Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Tried Nanjing Metro New Lines?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Anyone Tried Nanjing Metro New Lines?

Haven't posted here in awhile since my business travel has reduced to almost 0. But i am going on a personal trip to Nanjing this month. I heard that the new line S1 opened recently (last month was it?) to connect Lukou airport to the Nanjing metro.

Anyone took that line yet, what is your experience like?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Interesting, haven't been to Nanjing since July. ^

So, able to get from NKG to Nanjingnan by rail already?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by mosburger
Interesting, haven't been to Nanjing since July. ^

So, able to get from NKG to Nanjingnan by rail already?
Yes apparently that's what i have heard. You can get from NKG to Nanjing South then transit to HSR all that way to Shanghai or Beijing if you so fancy.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Rode it last week. Extremely convenient. Under half an hour to Nanjing South Station and only 7RMB total from Xinjiekou. Station is basically right under the new terminal. Go up a few floors of escalators, turn right and you enter right into Terminal 2.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by mackenzie77
Rode it last week. Extremely convenient. Under half an hour to Nanjing South Station and only 7RMB total from Xinjiekou. Station is basically right under the new terminal. Go up a few floors of escalators, turn right and you enter right into Terminal 2.
Great news. Heading to Nanjing in a few weeks and will have to give this a shot.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:25 am

Yes, I've used the Metro in Nanjing. It is very similar to the metro in Shanghai. It's good.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by kitsura
Yes apparently that's what i have heard. You can get from NKG to Nanjing South then transit to HSR all that way to Shanghai or Beijing if you so fancy.
Ok, this means I'll switch most if not all my international flights from and to China to NKG immediately. ^

From most of Jiangsu and many parts of Anhui and Zhejiang NKG easily beats PVG and in many cases also SHA in accessibility after this link.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Super!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:01 am

Ok, this means I'll switch most if not all my international flights from and to China to NKG immediately. ^
I myself would love to do that but there still aren't many international flights and it makes it nearly impossible for me to fly directly from overseas from where I'm used to coming from. I usually connect in Beijing and catch the 5:45pm or 8:45pm Air China to Nanjing. I used to fly into Shanghai and do the late feeder flight to Nanjing for international connections at 9:50pm but it is ALWAYS late.

There's been ongoing talk about the airport adding more international flights, even to North America. Maybe with the new terminal (Pretty nice, arrivals baggage pickup area notwithstanding) it would be great to see it happen.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:33 am

I myself would love to do that but there still aren't many international flights and it makes it nearly impossible for me to fly directly from overseas from where I'm used to coming from. I usually connect in Beijing and catch the 5:45pm or 8:45pm Air China to Nanjing. I used to fly into Shanghai and do the late feeder flight to Nanjing for international connections at 9:50pm but it is ALWAYS late.

There's been ongoing talk about the airport adding more international flights, even to North America. Maybe with the new terminal (Pretty nice, arrivals baggage pickup area notwithstanding) it would be great to see it happen.
I'm depending on the KA connections from and to HKG and direct flights to Japan and Korea.

What makes NKG especially interesting to myself is that almost all of my major Chinese bases are reachable within one hour by HSR from Nanjingnan.

Plus the usual Moon and Spring Festival location about 15 minutes from Lukou airport.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:19 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Are there any murmurings about adding an HSR station at PVG?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Are there any murmurings about adding an HSR station at PVG?
Sort of. You'll only find these in articles pertaining to Shanghai Disney, which remind me of the "Maglev to Hangzhou" pieces that used to come out every spring until around 2008. The problem with the latter is that while the plans may well have received State Council approval (several times), the money was never there in the end.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Sort of. You'll only find these in articles pertaining to Shanghai Disney, which remind me of the "Maglev to Hangzhou" pieces that used to come out every spring until around 2008. The problem with the latter is that while the plans may well have received State Council approval (several times), the money was never there in the end.
Yup. Also, where to lay tracks in the metropolitan area?

Northwards to Nantong? Chongming Island is supposed to be developed as an ecological model area. Not very compatible with laying HSR tracks there. And Baoshan has steel works and other industry in a tight cluster before you even get to Taicang, a major port and urban area.

Southwards towards Hangzhou and/or Ningbo might work better but is the cost justified considering the existing lines?

A hugely expensive tunnel solution to Honqgiao? The metro line and Maglev already exist.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yup. Also, where to lay tracks in the metropolitan area?

Northwards to Nantong? Chongming Island is supposed to be developed as an ecological model area. Not very compatible with laying HSR tracks there. And Baoshan has steel works and other industry in a tight cluster before you even get to Taicang, a major port and urban area.

Southwards towards Hangzhou and/or Ningbo might work better but is the cost justified considering the existing lines?

A hugely expensive tunnel solution to Honqgiao? The metro line and Maglev already exist.
The plan is to go south of the city and connect with shanghai south station. Disney seems to be the main beneficiary. Bear in mind that they are already getting their own dedicated subway line that connects with line 2.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:01 am

I'm depending on the KA connections from and to HKG and direct flights to Japan and Korea.
I've wanted to try this but could never afford to get stuck there overnight. I think the earliest HKG-NKG flight wouldn't get me into Nanjing until early afternoon. That's why I still tend to fly to Shanghai, as long as i'm not checking too much baggage. I can 98% be sure I can be in the Nanjing office by 9:00am even if I miss the late trains the night before. I love the ICN-NKG direct flight but there's only one daily and the times don't work for connecting to N.A. the same day. I'm a Star Alliance guy so that's basically all of my options for connecting internationally (unless I go the other way on LH to FRA...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.