Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels
So, anyone who was gonna hijack the plane, just walked away when they heard the announcements.

Now THAT'S security!

No, that's TSA Security!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by davetravels
I sure hope they searched and swabbed under every single baby stroller!

AND . . . . inside every diaper bag!!!
And inside every diaper! You can't be too safe!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ztonyg
How is it a TSA FAIL if terrorists don't board the aircraft due to seeing people ahead of them getting additional screening?
Because the terrorist just walks to customer service and reschedules for another flight where there isn't gate screening. So, your tax dollars get spent, a number of customers are inconvenienced, yet nothing is accomplished.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLERT
We are getting close to an election - maybe some notable with a mouth for bringing out the best in civil decorum is on a hit target list. Nothing to worry about here folks - these are not the droids you were looking for but Mr. Phelps has a mission for the keystone (mall) cops in collusion with the SS (Secret Service) to pacify this so called non-event and render it mute !
We're also pretty close to the 15th anniversary of 9/11. The theater (complete with TSA honor guards) will be completely unbearable for anyone flying on Sunday.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
What could they possibly do to me for asking a question?
Anything they want:
  • give you retaliatory screening until you flight departs
  • say that you need additional screening and walk you back to the "private room"
  • claim you threatened them and issue a civil penalty.
Sadly, there is no external constraint on bad screener behavior.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
We're also pretty close to the 15th anniversary of 9/11. The theater (complete with TSA honor guards) will be completely unbearable for anyone flying on Sunday.
At the UA gate in MNL last month they had a couple foot fetishists actually reach inside my shoes. They must really love their work!

Earlier, just ahead of the check-in counter, the rented security people were dutifully thumbing through everyone's passport. My passport is chipped, and only the Philippines has bothered to stamp it. So I guess they learned that I really had been where I was. Imagine that!

Sunday 9/11 I am flying LAX-PEK-MNL-CEB, should be loads of fun ....
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If it was random, it'd happen more frequently then it does. As few times as it happens I have a hard time seeing it being random. Most airports haven't having a gate screening in years seems to support its only based on need.
Originally Posted by DLERT
We are getting close to an election - maybe some notable with a mouth for
bringing out the best in civil decorum is on a hit target list.
Nothing to worry about here folks - these are not the droids you were looking
for but Mr. Phelps has a mission for the keystone (mall) cops in collusion with
the SS (Secret Service) to pacify this so called non-event and render it mute !
Not just election time - we're coming up on the 15th anniversary of 9/11, and for some reason the majority of this country seems to be convinced that "The Terrorists" regard the date as a Prime Target (tm) for attacks.

Originally Posted by lseflyer
If a would be hijacker didn't board the plane, I'd call that a success.
How is it a TSA FAIL if terrorists don't board the aircraft due to seeing people ahead of them getting additional screening?

I'd actually see that in this scenario it's actually a TSA WIN.
Not so much. As someone else posted, it's easy enough for a genuine bad actor to avoid the gate search and board another flight, either by rescheduling or by stowing away. It's apparently easy enough to stow away on a flight that an elderly woman has been able to do it repeatedly over the last few years (search for Marilyn Hartman for details).

When a ticket is purchased, the name is run through the Secureflight database:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Flight

The TSA checks the IDs to make sure that the passengers that show up to board the plane are the same people who already went through the Secureflight database.
That is the stated reason for the ID and BP check at the checkpoint, however:

1) An ID check at the gate which doesn't compare the ID against the BP doesn't do a darn thing
2) It's easy enough to obtain ID in a fictitious name that even high school kids can do it to buy booze, and many illegal aliens do it as well, so even the ID/BP check at the gate doesn't really do anything, if a bad actor obtains an ID in a clean name and then books the flight in that same fictitious name.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Gate checks at CLE last Sunday.

There were 5 of them and they were at the gate way before the plane even landed.

One of them made everyone show their boarding pass and ID, and another one performed "random bag checks"
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a demonstration that TSA is so bad at security screening that they have to do it twice.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Bad case of 'Red Team' jitters.

Instead of leaving pax standing in long lines while TSOs try to catch what they might have missed at the gate, why not ask TSOs to put their cellphones away and immediately stop all non-mission related personal conversations at the checkpoint.

They'd probably see an immediate improvement in Red Team scores.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Badenoch
JNB-JFK always has a rigourous gate check. The last time I went through a young American woman was furious and made a scene when her bottles of water were denied. I resisted the temptation to explain that it was HER government that was responsible not the nice but resolute South African woman she was screaming at.
The US has no such rule. Some countries have chosen to make it the rule for flights to US. However its only certain countries that do this for flights to US. I've gone through numerous S. America/E. European and Asian airports and the majority have no such screening. Just the normal security screening.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The US has no such rule. Some countries have chosen to make it the rule for flights to US. However its only certain countries that do this for flights to US. I've gone through numerous S. America/E. European and Asian airports and the majority have no such screening. Just the normal security screening.
Just your luck you would challenge a post I made months ago on the same day I was going through the very airport in question?

I hastily took these pictures with my smart phone on November 1, 2016, at Oliver Tambo Aiport outside the departure gate for SA203 JNB-JFK.

Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Too many people are unaware that the USG -- DHS/TSA at that too -- meddles abroad in telling governments/airports/airlines abroad what they must do if they want to keep flying to the US in the way they do. The US makes up these rules indeed for US-bound flights.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I've flown DL on the ATL-JNB flight and not had problems. If this is a US rule it's selectively decided on when/whom to enforce it. Also there's plenty of times airlines claim it's a government rule, when it's not.

Case in point. PVG-LAX. Water check when flying DL, but not MU. JNB-US water check flying SA but not DL.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I've flown DL on the ATL-JNB flight and not had problems. If this is a US rule it's selectively decided on when/whom to enforce it. Also there's plenty of times airlines claim it's a government rule, when it's not.

Case in point. PVG-LAX. Water check when flying DL, but not MU. JNB-US water check flying SA but not DL.
Destination city also matters. SA203 is JNB-JFK and New York has a greater perceived terrorist threat than Atlanta.

Also Delta is not SAA. SAA aircrews are not permitted to be armed, they don't have an Air Marshal service and their aircraft do not IIRC have hardened cockpits.

It is however ridiculous to suggest that SAA is lying when they post signs explaining that the secondary searches are "by order of the U.S. Department of Homeland Transportation Security Administration."

Last edited by Badenoch; Nov 6, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.