Reload this Page >

English speaking driver from JW Marriott Beijing to Mutianyu Great Wall

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

English speaking driver from JW Marriott Beijing to Mutianyu Great Wall

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:37 am

To do the Great Wall followed by the Summer Palace by a driver and taking the subway back from the Summer Palace on your own is pretty much standard procedure. No point to pay a driver to wait for you a few hours when you are in town. Although to have him wait is always possible for a price.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by DeeCipher
Just got back from our Asia trip. Simon picked us up on time at our hotel, the car was immaculate, he explained where to go and helped us buy our tickets for the gondola and the wall.

However, I have to say that Simon was not a particularly safe driver. He tailgated, wove in and out of traffic, took unnecessary risks passing cars on 2-lane roads and was generally very impatient. The other drivers on the road did NOT drive this way, so it made us think his driving is the exception, not the rule. We asked him to slow it down a bit and he complied. All 4 of us felt the drive was pretty nerve-wracking.

We arranged for him to pick us up at our hotel, then take us to the Wall and the Summer Palace. First thing in the morning, he mentioned that he would drop us off at the Summer Palace. On the way from the Wall to the Summer Palace he clarified that he was dropping us off at the Palace and we should take the Metro back to our hotel. That was the first I heard about taking the Metro, but "Thank You!" I didn't need to feel guilty about him waiting for us and my family and I felt safer on the Metro.
Did you buy him lunch? How does tipping typically work?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dmo580
Did you buy him lunch? How does tipping typically work?
I never tip, but I usually buy the driver lunch. That having been said, since there's been quite a bit of price creep in this market during the past two years, I would not throw in the lunch if I felt I was being overcharged in the first place.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:08 pm

Quick question: is the Mutianyu section of the wall a popular one to visit? Can you go there under a TWOV entry (since you are "supposed" to stay within the Beijing limits) - don't know what would happen if you got hurt or something and were outside the city...
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by DeeCipher
Just got back from our Asia trip. Simon picked us up on time at our hotel, the car was immaculate, he explained where to go and helped us buy our tickets for the gondola and the wall.

However, I have to say that Simon was not a particularly safe driver. He tailgated, wove in and out of traffic, took unnecessary risks passing cars on 2-lane roads and was generally very impatient. The other drivers on the road did NOT drive this way, so it made us think his driving is the exception, not the rule. We asked him to slow it down a bit and he complied. All 4 of us felt the drive was pretty nerve-wracking.

We arranged for him to pick us up at our hotel, then take us to the Wall and the Summer Palace. First thing in the morning, he mentioned that he would drop us off at the Summer Palace. On the way from the Wall to the Summer Palace he clarified that he was dropping us off at the Palace and we should take the Metro back to our hotel. That was the first I heard about taking the Metro, but "Thank You!" I didn't need to feel guilty about him waiting for us and my family and I felt safer on the Metro.
I used Simon about 2 months ago for the same tour. My experience was totally anti to yours, so I guess YMMV. Simon was a very safe driver and always complied with requests and plans effortlessly.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
I used Simon about 2 months ago for the same tour. My experience was totally anti to yours, so I guess YMMV. Simon was a very safe driver and always complied with requests and plans effortlessly.
Could there be more than one "Simon"? Could he be subcontracting out some trips to others and instructing the other drivers who work for him to say that they are Simon?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by mojo2121
Quick question: is the Mutianyu section of the wall a popular one to visit? Can you go there under a TWOV entry (since you are "supposed" to stay within the Beijing limits) - don't know what would happen if you got hurt or something and were outside the city...
Who told you that it isn't in Beijing? Yes it's popular because it's restored (therefore not dangerous) and isn't quite as disneyfied as badaling. However, I must admit that it bothers me that the gw threads here are always so limited in scope.
Old May 1, 2014, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Who told you that it isn't in Beijing? Yes it's popular because it's restored (therefore not dangerous) and isn't quite as disneyfied as badaling. However, I must admit that it bothers me that the gw threads here are always so limited in scope.
Moondog,

Thanks for the response. No one said specifically it was outside of the Beijing municipality - but that's exactly what I wanted to check!

Sounds like a good place to visit - I will also inquire about Simons services. About how long can one expect to stay there if you want to hike for a bit?
Old May 1, 2014, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by mojo2121
Moondog,

Thanks for the response. No one said specifically it was outside of the Beijing municipality - but that's exactly what I wanted to check!

Sounds like a good place to visit - I will also inquire about Simons services. About how long can one expect to stay there if you want to hike for a bit?
Between one and four hours ime.
Old May 3, 2014, 9:14 am

Just got off a Simon ride from the airport. He was courteous and professional. As for his driving habits, maybe on the faster side compared to traffic, but he signals for every merge, and there was no cutting people off that is typical in China. Not sure if he weaved a bit, but from a passenger comfort side I couldn't tell unless I was actively watching his every move.

Not at all scary, even compared to US drivers. By comparison my Lyft driver this morning who took me to the airport was slow and never cut anyone off but his driving skill level was total *facepalm* status where he braked every merge. I could imagine if I was driving separately and saw that Lyft car, I'd curse him out. If anything Simon's far better than the typical "courteous" US driver. I'd say Simon and I drive similarly which was why I was completely comfortable. And in no means am I an aggressive driver in the US. I just drive 70-75 and practice defensive driving techniques.

I'll report back tomorrow after my Great Wall tour.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suggested this before, but are we sure that Simon is just one person and not a team of drivers and vehicles?
Old May 6, 2014, 1:48 am

Anyone want to describe Simon? Short hair, drove a Skoda, age is probably mid 30s. Height probably 5'7" ?
Old May 24, 2014, 6:21 pm

simon

If the guy spoke reasonably good English then it can not be a sub-contractor.

As moondog has explained on various threads so many times, if you can speak English, you don't need to be taxi driver, you can easily move up the food chain. (guide, for example or hotel front desk person)

Simon has/is working at a hotel front desk. He is very professional and polite. He is also aware about flyertalk and tripadvisor. Giving you a loaner phone with "call simon" preprogrammed is something he has been doing for years. He also strongly recommends to take Gondola (both ways). Willing to come up to Wall in Gondola (he rides free) and take your pix.

BTW, I thought he was a slow driver. Expected drivers in China too be at least as reckless as Pakistani Taxi drivers in NYC. Simon was too conservative by that measure.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:09 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Anyone have any other recommendations besides Simon? I drove with Simon last time I flew into PEK, and he's nice enough indeed, and a good drive, but didn't seem to relay much about the sites or history, didn't seem that into his service offering, seemed a bit distant and disinterested. Would prefer someone with some enthusiasm and local historical knowledge, as well as local pride that could set us up for local airport pickup, dropoff and an awesome tour in between.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:23 am

If you need a guide then you should hire one. drivers are not guides (most of the time).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.