Wiki Posts
Search

Any recent TWOV via PVG Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

Have a quick meeting in Shanghai in a few weeks and considering trying to use the TWOV method - I've read the horror story threads in the forum so I'm a bit hesitant - my usual strategy is to fly to HKG and pay (dearly) for an overnight visa and then head in to China - but a TWOV would be so much easier - if it works... Does anyone have any recent experience with this at Shanghai with UA - if so I'd appreciate any tips... I would be continuing on to either HK or SIN after the meeting so I'd meet the requirements of continuing flights - but still concerned based on what I've read here...

TIA
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
How recently? I did it 1.5 years ago when it was starting to consistently work and it wasn't any drama:
- Bring a copy of the TWOV info from the embassy in English and Simplified Chinese, and a copy of the TIMATIC info.
- If you get resistance from a rogue UA agent, offer the embassy/TIMATIC info and ask the agent to check TIMATIC. Press and escalate until you get on the flight.
- Bring a copy of your e-ticket; not your reservation, not your itinerary, your e-ticket showing payment.
- Expect to go through immigration, no airside connection. (edit: disregard, you're stopping intentionally)
- The immigration agents mostly know about TWOV, but may call a supervisor over.

See the FT China forum for more info on TWOV. There's nothing UA specific about it aside from #2 about rogue agents.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On a single ticket the system shouldn't have trouble. If your onward connection out of China is on a separate ticket that can confuse the agents. Present the additional information and make sure they are putting PVG as the connection point in to TIMATIC instead of the destination and the system should properly spit out the TWOV details.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
On a single ticket the system shouldn't have trouble. If your onward connection out of China is on a separate ticket that can confuse the agents. Present the additional information and make sure they are putting PVG as the connection point in to TIMATIC instead of the destination and the system should properly spit out the TWOV details.
The issue I have is that the flight out of PVG will be on SQ or CX - and on a different ticket as UA doesn't fly from PVG to anywhere else except the US... One of the reasons I asked for recent experiences... My return to the US will be on UA via NRT but my intra-asia flights will be on a different ticket...

Originally Posted by mduell
How recently? I did it 1.5 years ago when it was starting to consistently work and it wasn't any drama:
- Bring a copy of the TWOV info from the embassy in English and Simplified Chinese, and a copy of the TIMATIC info.
- If you get resistance from a rogue UA agent, offer the embassy/TIMATIC info and ask the agent to check TIMATIC. Press and escalate until you get on the flight.
- Bring a copy of your e-ticket; not your reservation, not your itinerary, your e-ticket showing payment.
- Expect to go through immigration, no airside connection. (edit: disregard, you're stopping intentionally)
- The immigration agents mostly know about TWOV, but may call a supervisor over.

See the FT China forum for more info on TWOV. There's nothing UA specific about it aside from #2 about rogue agents.
My research indicated that UA is supposed to "pre-notify" china immigation that I will be using the TWOV - which is concerning as I don't want issues on arrival - I also found out that Beijing and Shanghai handle this differently - Beijing upon arrival you apply for TWOV status, while at Shanghai you are supposed to be pre-cleared via the airline - thus my question.... Thanks for the tips...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 9, 2014 at 6:38 pm Reason: multi-quoute
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
If you do not have the side trip, you should qualify because you will head to a third country after the stop in Shanghai although your final destination is USA.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu
If you do not have the side trip, you should qualify because you will head to a third country after the stop in Shanghai although your final destination is USA.
Thanks - not worried about qualifying - more worried about being denied boarding / issues upon PVG departure based on experiences outlined in this forum. I typically get a normal visa but would much prefer to utilize the TWOV process but worried about how UA implements it...
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't worry. It works fine, you'll have no problems. I know many people who do this all the time. The immigration at PVG knows exactly how to handle these TWOV passengers. Have a printout of the rules for the UA agent when you check in just in case they don't know them and you'll be all right.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Don't worry. It works fine, you'll have no problems. I know many people who do this all the time. The immigration at PVG knows exactly how to handle these TWOV passengers. Have a printout of the rules for the UA agent when you check in just in case they don't know them and you'll be all right.
Lol at my home airport - which UA outsourced - the agents can barely print a BP much less understand SHARES....
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:31 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Lol at my home airport - which UA outsourced - the agents can barely print a BP much less understand SHARES....
Back when UA blocked my from checking in online for int'l trip for over two years (had the ability with both PMUA and PMCO) I walked to DAL, which is outsourced to AA, and they were able to print my BP to China. The other time I did TWOV did it at DFW.

And here's the definitive TWOV theread, a sticky in the China forum.

Methinks this thread may be merged ....
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Just did it 2 weeks ago in PVG- separate tickets - inbound on UA - continuing on TG 2 days later. The (outsourced) checkin agent had to check with help desk of some sorts, but in the end, no issues.
They didnt even ask to see my 2nd ticket.
Also no issues in PEK in August - arriving on SQ, departing on S7 on separate tickets

Once in China, they know exactly what they are doing.
Keep in mind, if you do 72 hours, you have to leave from same city. If you do 24 hours - you are allowed to leave from a different city.

They might even ask to see your passport at the gate
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
The issue I have is that the flight out of PVG will be on SQ or CX - and on a different ticket as UA doesn't fly from PVG to anywhere else except the US... One of the reasons I asked for recent experiences... My return to the US will be on UA via NRT but my intra-asia flights will be on a different ticket...

My research indicated that UA is supposed to "pre-notify" china immigation that I will be using the TWOV - which is concerning as I don't want issues on arrival - I also found out that Beijing and Shanghai handle this differently - Beijing upon arrival you apply for TWOV status, while at Shanghai you are supposed to be pre-cleared via the airline - thus my question.... Thanks for the tips...
A few years ago when UA had a PVG-LAX special I did a few back to back and flew BKK-PVG-BKK on a separate TG ticket. At no point, neither from UA's nor TG's side, was there a problem.

On the final UA --> TG sequence i had booked a 47:10 stop (48 hours was the limit at that time) and UA was early by an hour so I dallied to immi. Other than that everything was quite smooth.

Granted this is a few years ago but things should be easier now.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

There was a reason I posted this in the UA forum - for shanghai TWOV arrivals the airline is responsible for pre-clearance - anyone here fly UA and know how they handle?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Back when UA blocked my from checking in online for int'l trip for over two years (had the ability with both PMUA and PMCO) I walked to DAL, which is outsourced to AA, and they were able to print my BP to China. The other time I did TWOV did it at DFW.

And here's the definitive TWOV theread, a sticky in the China forum.

Methinks this thread may be merged ....
I understand the desire to merge threads on this board but really - my question really was specific to UA as PVG arrivals are handled differently than PEK according to my research and the airline (in my case UA) is supposed ot handle pre-clearance and you have to contact them in advance to set it up. I guess it will stay here now and I'll hope for the best...
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I understand the desire to merge threads on this board but really - my question really was specific to UA as PVG arrivals are handled differently than PEK according to my research and the airline (in my case UA) is supposed ot handle pre-clearance and you have to contact them in advance to set it up. I guess it will stay here now and I'll hope for the best...
Um, threads have not been merged, it is a stand alone thread right now, though China mod may merge if they see fit.

Not sure what you mean by PVG and PEK being handled differently

Same rules apply, for all airlines, the only concern might be poorly trained agents, and dealing with them is addressed in the thread I posted above. Most informative and most current, visited and posted to by frequent China travelers as well as residents, so most up to date information @:-)
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

UA has nothing to do with SHA or PEK arrivals. Your only issue with UA is convincing them to let you fly in the first place. You do not need to contact them in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.