Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

DL JFK Pax Forced To Drink Own Breast Milk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2002, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI

A Seattle radio talk show host is relating this story and I wondered if anyone in the NY area can confirm:

A Florida-bound Delta passenger was apparently passing through security at JFK with her four-month-old daughter. A hand search of the baby's diaper bag uncovered three baby bottles of breast milk which the woman had expressed in advance to keep the baby fed during the journey. The security personnel made the woman drink all three bottles dry -- or else she couldn't fly. Their excuse was that the bottles could contain explosive substances.

She offered to just taste the milk. No.

She asked if she could have her baby drink the milk. No.

She asked if she could throw them away. No.

The woman was a white middle-aged person with a verifiable home address in the New York area. She apparently finally complied -- this is all going on in the public screening area, mind you -- and drank them all completely.

But she made some telephone calls afterwards... and now a major New York attorney is offering his services with relation to a civil rights lawsuit.

If true, this is absolutely psychotic. Someone is going to snap one day soon over coercive, pointless sadism like this.
Old Aug 6, 2002, 1:37 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Sounds to me like a typical talk show exaggeration.... but power-to-the-brain security types have been known to require weird things. Interesting question... who is more evil: power-to-the-brain talk show exaggerators or security check-point goons?

BTW, the USA Toady reports that the TSA just forbade requiring tasting of liquids, while allowing (only -- but allowing!) liquids in securable containers through the checkpoint, so long as they go through the x-ray machine. Another small step forward, I would say.

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.
Delta Flyers' Guide
Old Aug 6, 2002, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
IMHO, the lady should've squirted the screeners...
Old Aug 6, 2002, 2:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BearX220:
</font>

It was almost believeable until this. Most of the new restrictions have to do with not being able to brings items past security (scissors, knives, etc.), ie. you can have (I believe) a knife in the public portion of the airport, you just can't bring it past security. If you dispose of it (as happened with pliers, tweezers, nail files, etc. after 9/11), you are allowed to proceed.

There are probably some things that if you are caught with (drugs, guns, etc), you'd get arrested/detained. However for unauthorized liquids I'd think if you get rid of it before you try to go through security you are okay.

Jeff
Old Aug 6, 2002, 2:42 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BearX220:
A Seattle radio talk show host is relating this story and I wondered if anyone in the NY area can confirm:

A Florida-bound Delta passenger was apparently passing through security at JFK with her four-month-old daughter. A hand search of the baby's diaper bag uncovered three baby bottles of breast milk which the woman had expressed in advance to keep the baby fed during the journey. The security personnel made the woman drink all three bottles dry -- or else she couldn't fly. Their excuse was that the bottles could contain explosive substances.

She offered to just taste the milk. No.

She asked if she could have her baby drink the milk. No.

The woman was a white middle-aged person with a verifiable home address in the New York area. She apparently finally complied -- this is all going on in the public screening area, mind you -- and drank them all completely.

But she made some telephone calls afterwards... and now a major New York attorney is offering his services with relation to a civil rights lawsuit.

If true, this is absolutely psychotic. Someone is going to snap one day soon over coercive, pointless sadism like this.
</font>
You sure you weren't listening to Phil Hendrie??

[This message has been edited by kanebear (edited 08-06-2002).]
Old Aug 6, 2002, 8:36 pm

Sounds like a classic urban legend.
Old Aug 6, 2002, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by warmsnickers:
Sounds like a classic urban legend. </font>
They interviewed he this evening on Atalanta talk show.

What is said above was repeated in interview.
Old Aug 6, 2002, 9:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Kanebear: excellent deduction! It sounds like one of Phil's schemes exactly. Maybe we need to email him this thread for future material.

I am listening to today's Hendrie show right now. I think he is the king of comedy on AM radio!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kanebear:
You sure you weren't listening to Phil Hendrie??

[This message has been edited by kanebear (edited 08-06-2002).]
</font>
Old Aug 6, 2002, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
No, it wasn't Hendrie, it was a local/regional guy on KIRO named Mike Siegel. And he sounded like he was on the level. So did the people who phoned in identifying themselves as security screeners out at Sea-Tac who called the alleged drink-it-all-yourself incident outrageous and shocking...
Old Aug 7, 2002, 3:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
This story is bull****. I believe it as much as I believe in the validity of Infinite Airways SkyPoints.
Old Aug 7, 2002, 3:26 pm

She was on Sean Hannity yesterday. They made her drink part of each bottle, not all, but apparently that contaminated the milk and she was unable to use it. Her reason for having the milk in bottles was that she does not nurse in public. She was upset because she was forced to nurse on the plane. She did not ask for a supervisor or a TSA official or take the names of those involved or anyone who witnessed the incident.
Old Aug 7, 2002, 4:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flowerchild:
...They made her drink part of each bottle, not all, but apparently that contaminated the milk and she was unable to use it...</font>
That makes far more sense. Something about this story still makes me think it has been exaggerated.

We are all responsible for the choices we make. When confronted with overzealous security, one should remain polite yet firm. Assert your right to speak to a supervisor and clearly make your case known. If all else fails, retreat from the checkpoint and call 1-866-289-9673 immediately.
Old Aug 7, 2002, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Today on either Neil Boortz or Rush, host said that major NYC lawyer taking up her case...
Old Aug 7, 2002, 4:24 pm
Original Member

http://www.hannity.com/forum/index.c...orum=4&id=3920

http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecov...2002/8/6/92628
Old Aug 7, 2002, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
so who does this woman sue? the airline or the federal government who hires the "security?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.