Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Results of FOIA to TSA regarding misconduct complaints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Here are results from a #FOIA on @TSA misconduct - ~16K claims in '15, mostly counseling or letter, some suspensions and terminations:
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:54 am

Failure to follow instructions. Why am I not surprised?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
I am very interested to see the story that results from this FOIA. I am not sure the reporter will be very tough:

~15% of the cases resulted in terminations, resignations, or suspensions. In actual numbers that means a couple thousand employees - but the reporter seems to blithely pass that off as "...some...."

In addition there are a whole lot of questions about the meaning of this data. For example:

1. The total number of disciplinary cases exceeds the total number of reported resolutions of cases by almost 1,000. Why the discrepancy? Are they still in process?

2. There appears to be a major discrepancy in the number of suspensions. The list shows ~1,300 suspensions (695 for 1-3 days and 611 for 4-14 days) but then reports only 183 suspensions of 1-14 days.

3. TSOs make up the majority of the 50,000+ employees at TSA so it would seem they should make up the majority of the disciplinary issues. But the breakouts for resolutions for TSOs totals just 94 cases. This is improbable. Let's hope the reporter was smart enough to ask for more information that explains this listing.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Section 107
I am very interested to see the story that results from this FOIA. I am not sure the reporter will be very tough:

~15% of the cases resulted in terminations, resignations, or suspensions. In actual numbers that means a couple thousand employees - but the reporter seems to blithely pass that off as "...some...."

In addition there are a whole lot of questions about the meaning of this data. For example:

1. The total number of disciplinary cases exceeds the total number of reported resolutions of cases by almost 1,000. Why the discrepancy? Are they still in process?

2. There appears to be a major discrepancy in the number of suspensions. The list shows ~1,300 suspensions (695 for 1-3 days and 611 for 4-14 days) but then reports only 183 suspensions of 1-14 days.

3. TSOs make up the majority of the 50,000+ employees at TSA so it would seem they should make up the majority of the disciplinary issues. But the breakouts for resolutions for TSOs totals just 94 cases. This is improbable. Let's hope the reporter was smart enough to ask for more information that explains this listing.
Regarding #2 , I would bet that it's a case where infractions A, B, and C have a penalty of suspension from 1-3 days, infractions DEF have a penalty of suspension from 4-14 days, and GHI have a penalty of suspension 1-14 days.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
OTOH, maybe the individual who assembles this data is the same individual who has been fabricating the Blog's numbers for a decade now.

I've read elsewhere that attendance/tardiness is TSA's top discipline issue.

Poor TSOs. They get hired, they get a fancy set of clothes to wear for two weeks while they vacation, er, attend the 'academy', where they are told they have 'screener discretion', the final word on everything.

Then they go back to the job, exercise 'screener discretion' to come in late or leave early and management gets all upset

What part of 'the screener has the final say' doesn't management get?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.