Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Write to your Senators and Congressman

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2003, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Write to your Senators and Congressman

I know I'm fairly new here, but I've seen many excellent points made about deficiencies and suggested improvements to the current screening process.
I sincerely hope many of you will take the time to write to the only people that can make the changes you want happen.
There are many things about the screening process I don't agree with and wish could change. But of course, in the mean time, I will continue to do my job as it's required.

I seriously think the "random" hand wandings and physical searches could be made to go away. I think there are better ways of achieving the goal they are trying to reach.

Personally, I appreciate the frequent flier crowd, that is what makes up the bread and butter of the airline passengers. But please don't take your frustrations at the screening process out on the poor screener trying to do his or her job.

Frequent Fliers, Flight Crew (yes they get the SAME screening, heaven forbid an airline pilot should have a pocket knife or screwdriver)) and the TSA personnel themselves all have to go through the same rigamarole as you do.

But, also, don't put up with the people on power trips either. Just immediately ask to see a supervisor, and if you don't get satisfaction there, ask for the screening manager.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JustanotherScreener:

But, also, don't put up with the people on power trips either. Just immediately ask to see a supervisor, and if you don't get satisfaction there, ask for the screening manager.
</font>
That would be great, but every time I am at an airport, I have somewhere else I need to be. I don't schedule extra time to complain to a supervisor. Also, I fear detention IDB for exercising my rights, as per punki's experience at PDX (documented in the WSJ).

All things considered, it is easier to moan on this board and shut up and take it at the airport.

Also, you are right about not blaming the front line workers - that really doesn't help and is unfair. Almost every screwed up event in history was executed by poor saps just doing their jobs. Obviously, N.M. and T.D. are the real persons to blame for the system.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Why should you write to your elected leaders. They are the dumb fools that enacted the laws that are more hassle than anything.

Isn't it amazing that now that the hand wanding goes away and all those people are now downstairs going through your luggage.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 5:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mkcubs:
Why should you write to your elected leaders. They are the dumb fools that enacted the laws that are more hassle than anything.

</font>
Because they are elected ? Would you write to Saddam if you were Iraqi and criticise his security arrangements ? At least in a Democracy if enough people don't approve of something it'll eventually get changed.

Nigel

[This message has been edited by beergut (edited 01-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by beergut (edited 01-27-2003).]
Old Jan 27, 2003, 5:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
I would write, but none of my elected representatives know how to read.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 7:25 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CameraGuy:
I would write, but none of my elected representatives know how to read.</font>

LOL!!
Old Jan 28, 2003, 2:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CameraGuy:
I would write, but none of my elected representatives know how to read.</font>
ROFL, I think mine had help as well.

Nigel

Old Jan 29, 2003, 7:14 am

Here are some random thoughts regarding statements made on this string. First, when I was a business owner, and an employee wished to complain about a situation, the complaint was not taken seriously unless they also provided suggestions to remedy the problem. I wish to know 1) what are the goals?, and 2) what are the better ways to achieve the goals? Second, since travel is an adventure, I always schedule time for the unpredictable. I am fortunate enough to not apply a schedule that does not afford me the opportunity to make an unscheduled visit to the rest room. In other words if I had a situation that truly needed to be addressed with a supervisor, the time would be found to do it. Remember, the contract on the back side of your airline ticket says "2 hours prior". Thirdly, I find it amazing that the elected leaders, i.e., dumb fools that cannot read are largely responsible for making and keeping this the best country in the world to live.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 9:16 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I believe the '2 hours prior' is a suggestion and not an actual requirement of the COC.

I travel a lot for business. I do not have 2 hours to waste in each direction for any kind of random harassment nonsense that adds nothing to security. Maybe you only go to Dizzyland with the kids once a year and have this kind of time to waste. Many of us do not and have chosen to stop flying, in light of this buffonery.

If you'd like hundreds of concrete suggestions on how to improve security while eliminating the worthless charade of 'security' that is currently plaguing our nation's airports, I suggest you acquaint yourself with the fine search feature of this bulletin board.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by screenerandproudofit:
Here are some random thoughts regarding statements made on this string. First, when I was a business owner, and an employee wished to complain about a situation, the complaint was not taken seriously unless they also provided suggestions to remedy the problem. I wish to know 1) what are the goals?, and 2) what are the better ways to achieve the goals? Second, since travel is an adventure, I always schedule time for the unpredictable. I am fortunate enough to not apply a schedule that does not afford me the opportunity to make an unscheduled visit to the rest room. In other words if I had a situation that truly needed to be addressed with a supervisor, the time would be found to do it. Remember, the contract on the back side of your airline ticket says "2 hours prior". Thirdly, I find it amazing that the elected leaders, i.e., dumb fools that cannot read are largely responsible for making and keeping this the best country in the world to live. </font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.