Wiki Posts
Search

My experience with 50 kgs of carry-on luggage today at SZX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

My experience with 50 kgs of carry-on luggage today at SZX

On occasion, posters concerned with luggage limits on intra-China flights inquire about carry-on restrictions and their enforcement. We generally tell them not to worry about it because abuses are extremely common.

Today I found myself in a situation that entailed giving this hypothesis a serious test. I packed 2 bags to 20kg each, which I was planning on checking, and a third to 10kg, which was to be my carry-on. My 130p flight had been delayed until 230p (pretty much SOP these days), so I felt comfortable showing up at the airport at 1245p. Low and behold, Shenzhen Airlines managed to find a replacement aircraft while I was making my way to the airport, which permitted them to stick with the original schedule.

The bad news for me was that I had just missed the 45-minute baggage drop cutoff.

So, faced with the prospect of hanging around the airport for an extra two hours for the next flight to SHA or trying to carry everything on, I decided attempt the latter. I wheeled my luggage cart past the boarding pass stamping lady right up to xray machine, ran the bags through, placed them on another cart on the back side, proceeded to the gate, the jetway, and the door to the plane. Once there, I had a brief discussion with the FAs, who ultimately ended up storing my big bags in the closet (gate checking was also an option, but they felt that the closet strategy was simpler).

I am by no means recommending this drill as a nice way to travel (e.g. the walk down the extremely long jetway --without the baggage cart-- was particularly unpleasant, and I obviously can't guarantee that other Chinese airports are as lax as SZX), but simply want to point out that I didn't receive the slightest amount of pushback --nary a strange look, in fact-- from a single airline/airport employee.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:08 pm

Good for you but not a strategy one can recommend.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPDM
Good for you but not a strategy one can recommend.
I qualified my post with: "I am by no means recommending this drill as a nice way to travel".

Obviously, checking bags is the way to go.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:41 am

wow, that's unbelievable.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
the uneven adherence to the rules in China occasionally has an upside...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:01 am

Lucky you, but I've seen (and heard) similar stories from quite all over the world. Ie, pax being too late for baggage drop, but still getting a BP / having checked in online, successfully persuading all staff on the way to the plane incl. FAs, "begging" for their mercy, and being allowed. And, as you say, it might work, but it might also fail. Good for you that it worked (and it's always a fun story to read) but it's really nothing "extremely" special. Now, my single 43kg luggage (in Y, no status) might qualify for that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.