Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

DL and MU's new "seamless transfer" at PVG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL and MU's new "seamless transfer" at PVG?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
By the way — I read in China Eastern's in-flight magazine that if you're transferring to International at PVG, the airline requires you to claim and recheck your bags. So this seems to be a policy — a policy Delta should help them get rid of.
The return trip was tolerable, but certainly not ideal. A little over two hours to go from plane to bus gate to baggage claim, pick up bag, go through customs, take it to the transfer desk, get bag tag reprinted, get boarding passes get reprinted, go through customs again, go through departure immigration, go through customs again (!) and finally go through security. Once that joyful process was over, I visited VIP lounge 37 — which is a terrible lounge. China Eastern should be embarrassed. Their lounge at NKG was vastly superior. But hey, my PVG departure was on time, boarding was efficient, so, all-in-all I'll take it.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think one year is optimistic.
Trying to confirm if there has been any improvements? Doing a trip in early October from DTW-PVG-XIY-PEK-DTW and DM RA stated unequivocally that my checked bag will "seamlessly" be transferred at both PVG and PEK. This and other threads seem to indicate otherwise. Any recent experiences? It's possible I could pack lighter and avoid checking any bag if it will be an issue/hassle. PVG connection time is 2 hours 15 minutes, PEK is 3:25 on the return. Been to both airports a few times but never with a transfer to MU.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:02 pm

Hi FT - Long time lurker, first time poster here. Flying SEA-PVG-CTU on DL/MU in March and curious if the transfer process is any more "seamless" than the previous posts here.

Has anyone done a PVG transfer with MU recently?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by air_k
Hi FT - Long time lurker, first time poster here. Flying SEA-PVG-CTU on DL/MU in March and curious if the transfer process is any more "seamless" than the previous posts here.

Has anyone done a PVG transfer with MU recently?
Welcome to FT and the China forum.

Most of this thread has to do with international-to-international transfers which should be more seamless than they currently are. However, you are flying international > domestic. You will need to pass through China Entry Immigration at PVG and present your Chinese visa, this much is certain. It is likely that you will need to then pick up your bags at Bag Claim, go through Customs (generally just a walk through) then go to MU domestic departures for recheck-in. While it is possible that at SEA your bags will be sent all the way through to CTU for you to collect and go through Customs there, I've heard of too many data points where North American airline staff claimed this is what would happen, but the bags still come out on the belt for collection at PVG while you've moved on to the final destination. IMO, the only logical thing you can do is to purposely have your bags tagged only to PVG so you know you have to fetch them then recheck and get a new boarding pass for the domestic. Even though it's more physical effort on your part, you'll eliminate the uncertainties of the process.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: KF, FB, HH, AA
Any idea or what the REAL for transfer process for a PH passport holder for ALL CHINA eastern flight for CEB-PVG-JFK and back is transit time or connection times are 10hrs CEB-PVG-JFK and 19 hours on JFK-PVG-CEB, any one could shed some light?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.