Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Screener discretion" and "Final say"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Two instances today of people tweeting AskTSA (one with pictures) about items. AskTSA said they would be OK (but did not point out that nothing AskTSA says is binding at the checkpoint.

AskTSA told one woman she could take cookie dough. The screener confiscated $80 of dough.

AskTSA told a man he could take a small drill bit/punch guides and included a picture. One airport didn't have a problem, the second airport confiscated the items even after he showed them AskTSA's tweet telling him the items were OK.

AskTSA response: the screener has the 'final say'.

TSA defenders: what exactly is the point of AskTSA if it means nothing at the checkpoint?
Great question, Dee. Cookie dough is allowed in carry-on bags. Enjoy!

I note that @ASKTSA didn't even provide a qualifier re "screener discretion".
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The people I know who spend the most time frothing at the mouth about TSA and its Officers are also the ones I know who seem to have the most questionable incidents, including candy bar incidents.

Others who just deal with this stuff seem to sail through with --- as they say in the candy business, no muss, no fuss.

It doesn't make TSA look good or bad if you "appeal" to a supervisor or even the FSD. Even though it's neither, it has a military/law enforcement-type of chain of command and if the boss says candy bars are OK, they are OK.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
The people I know who spend the most time frothing at the mouth about TSA and its Officers are also the ones I know who seem to have the most questionable incidents, including candy bar incidents.

Others who just deal with this stuff seem to sail through with --- as they say in the candy business, no muss, no fuss.

It doesn't make TSA look good or bad if you "appeal" to a supervisor or even the FSD. Even though it's neither, it has a military/law enforcement-type of chain of command and if the boss says candy bars are OK, they are OK.
So your counsel would be to just lay back and enjoy it, right?

When a person challenges a screeners authority or knowledge of SOP that does cause the screener to "look bad". It shows that they don't know their job nearly as well as they think they do. It could lead to a remark on an evaluation or extra attention from management.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Are you suggesting people like Amy Van Dyken, paralyzed former Olympian, was 'frothing at the mouth about TSA and its Officers' when she complained about her treatment?

If so, why did TSA immediately issue a public apology?

Some people, generally without any sort of physical limitation or unusual medical or professional gear or breast milk or baby food, assume that because they don't encounter problems, it is because they are doing things right. They assume that any pax who encounters difficulties only does so because they were 'frothing' and they deserve retaliatory treatment.

The only 'frothing' I see is from people who think that because they are doing everything right and showing proper deference and humility, TSA never retaliates against them. I never understand why people who are lucky enough to have never personally had a bad experience get so worked up and frothy about people who have encountered problems.

Last edited by chollie; Jul 13, 2017 at 10:33 am
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:17 pm

I guess this qualifies as a "final say" action by a screener:

Hey @PHLAirport, why were my less than 100ml fluids confiscated for my diet restricted kid at security?! No other TSA screen did this to us.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
About a year ago, the person giving me a bag rape pulled out my screwdriver bits and said they were not permitted. I informed him that those tools had enough miles and trips for their own frequent flyer account and no one in airports all over the USA including the one I was standing in had ever had a problem with them. He said he had discretion. I said let's talk to your boss. The FSM would be fine.

Uh, oh.

A very unhappy important looking man came into our presence asking what the problem was. The screener said that I was trying to take drill bits on the plane. I said the screener was an idiot because it was screwdriver bits and not drill bits. Well, I did not say idiot, but I did not say he was a genius either. Anyway, the FSM overruled him and said they were OK. However, he gave the screener permission to check everything in my bag. Everything. He used enough little swabs on a stick to wax a Lincoln. It took a loooooong time, but I had plenty and I was enjoying this. The FSM stood there the whole time. In the end, I thanked him for coming, but he did not seem to have gotten a bit happier.

Woo Hoo! I got to keep my screwdriver bits. However, I got to thinking about this. I could have replaced the whole lot at Home Depot or Lowe's for about $25. That was a whole bunch of risk for very little gain. I should have just let it go, but I do not tolerate fools easily. It is a serious character flaw. I guess there were at least two idiots in that group and one of them was not the FSM.
Letting them be taken would encourage the guy the next time around. You did the right thing standing up to him.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
https://twitter.com/deeeepad/status/885202841962516484

I note that @ASKTSA didn't even provide a qualifier re "screener discretion".
Has anyone successfully submitted a claim for damages for improperly taken items?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Has anyone successfully submitted a claim for damages for improperly taken items?
I don't think TSA has ever admitted to improperly taking a passenger's possessions.

I've seen questions on @ASKTSA about retrieving items taken at checkpoints, innocuous items, not weapons, and the response is a resounding "NO!"

TSA claims all items are "surrendered voluntarily" and once "surrendered" they are gone.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as 'improperly taken'.

The screener always has the 'final say', regardless of what the published 'rules' appear to say.

This is why TSA in ND airports is now routinely confiscating snacks. No rules prohibit snacks, but the screener always has the 'final say' and the screener does not have to explain or justify his decision.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:23 am

Letting them be taken would encourage the guy the next time around. You did the right thing standing up to him.
The problem is that, most people do not have the time for an extended grope session. The average Joe wants to get in and out.

Edit: We need a wiki for what is taken, and where.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
The problem is that, most people do not have the time for an extended grope session. The average Joe wants to get in and out.

Edit: We need a wiki for what is taken, and where.
^^
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:13 am

I like to travel with 3 or 4 granola bars in my back pack, but under final say I have no idea if they will be taken away. Can I at least stand there and watch them go into the trashcan, or into the screener's pockets? I'm in RDU, BTW.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:41 am

I like to travel with 3 or 4 granola bars in my back pack, but under final say I have no idea if they will be taken away. Can I at least stand there and watch them go into the trashcan, or into the screener's pockets? I'm in RDU, BTW.
If they are taken away, yes, stand there until the screener throws them in the trash can. I'd even call a supervisor in an attempt to make certain in goes in the trash.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
If they are taken away, yes, stand there until the screener throws them in the trash can. I'd even call a supervisor in an attempt to make certain in goes in the trash.
I guess screener has final say if they go into his mouth, Lol.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess screener has final say if they go into his mouth, Lol.
You have a choice to check them, take them to your car, or abandon them. Take them back to go check them, rip the wrappers off, take a bite from each one, then tell the screener you changed your mind and want to abandon them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.