Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Uber Shanghai (nice cars and not very expensive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I just started using Uber a few days ago because they've been generating quite a bit of buzz here. I must say that I really like it (sure beats fighting for taxis during rush hour). If you sign up using my friend's promo code before January 28, they'll load your account with $20 ($10 otherwise). The code is gpy28.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by moondog
I just started using Uber a few days ago because they've been generating quite a bit of buzz here. I must say that I really like it (sure beats fighting for taxis during rush hour). If you sign up using my friend's promo code before January 28, they'll load your account with $20 ($10 otherwise). The code is gpy28.
What kind of cars are they generally using? I haven't tried the Uber yet even in my home country.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcpteck
What kind of cars are they generally using? I haven't tried the Uber yet even in my home country.
A6 or better from what I've seen.
nomadjohn likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Air China; SPG, IHG, HH
UBER is position as high end in China right now. So unless company covers it, it's a bit expensive for private tour.

A cheaper option will be Yidao(www.yongche.com) - not sure if they have an english version. It offer a much bigger scale of services and more reasonable price.

If you want to catch a cab in the rush hour, you can use "bumblebee" or "Didi", you can simply give a RMB10 -20 as tips and there are more driver will want to pick you up.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by telan
UBER is position as high end in China right now. So unless company covers it, it's a bit expensive for private tour.
When you consider the fact that JFK to Manhattan in a taxi will set you back $70, I don't find Uber's rates to be extremely insane. Between downtown and PVG, they charge Y350. Sure that's Y150 more than a taxi, but you get to ride in a nice car.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 5:22 am

I'm in Nanjing, and i have uber installed from the US and was curious if there were any cars around here (none btw)

but i was browsing shanghai just for the heck of it, only saw 1 car- the next day, got an email from uber saying sorry that i couldn't find a car in shanghai and got deposited a free 50RMBs to my account for future use.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by nexus30
I'm in Nanjing, and i have uber installed from the US and was curious if there were any cars around here (none btw)

but i was browsing shanghai just for the heck of it, only saw 1 car- the next day, got an email from uber saying sorry that i couldn't find a car in shanghai and got deposited a free 50RMBs to my account for future use.
You can always check the Uber website to see what cities they operate in.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
moondog, what is "not very expensive"?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by mnredfox
moondog, what is "not very expensive"?
Uber rates are on their website. Base fare is 20rmb plus time and distance, minimum fare is 30rmb.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: Hotels.com Gold
I was using Uber when it first came out in SF, never had a bad experience with them but its been years since I used them. Might use them if I end up booking this layover in Guangzhou.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by Shocker077
I was using Uber when it first came out in SF, never had a bad experience with them but its been years since I used them. Might use them if I end up booking this layover in Guangzhou.
I think (happy to be corrected) they only have service in shanghai for now.

tb
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by trueblu
I think (happy to be corrected) they only have service in shanghai for now.

tb
I looked at their page and I thought it said they did, then I looked again and saw they have a "soft opening" celebration on Feb 8, not sure what it all means...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:01 am

Does the sign up bonus convert to local currency?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:33 am

Uber is fantastic in US cities which have dysfunctional taxi service so this could be a godsend in Shanghai where the supply demand situation is completely out of whack.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
So Uber just lowered rates in Shanghai by 30%. I took a Mercedes E-Class from People's Square to XinTianDi for only 35RMB - about $5.87 USD. I did take one to PVG from the Andaz XinTianDi and it came to 350RMB. I think it's a flat rate.
So far, I've gotten an E-Class twice, an S-Class once, and an Audi A6 once.

And if anyone wants to use my invite link
uber.com/invite/8wd45
You get 100 RMB in credit. Full disclosure, using my link will get me $20USD in credit after your first ride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.