Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Business travel to China - Any major issues?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:30 am
Original Poster

My work colleague and I, both US citizens, have valid 10-year visas in expired US passports (and we both have current US passports).
We've both been to China a number of times but not since 2019 and are thinking it may be time to return.
We're firm believers in face to face meetings to maintain relationships with existing customers and gain business with new customers.

We have an office in Shanghai whose people we travel with when we're in the country so we always have a local with us or nearby.
Time is spent mostly in Shanghai, Nantong, and Dalian areas but past visits have also included Gunagzhou, Qingdao, and others (as well as Hong Kong).

While it's not absolutely necessary for us to visit China this year we'll already be in other parts of Asia in October so that timing provides an opportunity.
We've done plenty of other post-pandemic travel, are vaccinated, and are fine with masking up - whether mandatory or when it just may be a good idea.

I've done some research and haven't found any major red flags (I'm aware of the current US State Department advisory).
Have I missed anything to suggest that a visit in October would be a major hassle or simply inadvisable?
Our colleagues in Shanghai feel it would be OK but I'm looking for perspective from others who have been there for business recently or have any advice to provide.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
What type of visas do you have?
No, there's no issue at all in traveling to China for tourism or business. It is best to come to China within the scope of the visa though; i.e. business visa for business travel, etc.
Bring both passports, old and new.

(I wasn't even aware there was a US State Department advisory; what are they warning against? The "evil" Chinese regime? )

Many of us are traveling back and forth, China/USA without any problem whatsoever. In fact many of us did this throughout the pandemic ---> it's LOT easier nowadays!
Old Aug 22, 2023, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
Forgot to mention they are business visas (10 years, multiple entries) and we'd bring both passports.

The State Department advisory is mostly about "arbitrary enforcement of local laws, including in relation to exit bans, and the risk of wrongful detentions", which I'm not too worried about. There are far more valuable pawns available than myself.

Thanks for the feedback!
narvik and PES_B1 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No, there's no issue at all in traveling to China for tourism or business. It is best to come to China within the scope of the visa though; i.e. business visa for business travel, etc.
Bring both passports, old and new.

(I wasn't even aware there was a US State Department advisory; what are they warning against? The "evil" Chinese regime? )

Many of us are traveling back and forth, China/USA without any problem whatsoever. In fact many of us did this throughout the pandemic ---> it's LOT easier nowadays!
While I don't disagree with you from a de jure perspective, practically speaking:
-it is common for people on business visas to engage in tourist-related activities
-people on tourist visas are not forbidden from talking about business or visiting businesses
-since you can only have one valid visa at a time, the idea of switching back and forth between statuses for each trip is kind of silly

I will raise a potential issue for the OP, though. rts123 If you are extremely risk averse, you might want to try to bring a copy of your original invitation letter with you (or make a new version and postdate it). I've honestly only heard about this snag a handful of times, and it's the kind of thing that you should be able to talk your way out of with minimal effort.
rts123 likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Aug 22, 2023 at 7:15 pm
Old Aug 22, 2023, 7:37 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Plenty of American tourists and businesspeople visiting China - no issues for anyone. Do make sure you have your entry paperwork in order (invite letter, etc.) There are sporadic checks at the entry.

Also - do get Alipay and Wechat before you go, and connect your international credit card to it - it will simplify your life quite a bit.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
Plenty of American tourists and businesspeople visiting China - no issues for anyone. Do make sure you have your entry paperwork in order (invite letter, etc.) There are sporadic checks at the entry.

Also - do get Alipay and Wechat before you go, and connect your international credit card to it - it will simplify your life quite a bit.
TMK, invitation letters are only officially required in order to procure visas. If you no longer have a letter that was issued 7 years ago, simply tell the border control people that you lost it, and they will presumably relent.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 3:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by moondog
-since you can only have one valid visa at a time, the idea of switching back and forth between statuses for each trip is kind of silly
At the time of writing, OP had not made it clear which visa they had, and from their description, a business visa seemed much more suitable; I was trying to emphasize that point.

------------------------------

...you might want to try to bring a copy of your original invitation letter with you...
^^^
Suggests to bring a copy of the invitation letter, just to be on the safe side.

Do make sure you have your entry paperwork in order (invite letter, etc.) There are sporadic checks at the entry.
^^^
Also suggests to bring a copy of the invitation letter to be on the safe side.

TMK, invitation letters are only officially required in order to procure visas.
^^^
Now states invitation letters aren't needed ----->

No worries; it's China: better be safe than sorry, and just because something is technically not needed, doesn't mean it isn't wise to "play it safe".
During the pandemic there were stories about foreigners getting asked to produce their work permit and apartment lease on entry, and although I never got asked for this in 15 years, I relented too, and took copies of them with me back in 2022, just in case. Wasn't asked for them, and don't bother to take that precaution anymore.
Like was written, it's just a matter of your own personal comfort level.

Last edited by narvik; Aug 23, 2023 at 3:39 am
Old Aug 23, 2023, 5:52 am

At the time of writing, OP had not made it clear which visa they had, and from their description, a business visa seemed much more suitable; I was trying to emphasize that point.

------------------------------

^^^
Suggests to bring a copy of the invitation letter, just to be on the safe side.

^^^
Also suggests to bring a copy of the invitation letter to be on the safe side.

^^^
Now states invitation letters aren't needed ----->

No worries; it's China: better be safe than sorry, and just because something is technically not needed, doesn't mean it isn't wise to "play it safe".
During the pandemic there were stories about foreigners getting asked to produce their work permit and apartment lease on entry, and although I never got asked for this in 15 years, I relented too, and took copies of them with me back in 2022, just in case. Wasn't asked for them, and don't bother to take that precaution anymore.
Like was written, it's just a matter of your own personal comfort level.
不知道

If the unlikely event the conversation doesn't end there, the back office folks will clear it up in short order.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 8:22 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Not sure of proper post for these comments, I've been in mainland for 6 weeks, BJ for nearly a month.
Travel advisory is still a 3 for mainland & macau, bu HK is at 2, fortunately no more Health OR code needed as of Nov. 1st.

Some observations from my last visit nearly 4 years ago. (exit date was Feb 1st 2020)
In Beijing, the pedestrians & scooters are still very 'brave'
Beijing EV vehicles are everywhere, probably 1/4-1/3 of total. Almost all the Ubers, and even a few trucks are EV.
The taxi drivers are mostly didi apps but will still take cash. And on the subway, i still wear a mask.
Staying at mostly Marriott & Hyatt. Marriott stays in the mainland now, only 5% of rooms are international vs 25% back in 2019.
I mention the above comment, as ALL the hotel ELs there are NO english channels allowed, yet the rooms have anywhere from 1-5 english channels. (yes same cable feeds, so i just ask for CCTV 5 sports !) confirmation of actual western residual treatment. The exception was the new Marriott resort in Beidaihe, i posted comments on the Marriott forum on the Qinhuangdao trip in October.
Some hotels still have the China Daily or Global Newspaper in english, maybe abet of biases, but nice coverage by all media of the California governor Newsome trip to 6 China cities. California needs the good business relations.
Oddball blocks on some phone apps, In the hotels; one always can get ESPN, CNBC, and IG but never FB. And never LI, I asked about LI and was told there are too many job postings in Chinese, (go figure that with IG reel postings, maybe just for the young swiftes)
Ill reserve the prejudicial comments for Omni forums (trains, etc.), Oh, BTW local food dishes are still too hot & spicy.
narvik and Visconti like this.

Last edited by Jiatong; Nov 4, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Old Nov 4, 2023, 9:19 pm

Jiatong ALL of your internet internet issues will become moot if you just get a V that works.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 6:10 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
only 5% of rooms are international vs 25% back in 2019.
What does this mean?

LinkedIn pulled out of China recently on their own volition, not wanting to deal with the regs, nobody banned them...
Old Nov 5, 2023, 4:39 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
5% clarity

What does this mean?
per the china marriott CEO, only 5 % of guest stays are international, meaning 95 % are domestic china guests in 2023. (not foreigners) It was 25 % foreigners back iin 2019.
Palal likes this.

Last edited by Jiatong; Nov 5, 2023 at 8:00 pm Reason: splng
Old Nov 5, 2023, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Jiatong
per the china marriott CEO, only 5 % of guest stary are international, meaning 95 % are domestic china guests in 2023. (not foreigners) It was 25 % foreigners back iin 2019.
What are guest numbers like? Wonder if this is the (intentional) result of not importing any tourism consumption (i.e., discouragement from going abroad).
Old Nov 12, 2023, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Update from the OP: I was in China (Shanghai-Nantong-Shanghai) Sunday - Wednesday last week and found it pretty much the same as it was during my last visit of 4 years ago.

By entering on 11/5 I avoided needing the final QR code that had been required through 10/31 so entry was much as it was before other than MU not passing out entry forms during the flight so everyone scrambled to fill them in on the ground.
Maybe China will implement a "Visit Japan" style app that lets you fill everything out beforehand and just show QR codes.

My usual Holiday Inn Express Jinaqiao Central had a ground floor renovation since I was last there but the rooms looked untouched and I ended up using a multitool to get the window to close better and seal out more noise.
There is a new LaLaport mall in Jinaqiao so if a hotel gets added near it I'll make that area my home base for future visits (the office I work with is in Jinqiao and the colleague I work with the most also lives in Jinqiao).

My Shanghai Metro card worked fine after 4 years of dormancy so I went to Texas Roadhouse at Century Link to get a break from the local food (I'd been in Korea and Japan for 10 days prior to China).
The remaining gasoline powered motor scooters have been replaced by electric ones so now all of the two-wheeled transport is silent and potentially deadly - keep your eyes open.

I tried but failed to set up WeChat Pay but other than one drink from a vending machine that my colleague paid for I got by fine with credit card and a little cash.
I can see where it (or Alipay which I'll take a shot at for the next trip) would be useful for longer visits and essential for those living there.

For anyone who has been holding off on returning to China post-pandemic, my sample of one can say there was no issue in going there.
Visconti and narvik like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 1:47 pm

While certainly one should certainly view these US Gov't advisories on a case by case basis, I'd chalk this one up as similar to the CDC's advisory on the dangers of eating under cooked beef. Some of the stuff coming out from the US Gov't (this coming from an American) is just plain silly and utterly non-sensical. Just some common sense, like don't go vacationing into foreign countries spouting political nonsense. I mean, how hard is it to be an apolitical tourist?
narvik, Jiatong and mlin32 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.