Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Traveler's Check / Money Order / Checks Accepted at Banks? Fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

I have a checking account at Bank of China (from past visits) which I usually wire money into but this time I was thinking of bringing Traveler's Check / Money Orders or Personal Checks to fund my expenses. Just wondering if it is possible and if so what kind of delay and fees (from China Banks) should I expect? thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by phiota
I have a checking account at Bank of China (from past visits) which I usually wire money into but this time I was thinking of bringing Traveler's Check / Money Orders or Personal Checks to fund my expenses. Just wondering if it is possible and if so what kind of delay and fees (from China Banks) should I expect? thanks.
While not China specific, you might want to check out this thread for a general discussion on using travelers checks during current times:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...cash-help.html

With respect to China, I haven't seen a traveler's check in many years. But, hotels still post rates for them on their fx boards so this is presumably --at least one would think-- a sign of continued acceptance. They are treated like cash.

Personal checks take a long time to clear. I have no experience with money orders.

Apart from wiring money in, the path of least resistance is to pull cash out of your foreign account when you get to a Bank of China CRS and immediately deposit it into your BoC account. This doesn't require any human interaction.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:52 pm

You have a checking account? I have never seen checks in China!
Old Sep 27, 2014, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
You have a checking account? I have never seen checks in China!
I haven't either, but I have deposited (foreign) personal checks into Chinese bank accounts on several occasions. Like I said, it works, but you must be prepared to wait several weeks before funds post.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I haven't either, but I have deposited (foreign) personal checks into Chinese bank accounts on several occasions. Like I said, it works, but you must be prepared to wait several weeks before funds post.
Right, it must take a while to clear back home. But I don't think that they have checks in China.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:56 am

Right, it must take a while to clear back home. But I don't think that they have checks in China.
While I can't recall seeing a check in person in China, they certainly exist.

For example: http://www.asia.ccb.com/hongkong/per.../checking.html
Old Sep 28, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

They do exist. The system is in place. I have personal and business facility to write a check and accept checks.
However due to issue of trust it is still mostly Great Helmsman pictures or electronic transfers.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:55 am

This HK, not China.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:31 am

This HK, not China.
Did you miss the part about the Guangzhou (PRC) checks? If I had really combed Baidu, I'm sure I could have found an example of a domestic only product of a similar ilk, but the referenced link was the first one that I came across. I figured it was sufficient to prove the claim that there are checks in China (even if 9,999/10,000 people have zero interest in using them).
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

You guys are right it's not called Checking Account...but rather deposit account or something. This is one area China's jumping past the US where I've seen more people now using cell phone banking/money transfer (to stores or each other) and bypassing checks/credit cards...still trying to figure out if bringing travelers checks is a good option.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by phiota
You guys are right it's not called Checking Account...
What is your preferred translation for 支票账户?

...still trying to figure out if bringing travelers checks is a good option.
How much money do you want to move, what other options are you contemplating, and where would you be exchanging the travelers checks?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:30 am
Original Poster

What is your preferred translation for 支票账户?

How much money do you want to move, what other options are you contemplating, and where would you be exchanging the travelers checks?
I can speak ok chinese but my reading/writing is kindergarden level if that

My other option is cash and then withdraw from ATM.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
When we first visited China 7-8 years ago, we stupidly brought traveler's checks.

While there were no transaction fees, the time wasted at the bank cashing the check. We spent a whole morning waiting in one line then another.

We could convert the checks at our hotel but their conversion rate was horrible.

We now bring enough cash or if the amount is significant, we wire it into our Chinese bank account.

Quick trips to China, we use the ATM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.