Wiki Posts
Search

Using miles or points to pay for MagLev PEK-PVG

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
Using miles or points to pay for MagLev PEK-PVG

My friend and I will fly to Beijing in 2015. We would like to experience the MAG-LEV train from Beijing to Shanghai. My research shows that there are 3 classes, 2nd, First and Business (Business being more expensive than First). This will be a once-in-a-lifetime ride so I am willing to pay the extra money for the nicer experience but have a few questions:

1) Can I use miles or points (I have AA, UAL, DL, USAir, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton and IHG) to pay for these tickets?

2) For those of you, who have traveled on this route, did you take F or B? What were pluses and minuses? Any other advice?

Thank you.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Sorry to disappoint, but there is no Maglev train between Beijing and Shanghai - just a "regular" high-speed train (akin to the Shinkansen in Japan, which has I think a higher fastest speed in operation, though the Beijing-Shanghai train runs at an average faster speed). The Maglev train in Shanghai just runs between Pudong airport and Longyuan station, where you can change to the regular Shanghai Metro.

Neither, as far as I am aware, can be paid for using any kind of miles/award points.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
CRH is the high speed trains (bullet trains) that is all over the country including the Beijing / Shanghai corridor.

Maglev is a magnetic levitation propulsion train between Pudong International Airport with Longyang Road Metro subway system.

There is no possible way to use points. They don't have customer retention program themselves.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:14 pm

No need to go first class, it is only 8 minutes long or so. Cash only. Cheap in any case.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by uncle wiggily
My friend and I will fly to Beijing in 2015. We would like to experience the MAG-LEV train from Beijing to Shanghai. My research shows that there are 3 classes, 2nd, First and Business (Business being more expensive than First). This will be a once-in-a-lifetime ride so I am willing to pay the extra money for the nicer experience but have a few questions:

1) Can I use miles or points (I have AA, UAL, DL, USAir, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton and IHG) to pay for these tickets?

2) For those of you, who have traveled on this route, did you take F or B? What were pluses and minuses? Any other advice?

Thank you.
As others have pointed out, the only Maglev train in China runs from PVG to Longyang Road in Shanghai (which, isn't really "in Shanghai" in the practical sense). It was built as a "test track" at a time when China was considering making Maglev the standard for its national HSR network. This didn't happen. Instead, they went with conventional technology.

Furthermore, PVG is not connected to the CRH system, except for by subway, which is a long haul. However, if you're already in Shanghai, getting to Hongqiao Station is pretty easy.

For more information on these trains, refer to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...sr-thread.html
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
2nd class has a 3-2 configuration and unless you have a taste for convenient noodle it should be avoided

1st class has a 2-2 configuaration with slightly wider seats but unless you have a taste for convenient noodle it should be avoided

Business Class has a 1-2 configuration with lie flat seats but unless you...... You know the drill.

Avoid 2nd class as it will be crowded and noisy and smelly. 1st class a little less so. One thing I didn't know until last weekend is that the HSR network issues standing tickets, so you will get people crowding in the vestibules and in the aisles, even in 1st.

Haven't taken Business class but I presume it will be pretty well blocked off from the rest of the unwashed and probably more what you are looking for.

Edit: On reflection if you are looking for a memorable trip, I would consider taking a T or D train deluxe sleeper (2 birth en-suite). The HSR is convenient in some cases, but I don't really feel that it provides any sort of memorable 'experience'. Much akin to flying on a 380, looks impressive when you first set eyes on it, but once aboard its just becomes another mode of transport. Maybe thats just me though!

Last edited by LOUDNOISES; Aug 18, 2014 at 9:35 pm
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
2nd class has a 3-2 configuration and unless you have a taste for convenient noodle it should be avoided

1st class has a 2-2 configuaration with slightly wider seats but unless you have a taste for convenient noodle it should be avoided

Business Class has a 1-2 configuration with lie flat seats but unless you...... You know the drill.

Avoid 2nd class as it will be crowded and noisy and smelly. 1st class a little less so. One thing I didn't know until last weekend is that the HSR network issues standing tickets, so you will get people crowding in the vestibules and in the aisles, even in 1st.

Haven't taken Business class but I presume it will be pretty well blocked off from the rest of the unwashed and probably more what you are looking for.
I've taken all 4 classes (including the lesser known sight-seeing class), and my current SOP is to book second class on the 2-seat side, but head straight to the dining car and get online (for the last hour, I often visit my assigned seat). While the dining car smells more like awful Chinese food than the other cars, it's really just a matter of degree.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:33 am

The good thing about the high speed trains is that they are very punctual. For this reason, they are usually a better bet than planes. As has been mentioned, on board catering on the trains is not very good.
2nd class from Beijing to Shanghai is about 500RMB one way, so it is pretty inexpensive compared with a flight too.
No way to use miles on the trains, but you can book a ticket online at 12309.cn. If you are a foreigner you have to pick up your ticket at the ticket office in the station (you'll need to tell them your booking number and show them your passport).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.