Wiki Posts
Search

DEA and airport courier seizures

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United
DEA and airport courier seizures

I thought this article would be of interest regarding the DEA and seizing money from suspected drug money couriers.

http://tucson.com/news/state-and-reg...284c029c1.html
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:36 am

That's just sinful.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:41 am

Cash grab
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a story about a guy "getting his money back" as long as he doesn't mind not being able to sue to get $10K in attorney fees paid by the government.

Wow -- this stuff is nothing sort of draconian.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:06 pm

There was a story a few years back at Detroit's airport where DEA took cash and a $50-K Rolex from a well-known poker player coming back from a tournament. No warrant or anything. What's the point of having a 4th amendment if rogue gov't agencies get to bypass it?
Didn't Henry Hyde change the law around 1999 such that the Feds had the
burden of proof in these forfeitures?

Last edited by yandosan; Oct 13, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by yandosan
There was a story a few years back at Detroit's airport where DEA took cash and a $50-K Rolex from a well-known poker player coming back from a tournament. No warrant or anything. What's the point of having a 4th amendment if rogue gov't agencies get to bypass it?
Didn't Henry Hyde change the law around 1999 such that the Feds had the
burden of proof in these forfeitures?
And Obama also tightened the rules as to how and under what circumstances they could grab the money. Sessions, rescinded those policies so they are back in cash grab mode.

Heck, I've had an inbound wire transfer seized by Treasury, it took just over 3 years to get that fixed, and I had taken the initiative to go to the 1st circuit, which agreed with my claim. However, Treasury insisted that was the incorrect venue, and that I needed to go into the Court of Federal Claims, even though the action happened at a bank based in Boston.

The sad part was that I had sent them all of the paperwork to prove that the money was mine and that I was wiring it to myself from France, and they accused me of giving them a false bank statement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.