Chromebook VPN in China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chromebook VPN in China

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
You need aircon. VPN gets cut sometimes due to weak wifi signal or lack of activity. And having the girlfriend there definitely helps.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VS, SU
Originally Posted by roverkt
You need aircon. VPN gets cut sometimes due to weak wifi signal or lack of activity. And having the girlfriend there definitely helps.
Can't line the streets with aircon units
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hi, all.

I wanted to let you know that my colleagues and I have recently started using theqingyun.com for our VPN needs, and so far it seems to be much better than Express/Strong/Astril (all of which had a rough summer). One thing I really like about it is that it only routes traffic that encounters obstacles over the VPN; this obviates the need to switch on/off in order to get optimal performance on unblocked sites.

The registration page is in Chinese only, but the process is pretty easy, and they bill you at inflated USD prices unless you use Alipay (either create an account yourself or ask someone who has one to spot you).
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by moondog
Hi, all.

I wanted to let you know that my colleagues and I have recently started using theqingyun.com for our VPN needs, and so far it seems to be much better than Express/Strong/Astril (all of which had a rough summer). One thing I really like about it is that it only routes traffic that encounters obstacles over the VPN; this obviates the need to switch on/off in order to get optimal performance on unblocked sites.

The registration page is in Chinese only, but the process is pretty easy, and they bill you at inflated USD prices unless you use Alipay (either create an account yourself or ask someone who has one to spot you).
Approximately how much does it cost per month?

tb
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by trueblu
Approximately how much does it cost per month?

tb
Y26 for one month and it falls off from there if you commit to longer term plans (i.e. standard SaaS pricing model).
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:46 am

I use Killwall.com -- 100rmb per year. Their site is in Chinese only. Performance this summer has been less good than previously for me too, but it works on both Windows 7, Android, iPad and on the Windows 10 technical preview
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: BA - Blue
As with md, have had lots of VPN issues recently, which is a total pain. So I decided to stump up the princely sum of 26RMB to check out the new service that was recommended.

Pros:
It is superb for gmail/ google and some other services, that even on vpn, can be slow. My google map utility shot up, as did just doing regular google searches.
As stated, no need to switch on/off
Cheaper than other VPN solutions
Can use multiple devices simultaneously

Cons:
Very inconsistent. E.g. BBC still blocked on PC (but not the phone app). This is BIG no no for me. Some other sites also still blocked..
Works great on my Nexus phone, but very buggy on the Nexus 7 tablet.
Sometimes just doesn't work...not clear why.
Seems to eat through even more data on my phone than previous vpn! Which means I do need to switch it on/off on the phone...
20G/ month limit on standard plan (so no good for streaming movies)
Can't choose your client -- e.g. pretend to be in UK or US. So no good e.g. for BBC iPlayer or Netflix.
My wife tells me that one can't stream fb videos from the tablet, but it's OK from the PC...??

Overall, when and if it works, it's fantastic. But e.g., right now, I've got it switched off on my laptop (I check BBC regularly) but on on my phone.

Since it's not that expensive, I will probably stump up the cash to use this IN ADDITION to the regular VPN that we've been using (Exp**ss). Although that can be painfully slow at times, it's very rare for it to flunk out completely, and the ability to choose country is valuable occasionally.
Also, I can't afford to be without VPN on the times that this one decides to be buggy.

tb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.