Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Uber Shanghai (nice cars and not very expensive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber Shanghai (nice cars and not very expensive)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Heading to Shanghai and looks like I may have to do Uber to get where I'm going.

In question: I arrive to PVG on AA183 at 4:10pm. Assuming on-time arrival, average immigration formalities (TWOV), leaving our bags at the left-luggage storage place, and checking into our hotel near Fuxing Park, would we realistically be able to make the 7:30pm showing of the Era circus?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAXative
Heading to Shanghai and looks like I may have to do Uber to get where I'm going.

In question: I arrive to PVG on AA183 at 4:10pm. Assuming on-time arrival, average immigration formalities (TWOV), leaving our bags at the left-luggage storage place, and checking into our hotel near Fuxing Park, would we realistically be able to make the 7:30pm showing of the Era circus?
You certainly won't have to use Uber on the airport to hotel leg because taxis are easy to get there, and if you can't score a taxi on the hotel to Circus World segment, there's a decent chance that traffic is pretty bad so the subway might make the most sense. That having been said, 3:20 is more than enough time to pull the entire thing off.

On a slightly related note, I used Uber between LGA and midtown Manhattan last week -- my first airport pickup experience with them -- and found the process to be every bit as challenging as I possibly could have imagined. It was basically the same "I'm at upper level, door 3" drill that I'm sure we've all experienced, but with a car you don't recognize and a driver who certainly can't pick you out of the crowd. Without the ability to actually call the driver (not an option in some Uber markets), I would have been seriously frustrated.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by YariGuy
Has anyone gotten a fapiao for Uber rides in Shanghai?

I know for Beijing there is a link to a form to fill out (https://uberform.wufoo.com/forms/ube...est-form-ecce/) but I haven't found one for Shanghai.
What's the purpose for getting a fapiao for Uber?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Umm, perhaps because most of our companies require them?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by moondog
Umm, perhaps because most of our companies require them?
I see, so your company accepts Uber rides instead of regular taxis? Sweet.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Timing was spot on, we would have made it but for the the fact that our arrival was delayed until 4:50, which ate up the our travel time to the circus. Next time!

Ended up using UberX because I had credits to use up, and as suspected my driver didn't speak very good English but could text well enough. Seems like most Uber drivers just hang out outside the arrival doors resorting for the call

Originally Posted by moondog
You certainly won't have to use Uber on the airport to hotel leg because taxis are easy to get there, and if you can't score a taxi on the hotel to Circus World segment, there's a decent chance that traffic is pretty bad so the subway might make the most sense. That having been said, 3:20 is more than enough time to pull the entire thing off.

On a slightly related note, I used Uber between LGA and midtown Manhattan last week -- my first airport pickup experience with them -- and found the process to be every bit as challenging as I possibly could have imagined. It was basically the same "I'm at upper level, door 3" drill that I'm sure we've all experienced, but with a car you don't recognize and a driver who certainly can't pick you out of the crowd. Without the ability to actually call the driver (not an option in some Uber markets), I would have been seriously frustrated.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Dumb question, same app as I use in the US works? Will it be in Chinese (not a problem for me, just want to know). Do the Uber drivers in Shanghai speak English? (again not an issue for me, just curious)
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Dumb question, same app as I use in the US works? Will it be in Chinese (not a problem for me, just want to know). Do the Uber drivers in Shanghai speak English? (again not an issue for me, just curious)
I don't think they have a Chinese language app.

None of the drivers I've used during the course of the past week seemed to speak English beyond the basics, though I didn't test them.

As for your first question, you certainly don't need to re-install the app, but I've found that changing the country code of your phone number (in your account, not the app) can be a serious PITA. So, when traveling to different countries, I simply register again using a different email address and a local number. In the "using Uber abroad" thread, there are reports of people getting by with wifi only, but I think that's just plain silly (at least in Shanghai where linking up with the driver is rarely easy).
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Final report: Took UberX again back to PVG for ease. It's a 248 RMB flat rate to/from PVG (but charged to your card in USD). Got a very nice VW Passat on the way back. The driver also not very well-spoken in English (admitted as such) but could understand directions well, and we even got a joke or two in. Offered Aquafina, ignored phone calls... great UberX experience.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:22 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by LAXative
Final report: Took UberX again back to PVG for ease. It's a 248 RMB flat rate to/from PVG (but charged to your card in USD). Got a very nice VW Passat on the way back. The driver also not very well-spoken in English (admitted as such) but could understand directions well, and we even got a joke or two in. Offered Aquafina, ignored phone calls... great UberX experience.
248 rmb/6.02 USD. 41 USD

far cry from, not all that long ago

150 rmb/8.2USD 18 USD
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
248 rmb/6.02 USD. 41 USD

far cry from, not all that long ago

150 rmb/8.2USD 18 USD
When Uber first launched in Shanghai (and prior to Uber X), their flat fee to/from PVG was Y650. Their were few takers at that rate so they dropped it to Y350, and added Uber X at Y250. I think those are both reasonable prices. Actually, a sizable portion of the Uber X fleet are Buick GL8 minivans (easy to pick on the map), so if you have more people/luggage than can fit in a taxi, this is a very good deal.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Just to follow up on this my secretary was able to get the fapiao. You can get it on a per-ride basis or they'll do it once a month if you ride often.

To answer lcpteck the tax authorities require fapiao to justify business expenses.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:49 am
Original Poster

I've recently started using people's uber, and must say that it's a fantastic service. E.g. xtd to the portman at 7p (tough place/time to hail cabs), 1 minute wait, brand new Audi TT (thank goodness I was solo, but comfortable shotgun), driver spoke perfect English, total fare = y12. And, you can get all the way across town for around y30.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: Basement Lurker Club
My experience of Uber in Guangzhou seems to be completely different from everyone here.

I've used Uber just about everywhere in Asia and here it comes off as completely dysfunctional and rather irritating. When I go to book an Uber, before I can even type in the destination, I'll get the driver calling me asking where I am and where do I want to go?!? I find this really irritating.

Additionally, I'll have Ubers' of which are within a minute of me, but some reason I always end getting picked up by one that takes 15 to 20 minutes to reach me at which point I wish I had just taken a regular taxi since their plentiful even during rush hour.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hessinger
My experience of Uber in Guangzhou seems to be completely different from everyone here.

I've used Uber just about everywhere in Asia and here it comes off as completely dysfunctional and rather irritating. When I go to book an Uber, before I can even type in the destination, I'll get the driver calling me asking where I am and where do I want to go?!? I find this really irritating.

Additionally, I'll have Ubers' of which are within a minute of me, but some reason I always end getting picked up by one that takes 15 to 20 minutes to reach me at which point I wish I had just taken a regular taxi since their plentiful even during rush hour.
Shortly after I made my previous (glowing) post, two of my colleagues told me that Uber completely screwed them over. Both cases happened during rush hour, and both colleagues ended up missing their meetings because Uber cars (which, they had booked) passed them by.

I suppose that these examples demonstrate that you can't count on Uber for anything important in Shanghai.

That having been said, most of my rides have gone smoothly... and, it's REALLY hard to get taxis (without didi booking) these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.