Community
Wiki Posts
Search

English speaking driver from JW Marriott Beijing to Mutianyu Great Wall

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by wombattoo
I've recently got in contact with Simon (after reading the suggestions here) and was quoted 900RMB for a trip to Jinshanling Great Wall. This seems quite steep compared to other prices floating around, does this section cost more to get to? My hotel won't quote for a taxi to this section of the wall as they say it is dangerous...
You posted this on the other Taxi/Car thread (multiple posting is a no-no on FT, but we'll cut you slack here ). I answered there.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by desi
I ended up using him only for Mutianyu Wall trip only (less than 6 hours total)

Paid him either 550 RMB or 600 RMB (one of the two)
Basically, just paid him whatever he suggested as I was pretty happy with such stress-free trip (had heard too many ugly stories about tours with mandatory shopping stops and cheating taxi drivers)

Wall trip was the nice part of short Beijing stay.
The rest of BJ, I was not that impressed.
Particularly disgusted by what was going on in the evening/night at JW on executive floor (supposedly same floor where US secretary of state stays).But then others on FT hinted that it is not that unusual practice by some western vistors. oh well, i will remmeber the good part - nice hassle free wall trip and nice 2-3 hours on crowd-free wall (again Simon's suggestion to ignore chair-lift and instead take gondola and go LEFT was a useful one)
RMB 550-600 is currently a very fair price for Mutianyu roundtrip.

(my bold) What were you so disgusted by? Activities? (which I presume are of the nocturnal adult variety) The fact that it was happening on the Executive Floor? The fact it was the JW Marriott? Were you being pressured to partake against your will? Kept awake by festivities all night (for which a complaint to manager-on-duty, in real time, is appropriate).

I'm also curious: Do you have much experience traveling in Asia?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
RMB 550-600 is currently a very fair price for Mutianyu roundtrip.

(my bold) What were you so disgusted by? Activities? (which I presume are of the nocturnal adult variety) The fact that it was happening on the Executive Floor? The fact it was the JW Marriott? Were you being pressured to partake against your will? Kept awake by festivities all night (for which a complaint to manager-on-duty, in real time, is appropriate).

I'm also curious: Do you have much experience traveling in Asia?
answers:
q) experience traveling in Asia?
a) yes plenty. my choice of handle is good hint

q) what was shocking?
a) that hotel like JW allowed this to take place so brazenly

q) what was disgusting?
a) nice texan who sat across at BF sharing sightseeing tips as well as mini-lecturing me about chritian values was the one involved in this activity

(my shock/disgust would have been same had I seen weed being paddled outside executive lounge at JW)

May be it was me just being naive about china or JW or that guy's claim of values or all of them.

Getting bit OT from thread subject, so lets end this discussion.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Desi:

jiejie is among the most conservative FTers I've met in person, so the fact that she thinks your attitude was prudish speaks volumes. The Texan you met likes attractive girls. Can you honestly fault him for this?

I must admit that when I first arrived in China almost 20 years ago, I thought that foreign (male) travelers here were sleaze bags. But, my attitude has softened since.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I hired Simon, of http://www.simon-service.com/ and the service provided was excellent.

I will be using Simon again.

He picked me up at PEK T-3 and then went to the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square and the Silk Market before dropping me off at the JW.

He provided me a mobile phone for me to call him when I wanted to at Tiananmen Square. Water was provided for the walk on the Great Wall and when I was at T. Square.

He was great and I would definitely recommend him to anyone and plan to use him when I'm in PEK again.

Now as far as the Executive lounge at the JW and the previous couple of postings ... we are all adults here.

I'm zonked. Time to grab a shower and get some sleep. I hiked along the Great Wall up to Beacon 13 at Juyong Guan. I much prefer this location than Badaling however you need be in shape to climb the Great Wall at this location.

Cheers
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:32 am

Programs: UA1P
My family (wife + 7 year old daughter) hired Simon of http://www.simon-service.com/ for a long PEK layover (TWOV), and the service provided was excellent.

Very clean (on the inside -- with the Beijing air, not many cars are clean on the outside ;-) and comfortable car, very good English and willing to explain anything or answer questions.

He met us at PEK T-3, drove us to Mutianyu, then on to the Summer Palace, and back to PEK.

He walked us up to the Mutianyu ticket sales, explained some of the options, gave some advice and a loaner phone with the "Call Simon" button.

He had a map of the Summer Palace, and showed us some options and said to just give him a call for a pickup letting him know which exit.

Back at the airport, he looked up our flight on his phone, and directed us to the right check-in.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by catflyer
My family (wife + 7 year old daughter) hired Simon of http://www.simon-service.com/ for a long PEK layover (TWOV), and the service provided was excellent.

Very clean (on the inside -- with the Beijing air, not many cars are clean on the outside ;-) and comfortable car, very good English and willing to explain anything or answer questions.

He met us at PEK T-3, drove us to Mutianyu, then on to the Summer Palace, and back to PEK.

He walked us up to the Mutianyu ticket sales, explained some of the options, gave some advice and a loaner phone with the "Call Simon" button.

He had a map of the Summer Palace, and showed us some options and said to just give him a call for a pickup letting him know which exit.

Back at the airport, he looked up our flight on his phone, and directed us to the right check-in.
Simon is now quoting 800RMB for this service. Is it fair and reasonable, or should I keep looking?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
Simon is now quoting 800RMB for this service. Is it fair and reasonable, or should I keep looking?
Sounds fair to me. Just returned from PEK and Simon's services are great all around.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Day trip in Beijing advice

Hello,

Glad I came across this, I'm leaning towards this Simon fellow. Quick question for those that have been here, if you only have a day to tour, what should you see, Great Wall - which one/section is the best to go to. Should I go to the Summer Palace or the Ming Tombs?

I'll be able to visit Tiananment Square, Forbidden City etc, on my own as my hotel is within walking distance.

I'm traveling this weekend, arrive Saturday and looking at using Sunday to see the Wall and something else.

thanks for any and all recommendations.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
I got in touch with Simon, over email he seems great we are all set for our tour this Sunday. Thanks all for the info.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:03 am

Great finding this thread! I tried /r/beijing first and got a suggestion or two. I'm looking at a May 4th tour around Beijing. I know it'll be hectic given its the first workday after a 3 day weekend, but we'll see.... I too am interested in Mutianyu.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:11 pm

Questions:

Anyone use Wild Great Wall? I got a quote for 1580RMB!!!

Simon and another recommendation were quoting 700-800 RMB. What's the difference? Am I going to be sent to shopping on the cheaper ones?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:05 am

Thank you, FlyerTalk China Board. Hubby, two of our adult kids and I will be in Beijing in mid-April. I was having a difficult time trying to find a reasonable way to get to Mutianyu and the Summer Palace that didn't include "shopping" stops. Then, "Duh!" I checked here. We are booked with Simon for April 17.

He quoted us 600 RMB. Should I give him 800 (base price + tip)? I intend to buy his lunch when we stop between the Great Wall and the Summer Palace. Anything else to be a good customer/tourist? This is our first time in China. I read tipping isn't a thing in China like it is in the US. But all the sites I read for drivers to the Great Wall suggested a 20% tip and that 8 is a lucky number.

Last edited by DeeCipher; Mar 18, 2014 at 11:11 am Reason: forgot to add a question
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:18 pm

A little disappointed

Just got back from our Asia trip. Simon picked us up on time at our hotel, the car was immaculate, he explained where to go and helped us buy our tickets for the gondola and the wall.

However, I have to say that Simon was not a particularly safe driver. He tailgated, wove in and out of traffic, took unnecessary risks passing cars on 2-lane roads and was generally very impatient. The other drivers on the road did NOT drive this way, so it made us think his driving is the exception, not the rule. We asked him to slow it down a bit and he complied. All 4 of us felt the drive was pretty nerve-wracking.

We arranged for him to pick us up at our hotel, then take us to the Wall and the Summer Palace. First thing in the morning, he mentioned that he would drop us off at the Summer Palace. On the way from the Wall to the Summer Palace he clarified that he was dropping us off at the Palace and we should take the Metro back to our hotel. That was the first I heard about taking the Metro, but "Thank You!" I didn't need to feel guilty about him waiting for us and my family and I felt safer on the Metro.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DeeCipher
However, I have to say that Simon was not a particularly safe driver. He tailgated, wove in and out of traffic, took unnecessary risks passing cars on 2-lane roads and was generally very impatient. The other drivers on the road did NOT drive this way, so it made us think his driving is the exception, not the rule. We asked him to slow it down a bit and he complied. All 4 of us felt the drive was pretty nerve-wracking.
We arranged for him to pick us up at our hotel, then take us to the Wall and the Summer Palace. First thing in the morning, he mentioned that he would drop us off at the Summer Palace. On the way from the Wall to the Summer Palace he clarified that he was dropping us off at the Palace and we should take the Metro back to our hotel. That was the first I heard about taking the Metro, but "Thank You!" I didn't need to feel guilty about him waiting for us and my family and I felt safer on the Metro.
1. Why didn't you tell him to drive slower/kinder? You were his boss for the day.

2. If he agreed to bring you back from the Summer Palace to your hotel at the end of the day and backed out that is his foul, but he shouldn't have in the first place for the following reasons:
-the most efficient way to do the Summer Palace is to enter in one gate and exit via another; since presumably hadn't been to the other gate before, it would be difficult to arrange a meeting spot
-pick-ups at the Summer Palace are very challenging to arrange even if you have a meet place in mind
-the Summer Palace is only a ~Y60 taxi ride away from most parts of the city
-traffic at the end of the day up there can be brutal, so stopping off somewhere along the way (like Wudaokou) or taking the metro are both advisable options

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.