Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Screener Comes to Work with Loaded Gun

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus

USA Today Article

Why did the NW pilot get arrested and this guy gets sent home? They both had a firearm at the same point in the airport.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GoingAway:

Why did the NW pilot get arrested and this guy gets sent home? They both had a firearm at the same point in the airport.
</font>
Evidently, the laws we are all subjected to at the airport, don't apply to TSA screeners. What a crock!

The worker was placed on paid leave pending an investigation by the TSA and state police. He was not arrested. He either will face termination or a lengthy suspension, Naccara said.

He might not even be fired! This idiot brings a gun to work and gets put on paid leave and still might have his job after the investigation

Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
I believe we have a new forum for security bellyaching. Perhaps this can be better handled there?
Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:25 pm

This guy should be at the very least, suspended without pay until they can find out exactly what is going on.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
I believe we have a new forum for security bellyaching. Perhaps this can be better handled there? </font>
I am not aware of a different forum, but since this was an article in a NEWSpaper, I figured this was the appropriate place for it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mdtony:
This guy should be at the very least, suspended without pay until they can find out exactly what is going on.</font>
I'm not sure there is all that much to figure out - loaded gun in an area where guns are not allowed -- It seems pretty simple to me.

The fact that (a) he was not arrested and that the arrest did not seem to be considered and (b) that he's on "paid" leave clearly indicates TSA with the agreement of local police has placed themselves separate from anyone else -- pilot, passenger or airport worker.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
posted by flyertalk (01-23-2003 through 01-31-2003)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on welcome suggestions from a broad number of members of FlyerTalk, a new forum has been introduced in the FlyerTalk Travel board. The Travel Safety/Security forum will focus on: Safety and security measures put in place after the events of 9/11 have had a tremendous impact on the way we all travel. Here you can share strategies on how best to make all of your travels safe and convenient. In addition you may exchange opinions on the "Freedom of Movement" initiatives introduced by the TSA in the U.S. as well as other safety and security initiatives around the globe. Please keep in mind the sensitive and safety interest of any of your posts in this forum as well as respect the opinions of other members.
As time allows we will move associated active threads of the same topic to this new forum.

Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

All you can do is laugh.

I note that the TSA "says" no other incidents have been reported like this. I would bet my "Trusted Traveler" pass that many of the TSA types go to work and do not pass through the scan and instead just go to work. Does not bother me though since we all know that regular passengers can get guns through the system.

What a crock!

Old Jan 23, 2003, 1:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GoingAway:
I am not aware of a different forum, but since this was an article in a NEWSpaper, I figured this was the appropriate place for it.
</font>
There is now another forum for discussion of safety/security realted issues that may not necessarily come from a news source.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 2:01 pm

It is not uncommon for people to forget about a weapon. They handle large sums of cash,diamonds,gold. It becomes a part of them like a wallet or car keys. Why the pilot was arrested and the screener was not was up to the LEOs. I can tell you that the screener will be terminated though. Remember that the TSA does not arrest people.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 3:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
Why the pilot was arrested and the screener was not was up to the LEOs. I can </font>
I figure the fact that he was a Pilot on his way to work helped with the harsher treatment.A bigger threat at the time maybe ?

Nigel

Old Jan 23, 2003, 3:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
It is not uncommon for people to forget about a weapon. They handle large sums of cash,diamonds,gold. It becomes a part of them like a wallet or car keys. Why the pilot was arrested and the screener was not was up to the LEOs. I can tell you that the screener will be terminated though. Remember that the TSA does not arrest people. </font>
According to the information at the TSA website on prohibited items, it makes no difference if you brought it with you accidently. I would hope that a screener would be especially aware of this. The information also states that the determination of arrest can be made by a screener.
http://www.tsa.dot.gov/public/display?theme=12
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If you bring a prohibited item to the checkpoint, you may be criminally and/or civilly prosecuted or, at the least, asked to rid yourself of the item. A screener and/or Law Enforcement Officer will make this determination, depending on what the item is and the circumstances. This is because bringing a prohibited item to a security checkpoint-even accidentally-is illegal.</font>

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 01-23-2003).]
Old Jan 23, 2003, 4:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:

</font>
Just goes to show you that the people who wrote that screeners have those powers actually do not know what a screener does. It is a supervisers responsibility to determine if a LEO needs to be involved as per the SOP. Those website writers can be so jacked up. Oops, did I think that out loud?

Old Jan 23, 2003, 4:54 pm

Just goes to show you that the people who wrote that screeners have those powers actually do not know what a screener does. It is a supervisers responsibility to determine if a LEO needs to be involved as per the SOP. Those website writers can be so jacked up. Oops, did I think that out loud?

</font>
You have stated several times that LEO's make these decisions without the TSA having anything to do with it. Here you seem to say differently but also are criticizing the website writers. You surely don't think they would add information to an official website without prior authorization do you? I'm really not sure what you mean.

Old Jan 23, 2003, 6:08 pm

I can tell you that the screener will be terminated though.</font>
Good. He should be.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 8:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mdtony:
Good. He should be.</font>
At the very least. Many of us here may disagree on many things but trying to carry a gun through a security checkpoint should result in the same consequences regardless of who the offender is.

The pilot who was arrested and charged with 3 felonies was carrying his gun in his carry-on. The screener had his in his pocket. I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe someone in that position could be so absent minded, that they would not realize they had a gun in their pocket. This is not the person I want in charge of my safety.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.