Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

From today's TSA blog- desire for "curb-to-gate secure environment"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold

Today's post (https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2017/06/12/...ion-task-force) on the new blog contains the statement (bolding mine):

"One of the primary goals is to create a curb-to-gate secure travel environment that is less invasive and more secure."

Cue debate on possible expansion of TSA authority to landside areas...

Also in the post:

"The more information you share with us, the more efficiently and effectively we can protect you. By identifying and separating trusted travelers, like those enrolled in DHS trusted traveler programs from those who pose more of a risk, we are able to provide more targeted security procedures."

Cue additional debate on privacy concerns...

Last edited by Maxwell Smart; Jun 12, 2017 at 10:26 am
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Today's post (https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2017/06/12/...ion-task-force) on the new blog contains the statement (bolding mine):

"One of the primary goals is to create a curb-to-gate secure travel environment that is less invasive and more secure."

Cue debate on possible expansion of TSA authority to landside areas...

Also in the post:

"The more information you share with us, the more efficiently and effectively we can protect you. By identifying and separating trusted travelers, like those enrolled in DHS trusted traveler programs from those who pose more of a risk, we are able to provide more targeted security procedures."

Cue additional debate on privacy concerns...
Blue highlight - but even if you don't share information with us, we can still give you PreCheck for free.

Kinda like liquids: they are hazardous in large amounts but we will throw them all away in the same barrel

~~

According to this, backscatter with updated software is on its way back:

Last edited by petaluma1; Jun 12, 2017 at 11:26 am Reason: To add information
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Blue highlight - but even if you don't share information with us, we can still give you PreCheck for free.

Kinda like liquids: they are hazardous in large amounts but we will throw them all away in the same barrel

~~

https://twitter.com/DROIDSNOTION/sta...14882274996224
Had to go into "reply" mode to see the Twitter link. Here it is spread out: https: // twitter-dot-com/DROIDSNOTION/status/874314882274996224
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Had to go into "reply" mode to see the Twitter link. Here it is spread out: https: // twitter-dot-com/DROIDSNOTION/status/874314882274996224
I can see it in Chrome but not Firefox.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: QFF

https://twitter.com/DROIDSNOTION/sta...14882274996224
That is a bot account spewing random crap at US Gov accounts that the programmer would like to see
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
That is a bot account spewing random crap at US Gov accounts that the programmer would like to see
Even if they brought back the Cancer Boxes, there's no room at any checkpoint I've ever seen. Also, I believe the TSA gave them up to the GSA for property disposal. You can probably buy one at an auction for $50.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if they brought back the Cancer Boxes, there's no room at any checkpoint I've ever seen. Also, I believe the TSA gave them up to the GSA for property disposal. You can probably buy one at an auction for $50.
TSA has no issues with wasting taxpayer monies based on prior history.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
Thanks for that information. However, I have seen other articles that suggest that backscatter with ATR is coming back, concerns about radiation be daxxed.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:26 am

I have seen other articles that suggest that backscatter with ATR is coming back, concerns about radiation be daxxed.
Any links for articles with substance? The references I found via google were all short on details.

Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by dburns
Any links for articles with substance? The references I found via google were all short on details.

Thanks!
You are correct that they were short on details which is why I haven't bothered to comment about them as I've seen them.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
The USG has never, ever admitted to any issue from backscatter radiation. The USG dismissed reports from Europe about radiation issues. The only stated reason for their removal was an inability to address privacy concerns. Backscatter x-ray machines have fewer false positives than the MW scanners, so they are considered to be more efficient from a security standpoint.

It won't surprise me at all to see backscatter machines making a comeback.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Even if they brought back the Cancer Boxes, there's no room at any checkpoint I've ever seen.
If they really want "curb-to-gate" security, they can make room at the checkpoints by moving the current MW scanners and WTMDs to the airport entrances. That way, everyone coming into the airport will be "pre-screened."
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by BSBD
If they really want "curb-to-gate" security, they can make room at the checkpoints by moving the current MW scanners and WTMDs to the airport entrances. That way, everyone coming into the airport will be "pre-screened."
Well, except for airport workers and TSOs. We'd have to give them a bypass because otherwise they might be subject to the same 'inconvenience' the rest of us are.

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone try to come up with an off-site security station for all international US airports, with completely isolation between international and domestic terminals.

If we do something like this, it will not be because of security. It will be because it would be massively expensive and would greatly enrich former DHS employees and their cohorts.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:00 pm

TSA has begun testing the use of fingerprints to confirm ID and BP at DEN and ATL.

The long-term idea is to “automate the travel document checking process by eliminating the need for a boarding pass and identity document,”
The article goes on to say:

If you’ve got TSA PreCheck but haven’t registered your fingerprints, the TSA still wants you to participate “since it provides valuable information to TSA during the proof of concept.”
I thought you had to give up your fingerprints in order to get PreCheck.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/tsa...ingerprint-id/

However, an article in USAToday says this:

The test is for Precheck members, who have already provided fingerprints as part of their application for the expedited screening lanes.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ers/102812802/
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
OK, the obvious question: what happens if a pre-check pax who did not supply fingerprints declines to supply them just because TSA wants them for 'proof of concept'.

Will a Precheck pax who did not supply fingerprints to get Precheck be allowed to fly if s/he refuses to be fingerprinted? Will the police be called in an attempt to force the pax to comply? Or will they be sent to the regular line, subjected to an extended secondary designed to cause a missed flight? Will their Precheck membership be suspended or permanently revoked?

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 13, 2017 at 4:22 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.