Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flying out of CPH airport heading to US - what/why is this form required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying out of CPH airport heading to US - what/why is this form required

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
muh racism. Most of TSA's staff are, in fact, "multi-ethnic" themselves.
Read what I wrote.

Racist profiling is part of the DHS's way.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dates Back to TWA 800

This emergency contact form dates back to the aftermath of the TWA 800 explosion back in 1996(?). Airlines are required to ask for a contact but you are not obligated to provide one.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
This emergency contact form dates back to the aftermath of the TWA 800 explosion back in 1996(?). Airlines are required to ask for a contact but you are not obligated to provide one.
At the gates for SAS CPH-US flights, SAS staff at CPH often insists Americans flying to the US are obligated to provide contact info and complete their (SAS) paper form. Amusingly, when flying US carriers out of CPH to the US, I'm never hassled to complete such paper forms in the way SAS does it when I've been flying SAS to the US.

The non-US citizens and US dual-citizens may be able to get away without filling the SAS form at the airport when flying SAS on CPH-US routes in a way not applicable to those of us using just US passports on these SAS routes between CPH and the US.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
On my recent trip to PVG on SAS, Altea the DCS prompted the LH checkin agent in MUC to ask me if I would like to leave my emergency contact details So my guess is that this is hard coded into the DCS.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
On my recent trip to PVG on SAS, Altea the DCS prompted the LH checkin agent in MUC to ask me if I would like to leave my emergency contact details So my guess is that this is hard coded into the DCS.
Hard coded?

SAS uses paper forms for this at check-in and/or the gate at CPH.

For a company that tried to be at the forefront of customer-facing technology in the industry, the paper forms are just an amusing hassle.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I always used to provide the name and number of the head of the FAA - figured, if the plane were to crash, somebody should probably let her know.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I always used to provide the name and number of the head of the FAA - figured, if the plane were to crash, somebody should probably let her know.
Did you memorize both items to convey for this purpose, or was this a case of making use of the online search tools each and every time flying internationally?

I have written down Mickey Rodent on these forms, but I wouldn't know Disney's phone number off the top of my head. 1-800-DISNEY may work to make sure the wrong person isn't contacted, right?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I used to use the address for Wrigley Field.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1998 Newspaper Article

Here's an Augusta Chronicle article from September 1998 that pretty much tells the story.

the Transportation Department will begin Oct. 1 [1998] requiring airlines to ask passengers for next-of-kin information. While the rule initially will apply only to U.S. citizens arriving or departing on international flights, and answering will be voluntary, the requirement may be expanded to domestic flights one day.
Note that they never expanded this idiocy to domestic flights.

Under terms of the new rule, airlines must ask for the information before passengers board a flight. United Airlines plans to post signs at its gates and offer its ticket agents scripts for speaking with passengers. Northwest Airlines plans to print a form on the back of its boarding passes.

In all cases, passengers can opt not to answer. Also, the information will be destroyed once the flight reaches its destination. In addition, the rule prohibits airlines from using the next-of-kin information for marketing.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
While some may consider this requirement an idiocy, there is a legitimate purpose for that rule:
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
While some may consider this requirement an idiocy, there is a legitimate purpose for that rule:
SAS paper forms in an era of electronic data flows and mass surveillance of booked passengers on US flights (internationally inbound or outbound) does seem to make the SAS@CPH requirement seem like idiocy even to those of us who know full well the history behind the emergency contact demand made upon airlines by the USG.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep. Congress sure jumped on this after PA 103 -- only took them ten years.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Did you memorize both items to convey for this purpose, or was this a case of making use of the online search tools each and every time flying internationally?

I have written down Mickey Rodent on these forms, but I wouldn't know Disney's phone number off the top of my head. 1-800-DISNEY may work to make sure the wrong person isn't contacted, right?
It was Jane Garvey (still remember that), and I remembered the phone number at the time, but no longer do.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:54 am

I used to use the address for Wrigley Field.
Elwood, is that you?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:23 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G

the State Department had difficulty locating relatives because many first names were just initials, and some last names were incomplete.
That's no longer the case so the purpose is not really legitimate now.

Was it possible to buy an international ticket with just an initial instead of your first name in 1988?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.