Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CNN commentator Angela Rye outraged over TSA pat-down

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CNN commentator Angela Rye outraged over TSA pat-down

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
She doesn't have tse precheck? Will that avoid this extensive pad down?

I have but I don't fly much domestically so not much experience
Even with Global Entry and/or PreCheck membership, a person can be subjected to this kind of "extensive pat down", more so when PreCheck doesn't show up on the boarding pass than when it does show up on the boarding pass.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I'm pulling for the TSA in this case. Angela Rye's article- mentioning the designer of her dress, her Delta status, etc.- paints the picture of a self-absorbed drama queen who is looking for trouble. Just do what the TSA person needs and be done with it. The TSA person is the same gender, using the back of the hand for the contact--clearly the TSA person isn't trying to feel her up.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
The TSA person is the same gender, using the back of the hand for the contact--clearly the TSA person isn't trying to feel her up.
How do we know the gender of the TSA screener there is the same gender as Angela Rye?

How do we know the TSA screener wasn't trying to feel her up? Some TSA screeners really do try to feel up some passengers. And isn't the order of the day for the TSA doing such gropes to feel up passengers until the screener meets "the resistance" with their hands. That "resistance" being a euphemism for sexual parts of the human body.

The TSA screener was not only using the back of the hand, if the screener were following the standard operating procedure/practice for the situation.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 6:39 am
Original Poster

She doesn't have tse precheck? Will that avoid this extensive pad down?

I have but I don't fly much domestically so not much experience
She has both PreCheck and GE.

ETA:

1. I can't hear the video due to some issue with YouTube - but I've read that the screener asked Ms. Rye at some point during the assault, if she had "a sock in her thing" - is that true and was the question referring to her genital area?

<deleted>

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 27, 2016 at 9:07 am Reason: Off topic
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pulling for the TSA in this case. Angela Rye's article- mentioning the designer of her dress, her Delta status, etc.- paints the picture of a self-absorbed drama queen who is looking for trouble. Just do what the TSA person needs and be done with it. The TSA person is the same gender, using the back of the hand for the contact--clearly the TSA person isn't trying to feel her up.
So same gender groping is just fine?

The screener used the front of her hands too, particularly on the legs and groin.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster

You don't know that for certain and you don't know that the screener isn't enjoying what she is doing.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
So same gender groping is just fine?

The screener used the front of her hands too, particularly on the legs and groin.
Same or different gender, same difference. Same gender sexual assault is still sexual assault. Even if the excuse includes "just following orders" and it being done while the actor is in uniform on the job.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by petaluma1

ETA:

1. I can't hear the video due to some issue with YouTube - but I've read that the screener asked Ms. Rye at some point during the assault, if she had "a sock in her thing" - is that true and was the question referring to her genital area?
My understanding from the video is that the screener wanted her right boot, and she then wanted her socks from her bag. The "your thing" then refers to her bag.

The sock conversation only comes after the screener asks for her boot.

-- DanishFlyer
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1

ETA:

Totally other topic:

2. I've read many comments on AskTSA about people leaving rings, wedding rings especially, at checkpoints. Is TSA now making people remove rings before going through WTMD or scanner?
I thought pre check would avoid this! Don't you go thru a scanner where you raise your hands, arms and stand up? She chose pat down instead of the scanner?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought pre check would avoid this! Don't you go thru a scanner where you raise your hands, arms and stand up? She chose pat down instead of the scanner?
Pre Check guarantees nothing. TSA will use regular screening at times, TSA does not offer Pre at all airports/security lanes, and not all airlines participate. Buying TSA Pre Check is an empty promise of Bait and Switch
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: A few, *G,
The scanner showed a hit on areas around her genitalia, this and other things are in the articles linked. Why offer an op-ed about procedure instead of reading Angela's account of what actually happened.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by surreycrv
The scanner showed a hit on areas around her genitalia, this and other things are in the articles linked. Why offer an op-ed about procedure instead of reading Angela's account of what actually happened.
IIRC, the scanner showed 3 hits to the "groin" area and one hit on one of her boots. Of course, the assault produced no contraband (unless something was hidden in her bra which the screener failed to search in violation of search protocol) and was a total waste of time and resources.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:26 am

In any other situation, a machine which produces a false alarm rate of 99.99+% would be disused. Immediately. Forthwith.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:26 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately, no.

You can get the "random" alert at the WTMD, for one (e.g. you pass through without an alarm, but a half second or so later, it beeps, and the readout above the WTMD says "RND" or something similar).

They then direct you to the nude-o-scope, and following the nude-o-scope, they may want to do a groping.

Heck, I recall traveling with GE and being subject to a private room TSA groping and interrogation (with threats made to call in the FBI by the screeners) on one occasion when their ETD machine was busted and kept alarming on me. GE didn't prevent that at all, and the screeners just kept saying, "This day we're in, you can never be too safe."

Last edited by exerda; Dec 27, 2016 at 9:37 am
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeBas
In any other situation, a machine which produces a false alarm rate of 99.99+% would be disused. Immediately. Forthwith.
Seems to me a machine that even approaches a 50% false alarm rate would be junked forthwith. Of course TSA screeners have a 95% miss rate so maybe the machines are still better than their human counterparts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.