Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing hotel suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF
Beijing hotel suggestions

Does anyone have any suggestions for somewhere to stay in Beijing?
Staying in China for just under 48 hours under TWOV.

Looking for somewhere close to airport transport (arriving 1025 on BA, departing 1000 on CX), in one of the inner city districts (Dongcheng maybe?). Under ~AU$100/night.

Is the Great Wall considered "within Beijing" for TWOV?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: HH, MR, BA
I suggest the Hilton Beijing Capital Airport, I just had a stay here prior to flying out the next morning a few weeks ago. This hotel provided me the BEST service I have ever experienced including compared to higher end establishments (i.e. the Ritz or Peninsula).

The hotel itself is very nice, nothing that will blow you away but the hardware is all pretty new, and the rooms were quite spacious (was upgraded to suite but the normal rooms look alright as well). In terms of the hard product, it is a nice and new Hilton. What stayed with me is how warm and genuine the check in staff were. They actually went out of their way to get me a hypo-allergenic blanket which they didn't have when I checked in (neither do most places, so I didn't even expect it, I just asked for pillows changed). After a 2 week trip in China, the service I experienced at this hotel was the highlight of my trip (and it was a good trip), I've never been so ecstatic to share with other people how great the service was, such genuine and warm staff is very rare in China, and the staff at this hotel blew me away (not the bellhops though).

Also it is very convenient, the hotel has a 24 hour free shuttle to the airport and it runs every 15 minutes during the day. The shuttle took about 5 minutes to get to T3.

Also you can take the shuttle to the airport and then take the subway into the city which was very convenient. Taking taxis is also MUCH more convenient than if you stayed in the city since drivers LOVE getting an airport fare and there are always taxis waiting close by.

The only caveat is that the price is about 1000RMB if you book ahead, which is around 180 AUD so it would be a bit over your suggested budget.

P.S. technically the Great Wall at Badaling is in Beijing, but as I've never used the TWOV exception I'm not sure if it is within what immigration considers Beijing.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Pimevai
I suggest the Hilton Beijing Capital Airport, I just had a stay here prior to flying out the next morning a few weeks ago. This hotel provided me the BEST service I have ever experienced including compared to higher end establishments (i.e. the Ritz or Peninsula).
The OP stated:
1) inner districts, and specifically mentioned Dongcheng
2) less than $100/night

The Airport Hilton fails miserably on both of these counts. I'm thinking the Swiss could be a decent option for him. Sure, it's a bit on the old side, but that's why its ADR is south of $100. On NE 3rd Ring (not "inner", but I would argue a better location than Dongcheng), the Hilton Beijing and the Landmark both fit the bill. So does the GW Sheraton if it hasn't been shuttered yet.

OP: Feel free to put other ideas out there; you have many options. Don't sweat the GW/TWVO issue. Most of the popular Beijing GW spots are within the Beijing municipality, and those that aren't are close enough that nobody cares.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by moondog
The OP stated:
1) inner districts, and specifically mentioned Dongcheng
2) less than $100/night

The Airport Hilton fails miserably on both of these counts. I'm thinking the Swiss could be a decent option for him. Sure, it's a bit on the old side, but that's why its ADR is south of $100. On NE 3rd Ring (not "inner", but I would argue a better location than Dongcheng), the Hilton Beijing and the Landmark both fit the bill. So does the GW Sheraton if it hasn't been shuttered yet.

OP: Feel free to put other ideas out there; you have many options. Don't sweat the GW/TWVO issue. Most of the popular Beijing GW spots are within the Beijing municipality, and those that aren't are close enough that nobody cares.
Sorry misread the "close to airport transport" as "close to airport".

In that case Swissotel would be a good idea as it is close to the subway (right outside) and Sanlitun. Another suggestion would be the Crowne Plaza Wangfujing which normally goes for just under 100AUD and is very centrally located (right beside the pedestrian street). I haven't been here in a few years (last stay was in 2006) but it was nice back then and the location is great for tourists if your planning on going to the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square or Qianmen.

Last edited by Pimevai; Sep 21, 2014 at 3:03 am
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:18 am

Swisshotel, which I think offers good value, is actually on Ring Road 2 (east), not 3.
Crown Plaza Wangfujing is usually in the AU$200 range. Aslo easier to make your way back to the airport from the Swiishotel.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:00 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Apparently, I stayed at the Jinglun Hotel and ate at Si He Xuan once, many years ago. How are they both today?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
Swisshotel, which I think offers good value, is actually on Ring Road 2 (east), not 3.
Crown Plaza Wangfujing is usually in the AU$200 range. Aslo easier to make your way back to the airport from the Swiishotel.
Actually I just checked on Tripadvisor and most nights in October are going for 100-150 CAD (fees and taxes in) which is roughly the same as AUD (CAD to AUD 1:1.02).
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:45 pm

Better check on the hotel website rather than TripAdvisor. The cheapest room is Aud$133 if you book more than 5 days ahead, prepay and it is not refundable and has no breakfast (which is another $27). Probably one of the rooms with no outside window (been in one of those once). "Normal" refundable room is $173 plus breakfast.
Not sure about Swisshotel as I usually have a corporate rate at about $100 including breakfast. Breakfast in a western hotel is quite expensive. Best is to get a rate that includes breakfast.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
Better check on the hotel website rather than TripAdvisor. The cheapest room is Aud$133 if you book more than 5 days ahead, prepay and it is not refundable and has no breakfast (which is another $27). Probably one of the rooms with no outside window (been in one of those once). "Normal" refundable room is $173 plus breakfast.
Not sure about Swisshotel as I usually have a corporate rate at about $100 including breakfast. Breakfast in a western hotel is quite expensive. Best is to get a rate that includes breakfast.
Ctrip is selling the CP-Wangfujing for Y811 without breakfast and Y861 with breakfast for 2, and you do get a window. I'd still probably go with the Swiss because I don't care for WFJ, but these rates are pretty good.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:22 am
Original Poster

I stayed at the Swissotel in Shanghai last year. It looks better then some of the other options Expedia is giving me (though those options are somewhat cheaper).

What's the Holiday Inn Express Dongzhimen like? It's coming up at about the same price as the Swissotel.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
I stayed at the Swissotel in Shanghai last year. It looks better then some of the other options Expedia is giving me (though those options are somewhat cheaper).

What's the Holiday Inn Express Dongzhimen like? It's coming up at about the same price as the Swissotel.
That's a MUCH nicer hotel than the Swiss Beijing, but its rates reflect such (though the value of the real estate itself is certainly a major component of this). The Beijing Swiss remains a great deal. I have never been inside the HIX Dongzhimen so I can't offer a hardware comparison. Locations are comparable.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:58 am
Original Poster

I'm a bit confused by the Swiss Beijing website....
Selecting a rate that says it includes free internet and breakfast then says on the next page that breakfast is another 100Y and free internet needs Swissotel Circle membership??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.