I'm in town
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:44 am

Are you guys on WeChat? That's where we talk about food these days. I am moondogsh
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
You can tell me it's touristy, and I will agree, but I had such a fantastic time doing the night market food tour with UnTour Shanghai. I speak no Chinese and was with my husband (after a few days working) and it was so wonderful to have this great food given to us without having to figure out what we were eating (not a problem, actually, I will eat anything that is presented to me ;-) I still am not really sure what we ate, but it was good, and I was happy. But I have an unreasonable love for street food....
Old Feb 17, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Which night market was this? Somewhere near Yunnan South Rd/Shouning Rd area?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by roverkt
Which night market was this? Somewhere near Yunnan South Rd/Shouning Rd area?
I believe we went to two different markets, but yes, that general area (we had been exploring the Yu Garden/Old Bazaar area earlier in the day and ended up meeting our guide in the same area) There were only 5 of us - an American guide, we're 2 Americans, and a couple from Thailand. The guide bought big bottles of beer every time he got food, but the couple from Thailand weren't drinking alcohol. But my husband (as a homebrewer) hates to see beer go to waste (and I just hate waste) so we were trying to drink everything, (then the guide learned to slow down a little, thank goodness, but I still probably drank 3-4 liters of beer) Anyway, I am not sure exactly where we were but I know we ended up at the very south end of the Bund. And we decided to walk back to our hotel (Hyatt on the Bund).

I love street food, and I don't speak the language(s), so it was really great to have a guide who had tried all the different stalls and picked out the "best" (most popular, freshest, etc)
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Had a great lunch at Glory City in French concession last week. Stunning 6 month old converted private residence. Looked like it could have been an embassy. Delicious Cantonese food. Ordered wanton soup and 4 dim sum including 4 dumplings with huge shrimp, 3 fried leek dumplings, wide rice noodles with green veggies, and one more plus Chinese tea. Delicious elegant lunch for US $30. (Served 2 hungry persons) full dinner a la carte menu available all day. address 1315 Fuxing Middle Road Shanghai 021-6678-7777, 6437 7788. Valet parking.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:16 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
China is one country you can go to without having to do much if any research on restaurant recommendations. I find food at some "discovered" (aka fine dining) good, while most "undiscovered" (aka Chinese food) even better and more affordable.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:41 am

I'm adding Fortune Cookie to the list, and without shame.

If you're coming from America, you might be underwhelmed, but it's a haven for those of us who miss classic dishes such as beef with broccoli and mushu pork.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.