Wiki Posts
Search

New ID checks at gate on domestic flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by trvlguy1
Keeps us safer.....I'm all for it !
Keeps us safer how? Can somebody please explain the causal mechanism for ID checks making us safer?

I think the phrase you are looking for is post hoc ergo propter hoc.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
While I surely don't need to explain the logical fallacy in your statements, I must say that the whole point is trying to find a middle ground. According to your post, the world would be better off with no security checks anywhere. And while you may like that, I prefer aeroplanes to be gun free zones.
I think that the airlines should issue a single shot drop action gun to every passenger as they enter the plane, at least those that wanted them. All of them would be loaded, but only 10% would have firing pins. None of them would have the ability to be opened to check for a firing pin.

If anyone, or even a group of 6, tried to take over the plane there would be 130 guns pointed back. 13 would be functional and ready to fire. As for those taking over, if it were 5, only a 50% chance one of their guns would be functional.

That is not sarcasm.

That is nonsensism.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by cochinjew
This is not an international airport, nor it is a busy airport. But last week when we boarded UA flight to ORD, it was announced before hand that TSA would be doing an ID check and I showed them my passport and they looked at it and waved me through.
I remember multiple times IDs being checked in Charles de Gaulle, Tokyo Narita etc...
I dont get upset about it...at TLV i would be upset if i were not checked multiple times...
Even at TLV checking for ID has never saved a life.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mikeef
I agree with you. The ID check can only make us safer. As for the "get a job" part, the ID checks are a part of the Full Employment Act of 2013, so they are generating jobs.

In fact, I don't think we go far enough. Let's face it, fake IDs aren't exactly the toughest things in the world to get. I'd prefer that we do fingerprinting. It's a simple procedure: Before you travel, you have to register your fingerprints with DHS. Then, each time you travel, the TSA scans your fingerprints. If it's a match, you're good to go. I'm not sure what good it does, but how can it hurt? After all, a little inconvenience is nothing compared to a 100% guarantee of safety.
You lose me when you try to make the link between fingerprinting everybody and 100% guaranteed safety. I think you lost yourself there too... the part where you say "I'm not sure what good it does" and then somehow this contributes to a "100% guarantee of safety" in the next sentence. Because people who were fingerprinted before and who have a clean record can't become terrorists?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:15 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by javabytes
You lose me when you try to make the link between fingerprinting everybody and 100% guaranteed safety. I think you lost yourself there too... the part where you say "I'm not sure what good it does" and then somehow this contributes to a "100% guarantee of safety" in the next sentence. Because people who were fingerprinted before and who have a clean record can't become terrorists?
Let me help everyone who didn't fully grasp the nature of his proposal:
Step 1: Go to computer and open web-browser
Step 2: Type in google.com in address bar
Step 3: type in "sarcasm"
Step 4: read definition

I think that will help all to understand his post better.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
This happened last week on two different AA flights. Only ID checks, no patdowns or luggage searches. ORD-LAX and LAX-DFW both had 5(!) TSOs working the boarding area.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:24 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
LAX seems particularly bad about this.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by cparekh
Keeps us safer how? Can somebody please explain the causal mechanism for ID checks making us safer? I think the phrase you are looking for is post hoc ergo propter hoc.
I'm quite confident they've never looked for that phrase in their life.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I understand that this option is available when going through security initially and one would have to allow extra time for TSA to do their supersecret identity substantiation. But this brings up the question as to how this is handled when they do a gate ID check. I suspect that in this case the person without an ID would end up missing their flight because TSA would not be able to perform their supersecret identity substantiation in a timely manner.
Well, since last time this gate idiocy appeared in my path (at IAD, if I remember correctly), there were two queues to the gate agents accepting boarding passes, but only one queue which was being checked by TSA, I'm pretty sure the average smarter-than-a-slime-mold passenger could figure out which queue to use...

...then again, there was a line stretching down the concourse for one boarding lane, and no queue for the other, so I might be wrong. And no, it wasn't a priority boarding setup.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:07 am

I've had good luck with using a mobile boarding pass. I shut down my phone the second I scan it to board the plane. If asked to see my boarding pass I get my phone out, slowly start to turn it on, fumble over my password... and then they give up and let me get on the plane.

I also spend a LOT of time fumbling around looking for my ID when asked. They can't stand that, so they'll just let me get on the plane.

"Sheep" passengers are all too likely to have multiple forms of identification and just hand it over to the TSA before being asked. They probably offer them a few bucks as a tip for helping "keep us safe."

I learned the mobile boarding pass trick in Atlanta when I had a connecting flight coming back from overseas. Since there was no travel document inspection at the international transfer security checkpoint, my boarding card had no scribbles on it. The TSA woman went crazy, as if I must have snuck in. I had to explain that they don't write on boarding cards at all airports. She was too befuddled and let me on the plane. After all, nobody ever changes planes in Atlanta.

The whole thing is theatrics, but I'm baffled by the need to show a boarding pass or identification without matching the two. Since they have no logic, the answer is "We have reasons we can't tell you." Anyone with an IQ above 20 knows that this translates to, "We have no legitimate reason to do this." It's condescending to our intelligence to argue "special secrets classified far above your level."

I dream of the "Great Airline Revolt." I've had flights in Newark, Raleigh, Honolulu Chicago, Cincinnati, Atlanta, and San Francisco all delayed due to gate inspections. It costs the airlines thousands of dollars per minute when a flight pushes back late. The airlines don't stick up for themselves, but I think they should send the TSA the bill. "You imposed a surprise inspection, it delayed our flight, here's how much it cost. Did you find anything? We didn't think so."

Where is Kip Hawley to restate his famous line? He said, "I think we should get it right at the checkpoint."

How do you think the people feel who have landed, are sitting on the taxiway desperate to get home or make a connection, but they can't get to a gate because the TSA is trying to figure out why someone from Alaska or Hawaii isn't carrying a passport, or if "520P" on a boarding pass means "flight number 520" or "5:20 pm" or "52-OP, which could be a code word for terrorists?

As we know from the "leaked" TSA manual from some time back, the list of gates with surprise inspections is published by the airport's TSA staff every morning. I think they have a responsibility to notify the airline. The flight can have its boarding time changed. It still screws people on short connections, but a delay is still less likely. If the TSA insists on these pointless exercises, they could at least do so without economic damage.

The only power we have is to make a DOT complaint so that the pie chart in the monthly statistics shows the number of flights delayed by the TSA.

Last edited by Mats; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:31 am
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:16 am

passenger identification

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
ID is not needed to enter or be in secure area.
In what country?
United States. See also: FlyerTalk: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...-policies.html

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
Hate to break it to you but that's still showing some form of ID. A government issued ID with your photo is just the easiest.
Providing information, possibly verbally, that assists someone in determining one's identity is not the same as presentation of documentation of one's identity (i.e., as "showing ID"). In this country, we're not even required to have such documentation, much less to carry it with us and present it upon demand.

Originally Posted by trvlguy1
My point was.......its better than not checking at all
No way. Please see the the Identity Project's "What's wrong with showing ID?" for a nice summary of the problem.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:21 am

TSA and Delta

I recently had this done to me at RDU. I queried the TSA agent how this makes us safer and it got heated. It became a delta issue when the gate agent stepped between me and the TSA agent and started yelling that checking ID's was not silly and I had a bad attitude. Because of that bad attitude, she was going to deny me boarding. We went around some more about the merits of checking ID and while not saying that I was a security risk, she was saying she did not want me onboard. Eventually, I said I wanted my bag back and she then said that she was not denying me boarding. I said, "it sounded like it" as I gave my boarding pass to another gate agent who beeped me thru. It was weird to have a gate agent jump in my face in defense of TSA and try to deny me boarding.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:46 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by cubbie00
I recently had this done to me at RDU. I queried the TSA agent how this makes us safer and it got heated. It became a delta issue when the gate agent stepped between me and the TSA agent and started yelling that checking ID's was not silly and I had a bad attitude. Because of that bad attitude, she was going to deny me boarding. We went around some more about the merits of checking ID and while not saying that I was a security risk, she was saying she did not want me onboard. Eventually, I said I wanted my bag back and she then said that she was not denying me boarding. I said, "it sounded like it" as I gave my boarding pass to another gate agent who beeped me thru. It was weird to have a gate agent jump in my face in defense of TSA and try to deny me boarding.
One word: paranoia

Followed by "The sky is falling, the sky is falling"
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:00 pm

I suggest that not only does ID not make us safer, it makes us less safe.

As an example, a teacher of mine had escaped Cuba in a small boat in the 1960s. This made him a criminal fugitive in the eyes of the Cuban government. A few years later, he was on a Miami to Tampa flight that was hijacked to Havana. (in Flyertalk parlance, MIA to TPA; irrops; HAV) He hid/destroyed his ID when he realized that the flight was crossing the Florida Straights. He avoided recapture partly because it was plausible for an American to be traveling without ID back in those days.

To leave the realm of anecdote and cite something verifiable, Petty Officer Robert Stetham was killed by the TWA 847 hijackers because they found his U.S. military ID. Leon Klinghoffer was singled out for death by the Achille Lauro highjackers because his U.S. passport listed his birthplace as Israel.

Do you think that ID made those folks safer? Once the scanning check point has confirmed that I don’t have a weapon or an explosive, why does it matter whether I’m John Smith or Joe Bloggs?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:59 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Epod
Once the scanning check point has confirmed that I don’t have a weapon or an explosive, why does it matter whether I’m John Smith or Joe Bloggs?
Well obviously 9-11, safety, the children, if you have nothing to hide, anything that makes us safer, and identity matters...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.