Wiki Posts
Search

Google (mail/calendar) in China

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Smile

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
(Microsoft is playing ball with the Chinese government, a Chinese version of Bing shows up but since I enter queries in English it offers me All/English/Chinese results.)
I think many people underestimate the extent to which Google "plays ball". While they haven't kow towed in the same manner as msft and yahoo to the censors, they are still a sizable employer. Have you ever been to any of their offices in China? All very nice.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:08 am

Actually gmail did not work at all 2 days ago but today you could receive messages but not send any.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:22 pm

Nevermind, found another thread.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Any recent reports on accessing gmail (and gcal) in China? Not through VPN, but either through Wifi or mobile.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Any recent reports on accessing gmail (and gcal) in China? Not through VPN, but either through Wifi or mobile.
If you're roaming on a foreign carrier, no problem. Otherwise you need a VPN, though you can redirect some apps to google.cn.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:34 am

I'll add report of my own, which is that I found gmail through my mail app on iphone (using IMAP) to work okay over wifi. Sometimes seemed to get timeouts checking for mail, and was a bit slow. But both hotel and other wifi I used seemed not to be blocked. I didn't try it much, but browser gmail didn't seem to work.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:06 pm

At the risk of beating a dead horse, if everyone in this thread had reliable VPNs, this thread would not exist.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by moondog
At the risk of beating a dead horse, if everyone in this thread had reliable VPNs, this thread would not exist.
can you recommend VPNs (I know u have in the past - just update)

for me that would be Android and PC. I'm sure others would like to know for PC and IOS
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by seaskybound
can you recommend VPNs (I know u have in the past - just update)

for me that would be Android and PC. I'm sure others would like to know for PC and IOS
Get express. I promise it works.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
For those visiting China only occasionally, setting up a VPN isn't necessarily worth the time/hassle.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
For those visiting China only occasionally, setting up a VPN isn't necessarily worth the time/hassle.
It took me about 15 minutes to set up ExpressVPN and it is no hassle whatsoever to use. And when you are not in China you just don't activate it. The only downside is that you have to pay to keep your subscription alive, unless you want to cancel and sign up each time you come to China, but we are only looking at USD 13 per month for a monthly basis.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:04 am

If you have a Google phone, the hassle is well worth it.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
If you don't have anything sensitive in your Gmail, another option is to use one of the Chinese mail apps (e.g. 163 or QQ Mail) to access it: they have struck a bargain with our dear net nannies to allow access and prominently advertise support for Gmail.

Certainly doesn't replace a VPN, but is a potential option if Gmail is all you care about and you don't mind Tencent and the friendly local 网安警务室 reading all your mail.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:16 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by Scifience
If you don't have anything sensitive in your Gmail, another option is to use one of the Chinese mail apps (e.g. 163 or QQ Mail) to access it: they have struck a bargain with our dear net nannies to allow access and prominently advertise support for Gmail.

Certainly doesn't replace a VPN, but is a potential option if Gmail is all you care about and you don't mind Tencent and the friendly local 网安警务室 reading all your mail.
I'm pretty sure all email can/ does get read, whether using VPN or no, and whether using stock gmail or via the workarounds.

However, for the casual, non-Chinese speaking visitor, using the workarounds is not 100% straightforward. I do think that VPNs are almost de rigeur for the business, if not the tourist visitor these days. Having a smart phone but not being able to use google maps would be highly frustrating.

Having said that, we often have visiting students etc to my lab, and many manage a couple of months in Beijing without VPN...

tb
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scifience

QQ? Relatives in China wanted me to install it for file transfers. I installed it with the options they said--and spent an hour decontaminating my machine after that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.