the Shanghai ground transportation data thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the Shanghai ground transportation data thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Unless I missed a beat, you forgot to mention the cost of the: 1) best; and 2) cheapest -- options:

-bus costs around y21
-subway costs around y8
Thanks for filling in the missing details!

I believe the bus price has now risen to Y22 but can't confirm as I haven't taken it myself.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
2158 Get into cab
2229 Arrive at Jing-An Temple

So there you have it 31 minutes from PVG to Jing An. Again, late at night no traffic, AND the driver was about the craziest one I've ever had. He averaged about 120kph on the highways and hit max around 138 kph. This was one of the few times I was actually looking for a seatbelt in a cab in Shanghai.
Impressive. Did he take the middle ring or the outer ring road? Did he bother to brake for the speed cameras
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:35 am

This was one of the few times I was actually looking for a seatbelt in a cab in Shanghai.
lol. Sure, that would help I've always gone under the assumption that taxis in China are built just a little bit better than those wood frame delivery trucks in India.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by i'mlovin'it
lol. Sure, that would help I've always gone under the assumption that taxis in China are built just a little bit better than those wood frame delivery trucks in India.
It doesn't matter how sturdily it's built, it's just as lethal:

This was an accident last year that claimed the lives of all five people in the taxi, including the four passengers who were Korean housewives. It was a head-on on a single carriageway caused by some idiot making a right-turn from a side street without checking, which caused the taxi driver to go into an evasive manoeuvre that led to the head-on with a bus.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tauphi

I was expecting to see some gory accident photo, but my computer displays this instead:

Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Impressive. Did he take the middle ring or the outer ring road? Did he bother to brake for the speed cameras
Middle Ring Road to Lupu Bridge. I know, I was checking my GPS on my phone as he was driving to make sure I was reading his speedometer correctly. He definitely didn't slow for the camera's, they were flashing away as he sped by. Apparently the driver thought if he went fast enough the camera's couldn't catch him, either that or the license plates were covered.

And in case you were wondering, he flashed his high beams probably about 592 times in the 31 min ride. Like him, I didn't want any of the other cars on the road cutting in front of us as I couldn't find the seatbelt buckle...
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by moondog
I was expecting to see some gory accident photo, but my computer displays this instead:

Same here, translated to picture cannot be found...
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:17 am

Same here, translated to picture cannot be found...
Hmm, it seems that that particular website checks the referrer URL and forbids linking from external sites. So if you open the link in a window by itself and hit refresh it should display correctly.

But let's see if these ones are any better:

Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:05 am
Original Poster

But let's see if these ones are any better:
Better? Hmmm; I think I vote for the innocuous company logo.

For better or for worse, the local media does a pretty good job of avoiding stories like this; makes it easier for me to get people to visit me and tell them to chill out whenever cabbies get a bit too intense.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 6:11 am
Original Poster

OP updated with summary of findings to date.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Now that I've had a crack at the spreadsheet, it's occurred to me that much of the info I requested in the OP is superfluous (e.g. your touchdown and "off the plane" times are of little relevance).

So, going forward, let's try to focus on the variables that actually matter with respect to the subject at hand:

-the time you escaped the airport (I'm cool using baggage retrieval to fulfill this requirement)
-method of transportation
-your destination
-arrival time at destination... bonus = total number of minutes
-cost

Last edited by moondog; Jan 2, 2011 at 8:09 pm
Old Jan 2, 2011, 9:05 pm

PVG-Lujiazui

Date: Jan 2, 2011
Exit Airport: 15.29
MOT: Car
Destination: Lujiazui
Arrival Time Destination: 16.12
Cost: 0

Note: Will be my last report for PVG-Lujiazui trips since all have been of similar length (30-45 mins).
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
when I drive my own car it takes me around 40 minutes from PVG car park to Xujiahui if there is not much traffic (45 km).
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:06 pm

u are brave to drive in China!

Originally Posted by janwillem
when I drive my own car it takes me around 40 minutes from PVG car park to Xujiahui if there is not much traffic (45 km).
Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:42 pm

Programs: AC, BR, CX, TK, UA
Opposite direction - Early AM?

I have an 8:45AM flight out of PVG and I was hoping to use the return portion of the ticket on the Maglev but from what I'm reading, the first train doesn't departs until 6:45AM and arrives approximately 10 minutes later at the airport terminal.

This will be my first time through PVG and I'm unfamiliar with how things play out at that time in the morning. Is 7AM busy time for departures?

I'm departing on an TG flight to Bankgok from T2 - is 1h45min enough time to check-in and complete the customs and security screening?

If not, I'm guess that hiring a cab would be the only other option at that time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.