Wiki Posts
Search

economy hotel thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

economy hotel thread

This thread is of little relevance to most FTers because you want to stay in great hotels (a decision I completely support), but road warriors that are using their own money can benefit from this discussion.

The brands are: 168, Home Inn, Super 8, 7 Days Inn, Hanting, Jinjiang ++

I don't have much of a preference with regard to brands because the product on offer is a commodity. That having been said, some properties are good and some are not.

I have a few VIP cards at these chains, but this is kind of silly in the current environment (e.g. Ctrip's rate is almost always better than the top level VIP rate).

While you might be inclined to think that you can get a better rate by cutting out Ctrip, you will be wrong in almost all cases (the front desk people lack the power and incentive to change this).

To get things started, here are some property reviews:
1) Yoyo Beijing
-amazing location, and nice rooms... just be sure to demand a window
2) 7 Days Inns in southern China
-try to avoid, if possible
3) 168 Jing'an (Shanghai)
-very nice property; well worth paying a slight premium (I know that the TA people say otherwise; they are mistaken)
4) Super 8 Jing'an (Shanghai)
-decent enough, but your taxi driver will never find it unless your Chinese is awesome
5) Hanting Express Jing'an (Shanghai)
-sad place to say the least, but it the others are sold out, you will survive
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:36 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've had pretty good stays with hotels in the Hanting chain around China. Rooms are clean and with a good supply of power sockets. The free bottle of water has always been there in the Hanting hotels, unlike the Motel 268 in Hongqiao that I stay at often wherein the bottle is "forgotten" from time to time.
Just make sure that when booking, the hotel can accept foreigners - found out upon checkin at a Hanting in Jinan that they're not allowed to do so. Had to move to another Hanting near the airport which had no problems with foreign guests.

Last edited by KIXman; Mar 16, 2014 at 5:44 am
Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:24 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

My preferred chain has been Hanting, mainly for two reasons:

-individual A/C units where I've stayed (so I don't have to deal with cigarette smoke coming in through the vents, even though it's EVERYWHERE else in the hotel)
-some rooms offer desktop computers, albeit with proprietary software installed

Has anyone stayed at a Greentree Inn? Those are uniformly miserable.

I've stayed in some nice hotels in the mainland too, and don't find much of a difference between those and the lower-end, primarily because checking-in and checking-out is the most painful part of any stay. Throngs of people 插队 (and staff not enforcing queues), smokers (but not in the high-end lobbies so much) and generalized ignorance are the standard. Not to mention, self-absorbed mobile phone users are everywhere in the world, and China is no exception.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:54 am

I've stayed in a bunch of these hotels in china: motel 168, super 8, Green tree inn, Home inn. I think each location is different, its hard to generalize. But for me, I usually check in late and leave early- so these cheaper hotels are more then adequate for a place to take a hot shower and get a few hours sleep.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:06 am

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Middle Class

A bit more expensive than the one mentioned above: Penta Hotel Beijing and Shanghai - modern and affordable
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Here are a few more tips:

1) book a "pay at the hotel" rate on ctrip at 3 properties
2) go to the best one
3) if you like the room, tell the hotel people that you want the "pay online" rate, and book it yourself on the spot, or let them match it
-they usually can't match it, but if they do, you'll save ~20% because the rate ctrip displays on its English site does not include their new service charge
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moondog
Here are a few more tips:

1) book a "pay at the hotel" rate on ctrip at 3 properties
2) go to the best one
3) if you like the room, tell the hotel people that you want the "pay online" rate, and book it yourself on the spot, or let them match it
-they usually can't match it, but if they do, you'll save ~20% because the rate ctrip displays on its English site does not include their new service charge
Isn't it a bit unfair to the hotels and other potential guests to make three reservations and not even cancel the two you won't use?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't it a bit unfair to the hotels and other potential guests to make three reservations and not even cancel the two you won't use?
1. Ctrip automatically cancels the other two reservations after I check in
2. They are unable to guarantee rooms with WINDOWS at many of these hotels, and windows are important to me
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:24 am

I'd recommend the Super 8 Nanjing Xinjiekou. Seems pretty new. Large rooms, good wifi. Great location.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Motel 168 has four superb locations in Shanghai that I'm not going to divulge but they do offer very reasonable prices at prime locations in Puxi and Pudong.

Oh, let's make an exception: There is a perfectly adequate Motel 168 a few hundred meters from T1 at Honqgiao Airport (SHA) Quite nice when arriving from, say Japan or Korea in late evening and continuing elsewhere in the Middle Kingdom the following day.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:20 am

Motel 268 in Hongqiao area seems to have closed down
Other cheap options in the area are a couple of Hantings, but one of them won't take non-Chinese ...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:23 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KIXman
Other cheap options in the area are a couple of Hantings, but one of them won't take non-Chinese ...
No kidding, even a Hanting? That's a sizable domestic chain too.

I have yet to come across a hotel/motel/豆腐渣工程 that wouldn't accept me as a guest - which isn't to say there could always be a first time - however, one 宾馆 in Dongguan only let me stay one night because their scanner didn't work.

Last edited by BuildingMyBento; Jun 4, 2014 at 10:30 pm
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I can highly recommend the Asset Hotel in Shanghai for budget accommodation. Scores 4 on Tripadvisor - and at about $30 a night it is far superior to jin jinag and the like.

More of a solid three star hotel. On Wanping Lu.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
No kidding, even a Hanting? That's a sizable domestic chain too.

I have yet to come across a hotel/motel/豆腐渣工程 that wouldn't accept me as a guest - which isn't to say there could always be a first time - however, one 宾馆 in Dongguan only let me stay one night because their scanner didn't work.
I've stayed in a number of Hantings now, so far only this new one in Hongqiao and one in Jinan refused to let me stay - even with a local staff by my side to talk to them to see if there was any misunderstanding. I've been pretty much OK with other hotels so far.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by KIXman
Re-development? Have to admit not to have utilized that Motel x68 in the past few years...T1 side should have a few budget choices left?

Btw. still able to get Chinese three or so star hotels (business hotels) in northern Suzhou for about 150 - 200 RMB including breakfast. Take a HSR train from Honqgiao to Suzhou North station (25 minutes) and subway line 2 from there to "Likou" stop.

Even motels mostly cost more in Shanghai. Not to speak of the Grand Hyatt where our guys overnighted last time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.