Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESTA Travelers now using APC kiosks at ORD

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

ESTA Travelers now using APC kiosks at ORD

I figured this would deserve it own thread.

This officially started on 02MAY without fanfare. Yes, there's some kinks still being worked out (basically languages being added) but overall so far so good.

There's additional staff being placed to help look over passports to make sure people are put into the proper lines. Yes, there has been and probably will be some mistakes, but this is a big step forward in quicker processing times before high travel season kicks in.
Old May 6, 2014, 2:44 pm

Good news! Have they also increased the number of kiosks?

I'll be travelling through ORD in June with my family who are US Citizens (I'm a UK Citizen). Can we all use the same kiosk?
Old May 10, 2014, 4:52 am
Original Poster

No additional kiosks, there's still only 32.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
^ This is excellent news. I avoided arriving internationally at ORD on my last trip as I was potentially arriving at a peak time. This would definitely make me reconsider that for next time.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
^ This is excellent news. I avoided arriving internationally at ORD on my last trip as I was potentially arriving at a peak time. This would definitely make me reconsider that for next time.
Hope you do!

Additionally, there's a meeting this week to see what's going to be done with the additional 32 kiosks.
Old May 16, 2014, 2:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Came into ORD yesterday and it was the first time I as a US citizen had to wait for an APC kiosk to be available there. It was only a wait of a handful of minutes and given my declaration for the travel party, got an X. Had no wait for CBP officer -- got a very friendly gentleman -- and spent more time waiting for bags to get on the baggage claim than anything else.

The flight crew was handing out CBP declaration forms, but, as usual for ORD arrivals, I no longer fill them out when I'm using the APC kiosks and have to declare foodstuff I want vetted.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 12:58 pm

So my experience coming through ORD on Friday was that passengers were being separated into two lines - those who require a visa or first time ESTA users; and US/Canadian citizens or repeat ESTA. As a family of 6 (5 US citizens, one ESTA we took the second route). Most people in this line were directed to the APC kiosks but we (because we had kids?) were pulled out of the line and sent straight to one of the lines that form in front of each booth. Fortunately I had filled out a Customs form already so used that (rather than APC).

Although it was very busy (2pm on a Friday) everything seemed to move pretty quickly.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

A small update; Plans are in place to add another 32 kiosks with bio-metrics over the summer.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
This looks like brilliant news. I have spent up to 2 hours queuing for immigration here. Simply splitting ESTAs from visas would have helped, but this looks even better.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, EB
I used the kiosks as a repeat ESTA user a couple of weeks ago, around 4pm. It was very smooth, just waited for a kiosk a a few minutes and answered the questions. Took the receipt to an officer and answered his questions. Was in baggage claim just as my suitcase was coming on the belt. I was on my way to my connecting flight in about 20 minutes. Very nice compared to the previous, almost 90min.

Thank you, CBP!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
So what's the deal with visa holders. Are LPRs (or any non-citizen entering not on ESTA) forced to wait in the visitor line?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
So what's the deal with visa holders. Are LPRs (or any non-citizen entering not on ESTA) forced to wait in the visitor line?
Forced? no one is forced.....The APC machines were designed to help process arriving passengers faster and shift resources around.

We're starting to see more complaints about luggage delivery times than arriving passengers waiting in line to clear immigration.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by ords
Forced? no one is forced.....The APC machines were designed to help process arriving passengers faster and shift resources around.

We're starting to see more complaints about luggage delivery times than arriving passengers waiting in line to clear immigration.
Forced in the sense that I can see it beeing rather frustrating being a permanent resident and seeing people visiting be invited through the fast procedure while not being allowed through there yourself. This is effectively prioritizing certain visitors over permanent residents.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AReims
I used the kiosks as a repeat ESTA user a couple of weeks ago, around 4pm. It was very smooth, just waited for a kiosk a a few minutes and answered the questions. Took the receipt to an officer and answered his questions. Was in baggage claim just as my suitcase was coming on the belt. I was on my way to my connecting flight in about 20 minutes. Very nice compared to the previous, almost 90min.

Thank you, CBP!
You should really thank the airlines and/or airport authority because they pay for it more directly. CBP is not the party paying for these APC kiosks.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
An update on this. It appears LPR's will be able to use the kiosks around mid-September if everything works according to plan. (at least at ORD)

Another 18 APC kiosks will be installed Oct-Dec '14 and then another 18 installed Jan-Mar '15 in addition to what is currently in place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.