Reload this Page >

72 hour transit visa for Shanghai or Beijing! Important notice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

72 hour transit visa for Shanghai or Beijing! Important notice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:28 pm

In other words, HK is not considered part of China for this purpose.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
In other words, HK is not considered part of China for this purpose.
I'm confused about how this statement relates to the current conversation.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm confused about how this statement relates to the current conversation.
HK is seen as a 'foreign country' for TWOV purposes, exactly the same as SIN/ USA etc. Otherwise, SIN-PEK-HKG would not be regarded as transit, in much the way that SIN-PEK-SHA is not a valid TWOV routing.

tb
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:13 am

Ok, thanks everyone. The crux of my question was that on the return flight, if my destination was SIN but through HKG, what would be considered the "destination" wrt to TWOV? It sounded like it was HKG, but I read another post where someone said the final destination was what mattered, not where you connected, so I wasn't sure.

But thanks for clarifying that the immediate segment before and after PEK is what really matters, regardless of whether they are part of a connecting flight, different tickets, etc. Cheers.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chaca
But thanks for clarifying that the immediate segment before and after PEK is what really matters, regardless of whether they are part of a connecting flight, different tickets, etc. Cheers.
If you have *A miles to burn, it should be pretty easy to hack together a compliant itinerary that won't kill you: CA in one direction and CA + SQ in the other.

If using cash, Air Asia should be good for SIN-KUL-PEK or vv, but the other direction will probably be a bit pricey (e.g. $500).
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: various
[QUOTE=chaca;23528132 ...but I read another post where someone said the final destination was what mattered, not where you connected, so I wasn't sure.
[/QUOTE]
That post was wrong. Only the immediate incoming and outgoing flight segments that touch China are of relevance. Those points may not be in the same country. So for TWOV KIX - PVG - ICN is fine but KIX - PVG -NRT is not. HK counts as its own country, as does Macau, as does Taiwan....for Chinese Immigration and TWOV purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.