Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US Customs computer outage - massive delays at airports [Jan 2, 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:54 am
Original Poster

U.S. customs system crashes nationwide, leaving massive lines at airports
https://twitter.com/i/moments/816082137560383488
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A nasty four hour system outage resulting in some passengers taking even longer than 4 hours to be admitted into the US. Sounds like a New Year nightmare for a lot of passengers returning to the US and not expecting it to be worse than anything they've ever experienced before at a US airport of entry.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
At what point does their refusal to process people amount to an unlawful detention? Serious question, because if I arrive at a US port of entry and am not afforded to opportunity to present my documents as a US citizen, whether due to a systems outage or not, I've in effect been detained without recourse.

Here's my passport, I don't care if your systems are down, I'm a citizen.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Must be Putin. Or did someone beat me to it?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
At what point does their refusal to process people amount to an unlawful detention? Serious question, because if I arrive at a US port of entry and am not afforded to opportunity to present my documents as a US citizen, whether due to a systems outage or not, I've in effect been detained without recourse.

Someone on the BA board reported arriving at Austin during the outage and they basically were just waved through immigration, so at least some stations handled it better than others. Of course, now he's worried he'll have problems with his visa later because the entry wasn't recorded but....
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Something similar happened around September 1st, maybe about ten years ago. It was also a very busy travel delay that was supposedly made worse by the time needed to process foreigners entering on new student visas.

On that day, people with GE breezed through, other USA citizens waited one to four hours, and foreign nationals waited up to six hours at ORD.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I read said that during the outage CBP was using alternate clearance procedures which was taking longer. So it seems that they were not refusing to clear people.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:13 am
Suspended

They didn't refuse to process. They decided to do a slow, way more manual process after the outage.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
But what's the process for a US citizen if it's "manual?" Look at passport, look at customs declaration form, stamp, done. That's basically what they still do now even with the automated kiosks. What else can they really do/need to verify before processing a US citizen?

Not trying to be obstreperous, just trying to see what could legitimately back up the line that long. Speaking of US nationals only, obviously some sort of checks are probably required for non-US passengers.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
But what's the process for a US citizen if it's "manual?" Look at passport, look at customs declaration form, stamp, done. That's basically what they still do now even with the automated kiosks. What else can they really do/need to verify before processing a US citizen?

Not trying to be obstreperous, just trying to see what could legitimately back up the line that long. Speaking of US nationals only, obviously some sort of checks are probably required for non-US passengers.
System checks are carried out on all arriving passengers, not just those who do not hold U.S. citizenship.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
...resulting in some passengers taking even longer than 4 hours to be admitted into the US. ..
So really not much change in the normal lineups ?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond

I'm guessing a similar process for Canadian citizens as well (given that Canadians aren't issued any kind of electronic admission document) and the tracking of Canadians entering and exiting is pretty non-existent (especially at land borders).

A French colleague of mine actually found a land border crossing more convenient during the outage as normally he'd have to go inside (pay 7 or 8 dollars) and get a paper i94 document but they couldn't issue them during the outage so they just let him through.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CZBB
So really not much change in the normal lineups ?
4-6 hours of time after landing to clear immigration in the US is far from the normal at major US airports of entry.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
4-6 hours of time after landing to clear immigration in the US is far from the normal at major US airports of entry.
Far from normal? Not hardly at the major international airports at which I have had recent experience (in the last 30 days) in monitoring such activity. 3-4 has been regularly experienced recently both personally and anecdotally at IAD, ORD, FLL and CLT even as it is a bit more than is typically experienced but admittedly up to six is at bit more than should be regularly expected to be experienced.

I re-entered through FLL this past Monday and did not experience nor witness any delays; an "x" on the APC receipt for my spouse incurred only a 10 minute wait to be cleared. Perhaps we arrived before the festivities.

Last edited by Section 107; Jan 4, 2017 at 11:30 am
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Section 107
Far from normal? Not hardly at the major international airports at which I have had recent experience (in the last 30 days) in monitoring such activity. 3-4 has been regularly experienced recently both personally and anecdotally at IAD, ORD, FLL and CLT even as it is a bit more than is typically experienced but admittedly up to six is at bit more than should be regularly expected to be experienced.
Last 5 trips in 2016 in JFK had less than 10-12 people in queue even for non-US citizens. So I guess it depends on what time/airport etc. But seems a stretch to call 4-5 hours normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.