Wiki Posts
Search

CA PVG F Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF SQ VA CX DL UA PR MH MU
CA PVG F Lounge

Tried out CA's new flagship F Lounge in PVG last week - what a disappointment. Moët on menu so I asked for a glass - sorry Sir but we ran out yesterday - So when will you get some more? Tomorrow? Next week? Next month? Maybe tomorrow Sir.

Was on SQ F tix - F & B offerings in lounge hardly better than old Lounge near Gate 77 - sent off email complaining to SQ - in old Lounge SQ used to offer F pax F & B vouchers to Cafe Deco - think might head back that way again soon unless CA pulls their finger out.

Of so typically Chinese - guess I should not have been surprised.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CA PVG F Lounge

As always the best advice for flying out of China is to arrive to the airport as close as possible to the minimum check in time and hope your flight is not delayed. Nothing on offer in any Chinese airport warrants arriving early.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
As always the best advice for flying out of China is to arrive to the airport as close as possible to the minimum check in time and hope your flight is not delayed. Nothing on offer in any Chinese airport warrants arriving early.
Not always that easy - I had to leave hotel in Nanjing at 08:15 - and it was as hot as sh*t - taxi to Nanjing Nan - struggle up to waiting area alone with 2 huge suitcases and a roller bag - struggle down to platform - board train - struggle off train at Shanghai - struggle down to taxi waiting area where line was like 2,000 deep - get taxi to PVG - check-in - find lounge and have shower - it was not easy - under these circums need nice cold shower and a glass or two of Moet - but alas - this is China.

So arriving at PVG 30mins before flt not always possible - but anyways - an F lounge should be an F lounge - period - but of course this is China isn't it?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cruiser Elite
Not always that easy - I had to leave hotel in Nanjing at 08:15 - and it was as hot as sh*t - taxi to Nanjing Nan - struggle up to waiting area alone with 2 huge suitcases and a roller bag - struggle down to platform - board train - struggle off train at Shanghai - struggle down to taxi waiting area where line was like 2,000 deep - get taxi to PVG - check-in - find lounge and have shower - it was not easy - under these circums need nice cold shower and a glass or two of Moet - but alas - this is China.

So arriving at PVG 30mins before flt not always possible - but anyways - an F lounge should be an F lounge - period - but of course this is China isn't it?
Whether or not the Moet is genuine is a subject of debate, but even if it is, Budweiser is the better option.

The shower requirement is something I respect. In your situation, you seemed to have no other choices apart from the lounge. At least you didn't have to spend 4 hours in PVG, which is par for the course these days.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Whether or not the Moet is genuine is a subject of debate, but even if it is, Budweiser is the better option.

The shower requirement is something I respect. In your situation, you seemed to have no other choices apart from the lounge. At least you didn't have to spend 4 hours in PVG, which is par for the course these days.
Budweiser is by far the worst beer on offer in the Gate 77 lounge in PVG.

Imho there is Asahi, Carlsberg (or Heineken? been a while) and Tsingtao, all 3 way superior to the drink some American call beer.

In fact, the only thing the Gate 77 lounge is pretty good and above standards of most lounges, is their choice of beer.

That said, I liked both the CZ as well as the airport lounge in CAN, and the CA lounge in PEK (both domestic and international) are both good as well.

PVG, in my eyes, is the only bigger Chinese airport where the food in the lounge truly is lacking. At the others, you'll get some decent spread. Sure it's not SilverKris@SIN level, but there are plenty of worse lounges in other countries/airports, where I'd try to really minimize my time.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:46 am
Original Poster

I have sent off a rather lengthy feedback email to SQ - this lounge on this day was so lacking. SQ actually called me to clarify one point in my email and told me they have already arranged lounge inspections - both formal and informal.

The showers rooms when you first open door look really good - BUT - they are just totally locked up with virtually zero air con and room is so hot - so even after you shower by the time you dry off and dress you are in a lather of sweat again.

Chairs / seating quite good - but F & B oh my god.

md I always thought you a very intelligent man until your Moët / Budweiser comment - Budweiser .................. that's a New Zealand beer isn't it?

Last edited by Cruiser Elite; Jul 30, 2014 at 6:12 am
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cruiser Elite

md I always thought you a very intelligent man until your Moët / Budweiser comment - Budweiser .................. that's a New Zealand beer isn't it?
I'll admit that the Bud plug was pot stirring on my part, since the can of worms has been opened, following are my thoughts on mass market beer in China.

-The stuff people drink in Guangxi (Liquan Nature Beer) is god awful.

-I greatly dislike the standard issue Tsingtao, but if you must drink it, the small bottles are the best, followed by cans with the gold label... the big bottles (which are used over and over again) are horrible.

-Asahi in the silver cans is okay, though certainly not special.

-Suntory... no thanks.

-Carlsberg is passable.

I rank all of these options apart from Liquan and big bottles of anything above NV lounge champagne in the mainland (HK is a different beast, of course).

Last edited by moondog; Jul 31, 2014 at 1:48 am
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:09 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
That's for sure.

The only thing I might be able to say I've liked about Chinese airports is the presence of a local produce store in some of them. Grossly overpriced to be sure, but if you like lychees this time of year, try to fly through Guangdong...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.