Consolidated "Weather at ORD - Observations & Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue

Hello,

I've booked a break in Chicago for four days, early October. What type of weather should I come prepared for?

Regards
I
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Literally... everything. It could be 80, it could be highs in the 50s lows in the 30s with snow flurries. (In the last ten days, we've gone from 78 to 36.) But most likely a light jacket and a couple of sweaters should be sufficient.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Thanks for that. It sounds just like Wichita (except with better scenery ).

Regards
I
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Actually, having lived in Chicago for many years, I can say October is my favorite month. While what Nick says above CAN be true, it is most likely going to be in the 60s and sunny.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Actually, having lived in Chicago for many years, I can say October is my favorite month. While what Nick says above CAN be true, it is most likely going to be in the 60s and sunny.
Spot on. October is one of my favorite months in Chicago, and when it comes to wx, it's one of the months I tend to recommend visiting
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Well yeah... but that takes all the fun out of scaring the visitors...
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:58 pm
glg

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
(In the last ten days, we've gone from 78 to 36.)
Working from home this past week:

M, T: It's hot, but it's late April, I refuse to turn on the A/C. It's 79 inside. Not turning on A/C!
W: Okay.
Th, F: It's cold, but it's late April, I refuse to turn on the heat. It's 63 inside. Not turning on heat!
S: Is that snow outside? It's 60 inside. FINE, I'll turn the @#*$ heat on.

But back to the OP, October is my favorite month as well. Generally nice, plenty of sunny days. I noticed in your other thread that you're staying at the Drake. I'm guessing you've already booked it. If not, you may want to avoid the weekend of the marathon (10/9 this year), as hotels can get ugly that weekend.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Yup, already booked. Checking in October 5th and checking out October 9th. This certainly explains my problems getting a good rate (I'm paying rather a lot but hope for a reasonable upgrade). OTOH, these dates were the only dates that BMI could give me a business class return (front cabin both ways) for my miles/cash so I'm still getting good value overall.

Regards
I
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:49 pm
glg

Originally Posted by Internaut
Yup, already booked. Checking in October 5th and checking out October 9th. This certainly explains my problems getting a good rate (I'm paying rather a lot but hope for a reasonable upgrade). OTOH, these dates were the only dates that BMI could give me a business class return (front cabin both ways) for my miles/cash so I'm still getting good value overall.
As a warning, be careful, as the marathon itself is October 9th. If the course remains the same as last year (it doesn't tend to substantially change year to year), it'll be running a few blocks west of the hotel and you'll have to cross the course to get back to ORD. If your flight is later in the evening, you'll have no problems, as everything wraps up by 3 or so, but if your flight is earlier afternoon, you might have some snags.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Internaut takes a quick peek at his itinerary and......... no problem, it's at 18:30 in the evening so I get a full day in Chicago (might be a good day to get one of the more popular lunch spots while the marathon is on ).
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, and EVA Gold soon
January weather at ORD

Am thinking of an international trip routing through ORD in mid-late January.

Can any fellow FTers tell me what to expect as far as weather related delays and cancellations are concerned?

Should I try to avoid ORD all together?

Perhaps a web site that has that information.

Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Varies from 60 degrees and sunny to 25 below zero and 2 feet of snow. Take your pick.

But like most cold weather airports, they are prepared, and never really shut down, though some delays are possible. Don't base your trip on it.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I believe it's actually harder to fly in the spring/summer at ORD due to Thunderstorms in Chicago and other major hubs. Flying to New York has been a real adventure this summer.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:14 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since this is not United-specific, I am moving to the CHI forum. Thanks.

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-dinary Traveler
I believe it's actually harder to fly in the spring/summer at ORD due to Thunderstorms in Chicago and other major hubs. Flying to New York has been a real adventure this summer.
ditto. IME O'Hare is worse in summer than winter.
but (being on the west coast like the OP) I try to do all my overseas trips out of LAX because of the lack of weather delays. Second choice is SFO.

Last edited by BillKach; Jul 9, 2005 at 1:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.