Wiki Posts
Search

Testing a joke with screeners

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2003, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Testing a joke with screeners

Article in the Chicago Tribune today from their sister publication in New York - Newsday which talks about supervisors giving away the answers to the testing on the new bomb detection units for those well trained TSA employees. Four different test takers decided to tell a newspaper reporter of their story.

You can find the article online at www.chicagotribune.com and probably on the Newsday site.

As I traveler that jumps through all the new hoops I'm glad to see that we have once again fooled the public into thinking they are safe due to the increased cost and hassle that we go through when you enter the airport.

As long as screeners make more money than pilots it just goes to show that you don't have to work hard in life to get a high paying job.

Thank you to all the congresspeople that passed these silly laws and rules thinking that they are saving America. Thank you to the procters of the tests who think they are doing somebody a favor.

Here is hoping you don't get caught in a terminal when a screener is sleeping on the job.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 12:19 pm

I asked a couple of my TSA friends about this and they said that sure, there was a review of key points but it was not a givewaway. I think it may be overblown. They said the training was pretty thorough and besides a written test, there was a practical test where they had to demonstrate doing the testing, maintaining the machines and searching. I'm not defending anyone, just offering some alternative views.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 4:34 pm

Just so we're clear on these "overpaid" screeners who make more money than pilots....

The starting wage for a screener is $23,600
The top out of a screeners pay level is $35,400

Not exactly more than an average airline pilot.

[This message has been edited by JustanotherScreener (edited 01-27-2003).]
Old Jan 27, 2003, 5:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JustanotherScreener:
Not exactly more than an average airline pilot.

[This message has been edited by JustanotherScreener (edited 01-27-2003).]
</font>
Depends..here is some interesting info on pilot salaries..

During the past year, entry-level pay for first and second officers at the major airlines rose 1.4% from an average of $32,269 a year ago to $32,724 this year. FedEx continues to offer the highest entry-level pay, while Delta pays the highest maximum level pay for pilots. Quoted from http://www.aviationnow.com/content/c...l/car2001d.htm

Also this one..You would think that finally it is time to reap the rewards of those years of hard work. Well, the reward is probably not going to be exactly what you had in mind. Instead of that nice six-figure salary from that major airline, you will more likely be making around $20,000-$28,000. Ten more years of flying duty will pass before that six-figure paycheck finds it way into your pocket. Quoted from http://cf.alpa.org/internet/feature/worth.htm

IMHO, there is something wrong with our system when airport screeners make more money then entry level pilot, and to know that my tax dollars are being used to subsidize this ill thought out program makes sad.

rawbert

Old Jan 27, 2003, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JustanotherScreener:
Just so we're clear on these "overpaid" screeners who make more money than pilots....

The starting wage for a screener is $23,600
The top out of a screeners pay level is $35,400
</font>
According to TSAscreener, the salary can be quite a bit higher:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The truth is: I spoke to a representative from the TSA. She stated that several people have already been notified or have already received a pay increase of $4000, and that several more will be notified in "a reasonable amount of time."

Updated 11/24/02: This is the official criteria for receiving a renegociated pay increase:

1) at least one year of prior screeneing experience prior to employment with TSA;
2) received a written offer of employment prior to April 26, 2002;
3) received a base salary of $36,400;
4) provided sufficient information.

However! I have received letters from others who DID NOT meet the 4 criteria but DID RECEIVE the pay increase.

And I have recieved information from others who DID meet the criteria and have been told "NO pay increase!" </font>

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 01-27-2003).]
Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:03 pm

Tazi:

This applies only to the original MSF (Mobile Screening Force) who were sent out to help federalize the various airports. They were hired as supervisors and received a wage that is less than what supervisors are now being hired at (approx. $40,000). This is merely to adjust their rate so they are on the same scale. This does not, in any way, apply to the basic screener. Please do not take everything you see on tsascreener.com as fact.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mkcubs:
Article in the Chicago Tribune today from their sister publication in New York - Newsday which talks about supervisors giving away the answers to the testing on the new bomb detection units for those well trained TSA employees. Four different test takers decided to tell a newspaper reporter of their story.

You can find the article online at www.chicagotribune.com and probably on the Newsday site.

As I traveler that jumps through all the new hoops I'm glad to see that we have once again fooled the public into thinking they are safe due to the increased cost and hassle that we go through when you enter the airport.

As long as screeners make more money than pilots it just goes to show that you don't have to work hard in life to get a high paying job.

Thank you to all the congresspeople that passed these silly laws and rules thinking that they are saving America. Thank you to the procters of the tests who think they are doing somebody a favor.

Here is hoping you don't get caught in a terminal when a screener is sleeping on the job.
</font>

There is no way to give away answers. It is a practical test. Either you know how to apply what you've learned, or you don't.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 4:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rawbert:
big snipideedoodah..

IMHO, there is something wrong with our system when airport screeners make more money then entry level pilot, and to know that my tax dollars are being used to subsidize this ill thought out program makes sad.

rawbert

</font>
Why? What's so special about pilots? Most get their training thanks to your tax dollars and all it takes is some eye-hand coordination and some decision making skills that most people have. It's not like 1930 when there was a daily risk, the system is almost risk free now. It's like they are air-bus drivers now. They've managed to build up a mystique and many of them believe they are some sort of god, not so. (I am a licensed pilot, so am aware of just how complex it is..or is not.)
As for the tax dollars part, yup, it is still evolving and has suffered from some poor implementation.

[This message has been edited by porkyboy (edited 01-28-2003).]
Old Jan 28, 2003, 5:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by porkyboy:
Why? What's so special about pilots? Most get their training thanks to your tax dollars and all it takes is some eye-hand coordination and some decision making skills that most people have. It's not like 1930 when there was a daily risk, the system is almost risk free now. It's like they are air-bus drivers now. They've managed to build up a mystique and many of them believe they are some sort of god, not so. (I am a licensed pilot, so am aware of just how complex it is..or is not.)
As for the tax dollars part, yup, it is still evolving and has suffered from some poor implementation.
</font>
I would say that flying a ommercial aircraft takes far more skill and training, and responsibility than coming to work and standing around with a metal detecting wand, Yes, entry-level pilots should make more money. btw, do you have a commercial pilots license?

Old Jan 28, 2003, 7:45 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tmspa:
Tazi:

This applies only to the original MSF (Mobile Screening Force) who were sent out to help federalize the various airports. They were hired as supervisors and received a wage that is less than what supervisors are now being hired at (approx. $40,000). This is merely to adjust their rate so they are on the same scale. This does not, in any way, apply to the basic screener. Please do not take everything you see on tsascreener.com as fact.
</font>
Thanks for the clarification tmspa

Old Jan 28, 2003, 8:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
According to TSAscreener, the salary can be quite a bit higher:</font>
Hi Tazi,

Unfortunately quoting TSAscreener.com is about as effective as quoting any other forum as a factual source, it depends on the poster.

TSA adopted the FAA's "core compensation" plan as it's pay scale. Screeners are paid as plan level D employees.
The 2002/2003 pay range for level D employees is what I posted. Leads and Supervisors are paid at a higher pay band.

Old Jan 28, 2003, 8:20 am

Hey, are there any other TSA screener type forums around??? That one got boring fast. We're much more entertaining here at FT
Old Jan 28, 2003, 9:45 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
Hey, are there any other TSA screener type forums around??? That one got boring fast. We're much more entertaining here at FT </font>
why do you think I hang out here?

Old Jan 28, 2003, 11:45 am

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by porkyboy:
Why? What's so special about pilots? Most get their training thanks to your tax dollars and all it takes is some eye-hand coordination and some decision making skills that most people have. It's not like 1930 when there was a daily risk, the system is almost risk free now. It's like they are air-bus drivers now. They've managed to build up a mystique and many of them believe they are some sort of god, not so. (I am a licensed pilot, so am aware of just how complex it is..or is not.)</font>
So, when did you get your ATP certificate? Are you multiengine-rated? High-performance rated? Are you IFR-rated? How much time have you had under the hood? How much time have you logged in the heavies?

Oh, and how much of the training is paid for by tax dollars?
Old Jan 28, 2003, 3:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rawbert:
Depends..here is some interesting info on pilot salaries..

During the past year, entry-level pay for first and second officers at the major airlines rose 1.4% from an average of $32,269 a year ago to $32,724 this year. FedEx continues to offer the highest entry-level pay, while Delta pays the highest maximum level pay for pilots. Quoted from http://www.aviationnow.com/content/c...l/car2001d.htm

Also this one..You would think that finally it is time to reap the rewards of those years of hard work. Well, the reward is probably not going to be exactly what you had in mind. Instead of that nice six-figure salary from that major airline, you will more likely be making around $20,000-$28,000. Ten more years of flying duty will pass before that six-figure paycheck finds it way into your pocket. Quoted from http://cf.alpa.org/internet/feature/worth.htm

rawbert

</font>
With my A&P license I would still make more than the average pilot and more than I am making with TSA but which is more stable? I cannot rely on a heavily unionized airline industry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.