Wiki Posts
Search

Chromebook VPN in China

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VS, SU
Chromebook VPN in China

Anyone use a VPN for a Chromebook in China that they can recommend?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Try ExpressVPN.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roverkt
Try ExpressVPN.
Tried and tested on a Chromebook in mainland China?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:53 pm

No, not by me but if you look up their website they support Chromebook. Been using it on various Apple devices since arriving in Shanghai and works pretty well. No discernible impact on speeds.

Also has a 30-day money back guarantee in case it doesn't work to your satisfaction.

Drawback is that the minimum subscription is one month so might make more sense if you're living here. Even so it can come in useful wherever you are.

AirVPN was also recommended to me but I've not used it.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No, not by me but if you look up their website they support Chromebook. Been using it on various Apple devices since arriving in Shanghai and works pretty well. No discernible impact on speeds.
I've been experiencing rather poor performance with ExpressVPN for the past month or so, but they are trying to help me configure some manual IP addresses, which they claim will get me a good connection via HK (I'm only 8 miles from their HK server).

ETA: The fix they gave me actually seems to work pretty well. And, I should also note that I've never had problems using ExpressVPN on my phone (Android/Unicom).

Last edited by moondog; Jul 15, 2014 at 11:49 pm
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I've been experiencing rather poor performance with ExpressVPN for the past month or so, but they are trying to help me configure some manual IP addresses, which they claim will get me a good connection via HK (I'm only 8 miles from their HK server).

ETA: The fix they gave me actually seems to work pretty well. And, I should also note that I've never had problems using ExpressVPN on my phone (Android/Unicom).
So are you using it within HK or from the mainland?

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll have to make a little purchase I think

ALSO: Does anyone know of any free ones that may work for 2 months? I'm happy to pay, but like anyone, if there's any free VPNs known to work in China then Id prefer it!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Forget that, just bought ExpressVPN.

Will post here sometime Saturday/Sunday when I'm in China to let you know if I can access Facebook/BBC News etc!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by joe19924
Forget that, just bought ExpressVPN.

Will post here sometime Saturday/Sunday when I'm in China to let you know if I can access Facebook/BBC News etc!
I can pretty much guarantee this, but you might not be happy with the performance unless you do some tweaking.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I can pretty much guarantee this, but you might not be happy with the performance unless you do some tweaking.
Just as long as I can get on the news feed and do some short messages with friends and family, it's fine. Not looking to upload photos or videos during my stay. Will probably do all that when I get back to the UK.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:00 am

Good for you. Just a note, things may appear to work slowly but a lot depends on your internet connection too. Hotel wifi in China isn't known to be exactly high speed.

I'm also accessing via manual config (don't like to do it via the app) on my apple devices and it's been working smoothly.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:05 am

Also, BBC (and the FT) isn't blocked here. You'll need VPN to access:
FB, Bloomberg, NYT, Google (including Gmail, Maps, Translate, Hangouts, YouTube).

I decided I couldn't live in a well for so long and so the money has been well spent.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:11 am

Also, BBC (and the FT) isn't blocked here. You'll need VPN to access:
FB, Bloomberg, NYT, Google (including Gmail, Maps, Translate, Hangouts, YouTube).

I decided I couldn't live in a well for so long and so the money has been well spent.
Google employs too many children of party members to be blocked for long, but G+ (does anyone care?) and youtube are off the table... and images can be dicey even when the political climate is relaxed. Interestingly, my Unicom SIMs (I have a 3g phone/data SIM and a 4g data only SIM) had little trouble with Google/Gmail during this entire bad month sans VPN, but my China Telecom ADSL has been almost (but not completely) hopeless.

Switching topics, I just ran a speed test using Express VPN's HK server, and clocked in at 20 mb/s down, which is pretty good in these parts.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Ni hao from Zhongguo!

The VPN is working very well and I've been accessing Facebook and Twitter with no problems whatsoever using a server from the west side of the USA.

Just been to The Bank of China with my GBPs and they only accepted £120 of them as the others were apparently 'too old'. I didn't really know that that was a thing. No problem, though - I'll withdraw some from the cashpoint. I love looking at my balance in China as it's kind of like you've got an extra 0 on the end of your balance with the 10:1 exchange rate (CYN:GBP)!

In other news, it's damn hot.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:55 am

Never seen anyone more cheerful to be in this land but welcome!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Never seen anyone more cheerful to be in this land but welcome!
Really?

It's quite a nice change from England. I've also got my girlfriend here.

Only thing I'm having trouble with this time around is sleeping, it's currently 31c with 80% humidity at 2.30am... and I'm on FT trying to cool down. Not to mention that she loves to sleep right in the centre of the bed

Aside if that, the VPN does cut out sometimes and I have to reconnect it which can take 2 attempts. I can live with that, though as I'll only be needing it for 2 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.