Search

Tribune today ORD vs. SIN

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Tribune today ORD vs. SIN

Front page article about how ORD is falling behind. Given. But it shows ORD with somewhat more traffic than SIN but with 8 runways vs. 2. Why does ORD need 4 times the runways? This has always confused me.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:21 pm
glg

The article compares passenger numbers, not number of aircraft movements, which is where runways come into play. SIN is close to ORD in passengers (ORD - 70m, SIN - 54m), but nowhere near it in aircraft movements (ORD - 881k, SIN - 341k).

In plain English, it's because the average plane at ORD is an RJ (okay, it's a 737/319/320/MD80), where at SIN it's a jumbo.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Saw this a few days ago.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/g...ry.html#page=1

Interesting comparison, but these airports do have different focuses, as glg points out. That having been said, SFO is a much nicer airport, too. ORD is somewhat limited b/c its old. Smaller gate waiting areas, narrower terminals, etc. The real estate just isn't there to do anything as grandiose as SIN or even as comfortable as SFO, in my uneducated opinion.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:03 am

It's also comparing apples to oranges in general. You have a city/nation state focusing billions to develop it's single major airport as a major international connecting point that for the most part doesn't require clearing immigration/customs when transiting. Everything is built around that.

Here you have ORD being funded by the airlines that use the airport and limited federal funding from an agency that needs to work with thousands of airports throughout the U.S and uses it's facilities to move people domestically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.